Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: Attainable sync and SNRm  (Read 42097 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Attainable sync and SNRm
« Reply #90 on: February 16, 2015, 11:48:38 PM »

b*cat nods whilst thinking about the Tesco slogan: "Every little helps."
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #91 on: February 17, 2015, 12:45:42 AM »

b*cat nods whilst thinking about the Tesco slogan: "Every little helps."

I look forward to the SSFP MK4 for a little more help and that MK2 just throw it in the bin  :thumbdown:

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #92 on: February 17, 2015, 10:14:25 PM »

My next project 09 will be to mount the HG612 close to the master socket and use a small patch cable from SSFP to HG612 (RJ11 to RJ11) and then use two cat5 cables one for the modem and the other from the Lan2 port on HG612 to modem to gather stats.

As there is quite a lot of electronic equipment in the PC room this experiment is to see if the HG612 modem picks up less interference when it's isolated (moved further away) from possible disturbers.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #93 on: February 20, 2015, 09:29:09 PM »

Update will cancel project 09 and go to project 10 UPS as most of the crc's/errored seconds come in through the mains via the power supply unit to HG612 it's time to look into some UPS units this one seems cheap http://www.ebuyer.com/113906-apc-be400-uk-240-watts-400-va-input-230v-output-230v-back-ups-be400-uk

But all I want is the HG612 and Router to be isolated from the mains and use the ups to supply power.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #94 on: February 20, 2015, 10:04:24 PM »

Perhaps you should try running the modem and router from a fully charged car battery before spending any money on an UPS?  :-\

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #95 on: February 20, 2015, 10:47:11 PM »

Perhaps you should try running the modem and router from a fully charged car battery before spending any money on an UPS?  :-\

I did that for a while in order to eliminate any potentially mains borne interference from within my home, but using a motorised golf trolley battery rather than a car battery, in conjunction with a laptop running on its own battery power.

It did serve its purpose, in that it confirmed my mains power as 'clean'.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #96 on: February 20, 2015, 10:57:59 PM »

I don't have a spare car battery the only one I have is in the car, though I do have a portable car battery jump starter one like this.

Would it work ?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #97 on: February 20, 2015, 11:03:41 PM »

I suspect you could use it.  :-\  My understanding of such devices is that they have a sealed lead-acid battery inside. So ensure that it is fully charged and then connect the two devices, ensuring that you observe the correct polarity.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #98 on: February 20, 2015, 11:19:46 PM »

I suspect you could use it.  :-\  My understanding of such devices is that they have a sealed lead-acid battery inside. So ensure that it is fully charged and then connect the two devices, ensuring that you observe the correct polarity.

Great the one I have has a cigarette socket output and have that adapter to a 2.5mm female DC plug so it may be an easy job to setup, will be sure the polarity is correct before any attempt to connect the device  ;) 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 12:42:04 AM by NewtronStar »

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #99 on: February 20, 2015, 11:41:00 PM »

You could do with a small fuse (say 2 or 3 amps) in the lead from that unit as a lead acid battery can push out a lot of current and could set a fire if you had a short.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #100 on: February 20, 2015, 11:55:28 PM »

Have just pulled the jump starter out of car boot and I am testing the cigarette socket output to a 2.5mm female DC plug and its showing 12.74V inner being + and outer being -

So all should be good to go once I'm ready  :-X scary or what  :o

Ps if you don't see me posting here for quite a few days you will know the experiment failed IE: the HG612 got fried  :(
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 12:41:38 AM by NewtronStar »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #101 on: February 21, 2015, 12:24:19 AM »

Have just tested the car jump starter on the D-Link DSL-2640B and it powers on and does it's business  :) it's looking for an ADSL signal  :D

EDIT: now on battery power
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 01:27:00 AM by NewtronStar »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #102 on: February 21, 2015, 01:32:20 AM »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #103 on: February 21, 2015, 10:07:37 PM »

It did serve its purpose, in that it confirmed my mains power as 'clean'.

Thats kind of what i have found with 6 hours on the battery power and 6 hours using the mains power and no big changes though i would have preferred a much longer test period of 4 days but don't know how long the battery could keep the device's running before getting close to low voltage which can also stress out electronic componets.

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #104 on: February 22, 2015, 07:35:33 AM »

I get a small reduction in total ES by using a BT mains conditioner of only about 10-20% but there is a much bigger reduction in CRC and the odd SES.   I concluded that my mains carried noise is just odd spikes and not the main background noise.   Just running the modem on the conditioned mains give most of this benefit but better results came if the modem and router are on the mains conditioner and there is only wireless access to the router.  I guess noise goes up the Ethernet cables from other devices.

if you try again I would look to see if the CRC's rather than the ES change.  I found the odd CRC spikes (only giving one ES) had the number of CRC in the spikes markedly reduced.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9