Computer Software > Windows

Backups

<< < (2/2)

Ducky:
I keep everything on a Synology NAS running in Raid5, although I should also backup this data I don't....... :o

Berrick:
@sheddy

+1 for Cobian (look herehttp://www.cobiansoft.com/cobianbackup.htm) a look. Its free (currently) donateware and offers the ability to configure full backups say on the Monday then incrementals or differentials on the other days. You can also set the number of previous backups to keep before they are deleted as well as using compression if desired.

It offers far more

sevenlayermuddle:
My own backup system is home-brewed, using just some fairly crude shell scripts.   But here are the requirements I set myself....

Saved Data must be in plain form, and not depend upon any tools or utilities for retrieval, these tools may not be around in a few years when I want to retrieve.    Mine end up as .iso images, can be mounted as-is, or burned to a disc and read on any OS.

The system being backed up should not have access to the backups or at least, just read access.   This reduces the chances that malware on the protected system will trash itself and all the backups too.    Mine are performed by a separate server that has read-only access to the system being backed up.

To protect against disasters such as house fires, or burglary, it must be easy to get a copy off-site.   In my case, that's just a case of uploading my latest .iso to cloud and/or burning to a blu ray when important milestones are reached, or when I go away on hols.

The schedule that I settled on keeps one complete copy for each of the last 7 days, then one for each of the previous 12 months, then one for each year gone by.   

sheddyian:
Thanks for all your replies on this.  I'd rather go for something (paid or free) that's had some recommendations from people who use it.

I shall have a look at the different suggestions and see which one(s) I like best, and reply on here

Thanks!

Ian

b4dger:

--- Quote from: sheddyian on January 01, 2015, 11:42:41 PM ---...So, my question - do you do backups?  If so, what software do you recommend?

--- End quote ---

I appreciate this is an ancient thread(!) but I'm a slow reader :)

I'm a bit OCD about backups!
For many years I've been using and recommending SyncBack from 2BrightSparks.  I use the free version which does more than I need, but there are paid for versions as well.

You can take incremental and/or full backups. The files are copied using standard Windows copy, so you can access/read/use your backed up data.

I back my data up daily - I do this manually (a couple of clicks) but you can also schedule it.
I send my data to a few different PCs and external devices. You can backup or 'synchronise' (hence the name) which is useful if you use a laptop while out and about etc.

I would be lost without it and I'm always happy to spread the word about this great product!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version