Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: DSLstats pre-release version 5.3.1 available for download  (Read 11083 times)

Axel Foley

• Memento audere semper
Re: DSLstats pre-release version 5.3.1 available for download
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2015, 05:18:09 AM »

In windows your config settings are held in C:Users\username\Appdata\local so even if you delete/remove the old DSLstats folder and unzipp DSLstats your current settings will survive and be used on Version 5.3.1

Nope: on windows you can configure DSLstats to write config files in the application directory (portable mode), that's what I did. Hence my request.

In the zip file I notice there's no .ini file so overwriting should be safe, but I preferred to ask. :)

Thanks for your comment.

yes it will work but don't delete the DSLstats folder or you will lose the config file thats why I find it's better to let DSLstats send the config/ini file to the appdata folder by default it cause's less hassel when updateing to a new version of DSLstats.

There's no hassle when you update, no matter the location of the config files, because Eric (wisely) doesn't put any config files in the zip, so you don't overwrite anything (proper behaviour for portable apps).

If you change the option right after first installation (first run), you don't lose anything, at first save configuration is created from the start in the exe folder, and that's good.

If you change the option after some time, config files are in win appdata, what I did in my case was copy them to exe folder, run the program, select the option to save them in the exe folder and close. Then deleted win appdata folder after I was sure that config was read from the exe folder.

It would be good if the program would take care automatically of the migration when you change the option, and I would also suggest using a subdirectory for config files to ease config migration/backup. I use many portable apps, so I'm used to these kind of manual processes and it's not a big problem for me.

Thanks for the comments. :)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 05:28:38 AM by Axel Foley »

Axel Foley

• Memento audere semper
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2015, 05:22:18 AM »

Eric, thanks a lot. Didn't see in the changelog the fix you made for the telnet prompt, does this include it?

Yes, that fix is included, but I forgot to include it in the changelog. I'll correct that.

No problem Eric. You should have at least 2-3 new italian users thanks to that update. It wasn't working but I posted the link to 5.3.1 exe telling people that it now the telnet issue was fixed. ;)

I also noticed that you solved the issue of the locale for MDWS uploads, that's great too, thank you.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 05:30:42 AM by Axel Foley »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2015, 07:35:16 AM »

Windows 32bit working fine here and the improvements are as it says on the tin, the only thing that sticks out in Version 5.3.1 is the CPU usage on every sample has gone up from 10% to 30% just wondering if others see this to if not then i'll need to optimize the OS.

Further to the comments earlier, I've remembered that you use a Raspberry Pi, and I guess it's not too surprising that the extra processing in v5.3.1 puts a bit of a strain on the CPU. As I said above, I'll seek to minimise this in the next release.
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2015, 02:43:15 PM »

Seems to be working ok and reporting FEC errors from my DG834DT.

Is there a way to save a graph that been running for some time say 7 days and not the 24hrs max per graph. ?
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2015, 03:07:01 PM »

Not in a very convenient form. You can save the accumulated data for some of the graphs as XML files (Configuration --> Advanced --> Save/Restore XML) and load this data back into the program to view it at some later time. I don't know if anyone actually uses this feature, and it really needs updating, but I won't be able to do that for some time.
  Eric

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2015, 03:17:59 PM »

Seems to be working ok and reporting FEC errors from my DG834DT.

Is there a way to save a graph that been running for some time say 7 days and not the 24hrs max per graph. ?

That's what MyDSLWebStats was created to achieve  ;)
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2015, 03:36:47 PM »

Good point :)
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2015, 11:55:21 PM »

Not in a very convenient form. You can save the accumulated data for some of the graphs as XML files (Configuration --> Advanced --> Save/Restore XML) and load this data back into the program to view it at some later time. I don't know if anyone actually uses this feature, and it really needs updating, but I won't be able to do that for some time.

I used to...   before MDWS.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2015, 07:34:45 AM »

Ah yes, I remember now. :)
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2015, 10:08:56 PM »

I was thinking about using it on the forum  :o
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2015, 09:36:42 AM »

Thats why I run both HG612_modem stats and DSLstats.   Both are great programs but have different uses.

DSLstats is the best for showing real time monitoring whilst HG612_modem stats is excellent for providing long term graphs.
They both work in different ways:-   
Erics program takes the info and plots it straight to a visual graph which you can see things as they happen.
BE's program collects the raw data then you run graphpd to output the graph for the period you want.

.. and now we have Tony's MDWS which nicely brings them together by collecting the data from either prog and maintaining historical visual data.

I used to use the xml files for DSLstats but when I started running HG612_modem stats I tended to use that more for historical data.

I must admit that I quite often delay updating DSLstats purely because I dont want to lose the current running graph.  However have a look at Tony's My DSL WebStats and see if it fits the bill for what you want to do.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: 1 [2]