Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: DLM Banded Profiles?  (Read 45491 times)

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
DLM Banded Profiles?
« on: December 22, 2014, 07:54:50 PM »

It's been a while since I've been here! But I've a question relating to DLM (who doesn't!).

Recently moved to 80/20 fibre, and as expected, my line is taking to it well  :'(

Couple of resyncs have it seems got the connection a banded profile (likely due to lots of ES). I have a very short line, the cab is only around the corner, and I know its all "good copper" when the engineer installed FTTC, unfortunately seems it also suffers from noise.

Mydslwebstats is certainly impressing me (which I'll be making a donation for soon! :) ) and its showing some spikes of noise which I am aware of already.

Mainly, will I ever get a recovery from the 60mbps banded profile the line now seems to be on? We just had a short powercut and the modem resynced at spot on the same sync speed as last night when DLM intervened?

Many Thanks,
Jamie
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: DLM Banded Profiles?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 08:36:34 PM »

Mainly, will I ever get a recovery from the 60mbps banded profile the line now seems to be on? We just had a short powercut and the modem resynced at spot on the same sync speed as last night when DLM intervened?
Many Thanks,
Jamie

Your line has had 3 resyncs in the last 24 hours and 1 on the saturday and your ES/day climbed to 2433 so you must have gone past the DLM ES threshold in that 24 hours.

The Banded profile will not change even after a short power outage as the DLM has already taken action on your line from the 21st of december at 9.08am.

you will need keep the FTTC modem stable from here on (no power outages) for upto 14 days max, My guess you will resync higher than 60mbps after 1 week.

If this is a new FTTC install the DLM will take action on the 2nd day after activation so it has trained your line and see 60mbps as the optimum your line can handle.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 08:48:06 PM by NewtronStar »

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 08:39:18 PM »

you will need keep the FTTC modem stable from here on (no power outages) for upto 14 days max, My guess you will resync higher than 60mbps after 1 week  :)

The intention is to leave the modem on continuously - it always is so hopefully we shall see if it does recover and as long as it doesn't keep going down, then all good :)
Kind Regards
Jamie

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 08:49:27 PM »

When was FTTC activated on your line ?

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 08:53:57 PM »

When was FTTC activated on your line ?

I've had FTTC for 2 years on a 38/2 package.

However I've had 80/20 for four days in total :)
Kind Regards
Jamie

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 09:08:55 PM »

However I've had 80/20 for four days in total :)

Ah I see going from 40/2 to 80/20 the line will go though the wide open phaze and then the DLM will then take control (DLM reset).

I need to ask you did you get a estimated throughput quote for the 80/20 ?

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 09:20:05 PM »

60 - 70 was the quote, however the line is quite unstable according the BTw check which I've attached. However they then changed their minds to anything between 79 and 44.

Crosstalk has also hit the line hard, I was the first 10 on the cab in 2012, and now its full I'm told  :-[
Kind Regards
Jamie

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 09:48:07 PM »

The way I read it the high errored seconds you had put you on interleaved and it seems the errored seconds count has dropped after being interleaved as expected, unfortunately your graphs only start on Dec 21 so this is all we have to work from.

It's one of those waiting games to see if and when you get moved to non-interleaved and then have a look at you Sync speed.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 09:50:57 PM by NewtronStar »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 09:48:29 PM »

Something is up with your line, you have not too bad crosstalk yet the DLM has decided to apply banding and interleaving.  Either that or some bad local wiring/interference issues.

You use powerline adaptors?

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 10:00:31 PM »

You use powerline adaptors?

Always have since Fibre was installed and they've not caused problems in the past?

I do have a noisy line however from previous experiences.
Kind Regards
Jamie

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2014, 10:28:14 PM »

Unfortunately no Powerlines isn't an option, stone walls mean Wifi is usless :(

I had a noisy line before using Powerlines so even though its possible, I'd need to find a way of being able to not use them for 7 days - something which will be difficult at best.

I see looking back you found removing powerlines solved issues, was it FEC errors they were causing?
Kind Regards
Jamie

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2014, 10:43:17 PM »

Unfortunately no Powerlines isn't an option, stone walls mean Wifi is usless :(

I had a noisy line before using Powerlines so even though its possible, I'd need to find a way of being able to not use them for 7 days - something which will be difficult at best.

I see looking back you found removing powerlines solved issues, was it FEC errors they were causing?

Yes high FEC's at 200,000 min where related to my powerline adapters, all you need to do is wait and see, we can only give are estimates and previous experiences but as no two lines are the same it all go's out the window it up to the individual to see the results for themselves yet the FTTC DLM is predictable when you know your own lines capability and comes from months and years of looking at your stats.

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2014, 10:44:55 PM »

I'd slightly changed the setup a few days ago (powerline next to modem plug) so I've adjusted it to how it was before - your hunch they're affecting things maybe right, attainable, snrm and others have increased since I moved them all so shall leave it settle.

These figures are now all flatlining (like they always used to) so I shall now monitor it over new year and see how it all goes.

Thanks for your input and advice on the DLM settling - it's put my mind at rest I may not be stuck this slow forever :)
Kind Regards
Jamie

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2014, 01:10:56 AM »

All good now for a few days so shall see if the DLM progresses and removes that banded profile - I'm not overly worried about interleaving.

From what I understand, there needs to be a progression through the DLM Caution Counters before a change up will be made?

I swapped out the HG612 and the connection drastically improved. The TalkTalk Super router replacement arrived and its now an uptime over 2 days and low error rates so now it seems I play the waiting game!?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 01:26:04 AM by jid »
Kind Regards
Jamie

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2014, 01:48:40 AM »

you need to stay out of red status for the length of caution counters, then it should take action.  I am not sure tho if needs to be green or if amber is ok, kitz or someone else hopefully can tell you.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

anything