Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: BT nationwide rolling out G.INP/PhyR and changes to DLM.  (Read 86191 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: BT nationwide rolling out G.INP/PhyR and changes to DLM.
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2015, 05:23:31 PM »

Speaking only from an engineering perspective, I find SKY's Tier 2 support to be the best there is on DSL diagnosis. I have no idea how hard it is for the EU to get to talk with these guys, or if it's even allowed, but when it comes to diagnostics they are very much on the ball.

Just thought I'd chuck in my two-penneth, seeing as I'm usually pro-BT.  ;) :)

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2015, 06:10:23 PM »

The best place to look for Sky outages is the Easynet service portal - not posting link for obvious reasons but you're all bright people so I have no doubt you'll find it.

All I can say is that on the very few occasions I have had to deal with Sky I've had no problems with getting past T1 support & T2 had a BTO lad around on the one occasion it warranted it within 3 days (I turned down the Saturday appointment) - said "lad" now has a s/w* radio (up to 30MHz) & reads this forum :D

I compare that with previous ISPs (Be, Zen, Nildram -as was) and the only one which came up to scratch when something went wrong before was UKOnline (now Sky).

I appreciate I sound like a fanboi here but Sky hit a core network traffic peak of 2.2Tbps on xmas day - it just works but don't expect support on stuff like rdns etc. Horses for courses.

*shortwave not software
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 06:14:49 PM by rizla »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2015, 06:31:17 PM »

All I can say is that on the very few occasions I have had to deal with Sky I've had no problems with getting past T1 support & T2 had a BTO lad around on the one occasion it warranted it within 3 days (I turned down the Saturday appointment) - said "lad" now has a s/w* radio (up to 30MHz) & reads this forum :D

Ha ha ........... if it wasn't for the 'Lad' reference ..... that could have been me !!  ;) ;D On a serious note (as Kitz is aware), I point as many folk as I can, engineers and EU's alike, to this incredibly informative site. It genuinely helps break down barriers with disgruntled customers.

I'm happy you can get through to Tier 2 so easily ...... so with that in mind, for any SKY users looking on who may need assistance, to get to T2 it's 0345 366 1038 (Opt 4). They ensure you have to listen to ALL the options before you select one  :'(.   

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2015, 10:24:00 PM »

Black Sheep BT ISP customers need to navigate through the ISP call center firewall before getting close to talking to someone on the Tier 2 support  ;D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2015, 10:52:48 AM »

Alas, I'm a stranger to which ISP offers the EU the best technical availability, as we have certain numbers to ring and more-often-than-not, have to quote a job specific fault reference number to verify we are indeed an OR engineer.

I do however have a picture built up in my mind of who's who, gauged from the level of abuse I get when visiting the EU's premises. Again, IMHO SKY appear to be easy to deal with. I would say (again IMHO), TT are the worst.

*PS - I put Opt 4 in a previous post above ..... it's actually Opt 5*.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2015, 11:42:31 AM »

That's good news, finally BT are making some progress.

Two questions:
1) May I ask how you found this out? I've checked TBB and ISPReview and both websites don't seem to have an official announcement yet, so I can only assume this must be an internal Openreach announcement not currently available to general public?
2) I presume changes will be noticed at some point during Q1 of 2015, or do you believe this may go on for a longer timeframe?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2015, 12:28:52 PM »

I dont expect there will be an official press release announcement. The more observant will start noticing soon enough.  Certainly by the end of the month
Anything DLM related is hard to get hold of and often obscured in amongst other stuff... (more so since the ASSIA case)... so quite often you are reading about one thing and you realise theres a snippet about something else. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2015, 12:29:49 PM »

I see. Fair enough, thanks.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2015, 12:46:19 PM »

Incidently on my billion phyr is only enabled on the upsteam modem side, as I left it on its defaults.  So for me to use it I would have to resync.  It be interesting to see if the DSLAM does a modem check first for compatibility.

Mark07

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2015, 07:06:31 PM »

Just had my ECI swapped out for a Huawei by Openreach today so going to look out for this on my line (once I have time to unlock it / keep it off so DLM doesn't interfere  ;D )

ardsar

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2015, 10:55:29 PM »

Incidently on my billion phyr is only enabled on the upsteam modem side, as I left it on its defaults.  So for me to use it I would have to resync.  It be interesting to see if the DSLAM does a modem check first for compatibility.

Just checked my billion 8800AXL and phyr is only enabled on downstream - this was the default.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2015, 11:20:53 AM »

Hmm I wonder if this is why my Billion lost a large chunk of 'attainable speed' prior to Xmas?
I enabled PhyR on the DS earlier this week during the initial set up and it seemed to recoup that lost speed but I didn't associate it with this at the time.

I have been loaned another Asus DSL-68U and noticed this morning with G.INP enabled my attainable rate is roughly 85/24 and holding steady, yet with PhyR on the Billion and ZyXEL its at roughly 61/22. It makes you wonder if the Broadcomm/ECI chipsets run slightly on the cautious side by restricting the DS for stability purposes compared to the Mediatek chipset which has no restrictions.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 11:45:31 AM by simoncraddock »
Fritzbox 7490 l Plusnet FTTC

ardsar

• Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2015, 12:51:37 PM »

Hmm I wonder if this is why my Billion lost a large chunk of 'attainable speed' prior to Xmas?
I enabled PhyR on the DS earlier this week during the initial set up and it seemed to recoup that lost speed but I didn't associate it with this at the time.

I have been loaned another Asus DSL-68U and noticed this morning with G.INP enabled my attainable rate is roughly 85/24 and holding steady, yet with PhyR on the Billion and ZyXEL its at roughly 61/22. It makes you wonder if the Broadcomm/ECI chipsets run slightly on the cautious side by restricting the DS for stability purposes compared to the Mediatek chipset which has no restrictions.

With all the issues with the asus I wouldn't trust what it reports, I think it's too optimistic.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2015, 01:58:10 PM »

With all the issues with the asus I wouldn't trust what it reports, I think it's too optimistic.

The issues with the ASUS have mostly been down to the 'spectrum' process. I've found that after killing that process that the device has been considerably more stable here. But I suspect simoncraddock might be right in that the BDCM's and Infineon's run a tad more cautiously compared to the MediaTek's.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2015, 02:35:30 PM »

Please quote actual sync speeds and snrm rather than just attainable thanks.

Only quoting attainable doesnt have much meaning on its own because its reliant on the coding of the firmware on that device.

Also the asus device isnt stable, so its unfair to compare it to devices that are stable.

Its not always right to go after that extra few mbit of sync speed, on my line the zyxel syncs higher than the billion, but it had a higher rate of ES, plus its buggy firmwares put me off, so I chose the billion for every day use. 
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 02:37:36 PM by Chrysalis »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

anything