Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Kitzy wants...................  (Read 27576 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Kitzy wants...................
« on: September 18, 2006, 01:57:55 AM »

Kitz wants......

Nearly a month ago, I saw one of these on e-buyer.. and ever since...  the geeky bit of me has wanted this new *toy*.

http://www.buffalotech.com/products/product-detail.php?productid=72&categoryid=16

atm..  I have a fairly powerful machine thats switched on 24/7 using leccy, acting basically as a web/ftp/file server.

This machine has a couple of drives attached to it, one of which is basically my backup drive...  and tbh I didnt really like the idea, that both drives were on the same machine, until I got around to putting it on fixed media (once in a blue moon).

A couple of months back the idea was I was gonna build a "proper server" using an old p3, and parts etc were priced up to equip this.

However, since Ive seen this.. the more I want...  ok.. so I may be able to do things a lil bit cheaper (but not much), and this seems to meet my needs, now that theres only me and *the brat*.

Most of the time I use the lappy and the PC is only really switched on so that I can continually work from and access files that are stored on the main PC.
It would also be pretty good to have a central storage for music thats shared by me and my daughter.

• File Server, with groups/user access.
  • FTP Server,
  • Print Server, (means daughter can share printer)
  • Media Server,
  • Backup - to spare drive on main machine.

I think the only thing I'd loose would be the webserver, but thats only a *play thing*, and I woudnt/could dream of hosting kitz.co.uk on there as it would kill my adsl connection.

Sooooooo...  every day I keep looking at this...  waiting for pay day...  and drooling... 
and chris is probably sick of me talking about it. :/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Kitzy wants...................
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 07:40:25 AM »

Hmm... I can see the attraction, but I would be very nervous of any disk storage connected via USB, which is arguably the most unreliable interface on the planet. It has an ethernet interface as well (albeit a bit slower than USB2) so I suppose you could plug it into a spare port on your router or ethernet switch.

For years now I've been using a second PC with a large hard disk as my backup storage. As you rightly say, it's a bit wasteful of electricity, but for me it's a simple and practical solution which doesn't get in the way of actually doing backups (like some backup solutions do).

Eric
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 08:10:28 AM »

mhmm..  Id plug it into a spare port on the router via ethernet.

They do a 10/100/1000 version, but that was quite a bit more and I decided it wasnt really worth paying the extra since Id be limited by the existing network anyhow. Id also looked at the cost of a NAS unit case but by the time Id bought another drive it was almost as much, and didnt have the print/ftp server. 

Like I said earlier the original plan was converting and upspecing an old p3 that is currently a "playmachine" that dual boots with RH, but its only got a 2x20GB HDDs - so by the time Id upspeced that with a bit more ram and drive, then again your talking almost as much and still means a unit on 24/7.  Yeah it would be nice to have a "proper server", but since Ive been leaving a machine on all the time, my leccy bill seems to have gone up quite a bit. :/

I know it isnt the real geek solution of having a dedicated server..  but I think for now it seems to fit what I need.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 09:19:11 AM »

> chris is probably sick of me talking about it. :/

*snore.... WHA? oh... what, no not at all  ::)

Heh - seriously though, I think it's a good idea. Looking at the specs it seems they've thought of pretty much everything you'd need actually.

My only slight concern is how it's going to work FTPing through NAT - if it doesn't support specifying the PASV ports, then the person the other end is gonna have to have either a direct connection to the net, or a NAT with an FTP ALG (application layer gateway, that opens ports intelligently based on what you're using). Can't find any info about it, hopefully it can be tweaked if it doesn't do it "out of the box"

Couple of links for you if you haven't seen them already:

http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Main_Page - Home of OpenLink - alternative firmware for LinkStation
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/LinkStation_General/ - Yahoo Group about the LinkStation
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 10:55:25 AM by mr_chris »
Chris

Accordion

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 12:32:44 PM »

Shall I organise the whipround?

:D

Dave

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 01:18:00 PM »

>> WHA? oh... what, no not at all  ..

hehhhhhh payback is so sweet   :P

(mr_geekygadget_chris)

Thanks for those links chris.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 01:20:20 PM »

>>> Shall I organise the whipround?

oooh yes purlease.

Donations should be sent to .............
 :lol:

Welcome to the forums accordian, nice to to see you *over here* :)
-----

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2006, 01:50:21 PM »

Whats wrong with large slabs of stone and a chisel?  All you have to do is remember where you buried them when you need them.

Foolproof backup, lasts for years  ;).

Did you know that US Government storage centres are stuffed to the gills with backups of important stuff on tape, disks etc that now cannot be read because the equipment used to create the backups is now obsolete and has been scrapped.

Governments never seem to get anything right
Some people are like slinkies: they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Accordion

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2006, 02:40:17 PM »

>>> Shall I organise the whipround?

oooh yes purlease.

Donations should be sent to .............

Welcome to the forums accordian, nice to to see you *over here* :)

I thought it was time to join in - BTW, you can call me Dave.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2006, 02:46:59 PM »

>> Whats wrong with large slabs of stone and a chisel?

the amount of time taken to to write data to the storage medium is a bit slow though, and the stone mason requires the occasional kick start. :D

>>> the equipment used to create the backups is now obsolete and has been scrapped.

lmao... typical.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2006, 02:51:31 PM »

>> I thought it was time to join in - BTW, you can call me Dave.

Welcome aboard Dave... 

just watch out for the occasional bouts of madness from astral and roseway though ;)
-----

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2006, 06:03:48 PM »

I wasn't aware there was a defined protocol for storage of data on stone slabs :lol:

Oh wait, weren't they dreaded IBM 75GXP *deathstar* hard drives - most of them ended up about as much use as stone slabs.... and guess who had one  :-\
Chris

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2006, 07:32:39 PM »

The defined standard is Runes, ISO 2501BC.  Just think, you could still read your data in 3000 years time, I bet your optical disks won't last that long.
Some people are like slinkies: they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Accordion

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2006, 08:20:15 AM »

Stone tablets may be a reliable data storage, but the security issue is another matter. In the Gospel According to Indiana Jones, most people died when attempting to by pass the firewall protecting the oldest known disks of stone.

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2006, 08:59:55 PM »

ps My Mother always said that "I want don't get".
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything