Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Plusnet Static IP  (Read 3788 times)

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
Plusnet Static IP
« on: January 27, 2015, 01:12:11 PM »

Plusnet have just emailed me to say they are giving me a new Static IP as from 2.3.15. I've not asked for this and as far as I know I've never had a static IP before. Are they making this change for everyone? I thought IPs were allocated every time you logged on/rebooted your router in order to save the limited number of IP addresses available. Is this possibly something to do with the introduction of IPV6? Or am I just a confused old codger!?
Tony

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Plusnet Static IP
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 01:21:49 PM »

In the old days Plusnet would give you a free static IP on request, nowadays you can do it via the members centre at a one off cost of £5.

Perhaps you've had a static IP for some time, and for some reason they need to change it. I've got static IPs at both home and work, hopefully they don't change either of mine!
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 01:42:43 PM »

From looking at your IP address in your posts, you have the same IP now as when you made your very first post to the forum here, so I think its a sure fire bet that you have a static IP. 

When I joined Plusnet the first time round (2003) you were automatically issued a static IP.  If memory serves correct then it was only when they started with the Basic and BroadbandPlus accounts circa 2005 that they changed things and the cheaper accounts got dynamic IP.  iirc the Premier accounts still got a static IP by default for a while after that. 

Re the change of your IP now.  I saw something on their forums pretty recently saying that they were trying to free up some IP blocks and to do this they are having to re-assign some of the really old IPs. 

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 01:49:55 PM »

Found the post I read last week - linky

Quote from: Matthew_Wheeler
Hi guys.

We're currently tidying up our IP address ranges as there's just around 2000 of our customers using nearly 20000 of our IP addresses.

Any gaps in a particular range will take ages to fill up with customers using static IP's.

As a result anyone with a static IP address in a range that's scarcely populated will be moved to a different static IP address.

This will free up more ranges that we can give to our customers.

If there's any further questions let me know.

Then when asked which IPs were affected and which could be affected in future:

Most customers that are affected have been e-mailed already.

The only range left are 212.159.17 and 212.159.48

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 02:11:02 PM »

Thanks Ronski and Kitz.
It seems partly confused old codger syndrome and partly poor communication from Plusnet (having read the link Kitz gave me). Why not publish all the IP addresses they need to alter at the outset and the reasons for so doing?! Having never consciously asked for a static IP and reading all the various postings here and on newsgroups I had always assumed my IP address was not static and you had to ask for one. You would think I would have noticed after all these years!
Tony

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 10:50:25 PM »

Thanks for the info Kitz, looks like I'm ok.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

anything