Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: impressed with router performance  (Read 2092 times)

mand

impressed with router performance
« on: February 07, 2008, 11:24:18 PM »

Thought I'd share this:
Rebooted the netgear d834gv3 this morn - did a firmware upgrade the other day. At 9am my noise margin was about 12-8db on routerstats before reboot. This pushed my synch upto the next band so my ip profile should go upto 4mbps.
Came home to see margin dropping by 5pm but slowly. By 7.30pm onwards it has been between -2db to -4db most of the time.
The netgear has held on and not lost connection once. My main gripe is contention - I think. Can't get on bt speedtester but bbmax tester gives download speed of just under 200kbps at worst to 500kbps at this time of night. This seems to be below bt acceptable speed limits.
My exchange is not marked as having a contention problem. My isp want me to use bt speedtest to log speeds but most of the time it seems too busy, so I can't get on!
Think I'll just see what happens for a while as long as everything is working well most of the time.
I assume that there is no problem with negative noise margin for the evening as long as it stays connected?
My telnet numbers still seem no worse either.
Hope anyone else that has adsl problems is making headway.
bye for now
Mand

mr_chris

• Kitizen
Re: impressed with router performance
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 12:20:03 AM »

Hiya mand

I assume that there is no problem with negative noise margin for the evening as long as it stays connected?

Believe it or not, this is your problem. When the noise margin is this low, the router struggles to "hear" the signal because there is more interference (noise) than signal on the line.

That means loads of packets are being corrupted so the router has to re-request ones it misses. If it has to request a lot of packets again, your speed will drop considerably because so much data is having to be requested at least twice!

Most routers will give up at this point and re-sync. The DG834 doesn't and tries to hold on for dear life! This may appear to be a good thing, however it can also be a bad thing, as you are finding out. There is another firmware upgrade due soon that should address this issue somewhat.

Unfortunately it looks like you might have to live with the 3.5Mb profile as the higher sync looks to be a little too much for your line to handle :(
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 12:47:23 AM by mr_chris »
Chris