Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: WiFi or Mains  (Read 5662 times)

timp

• Reg Member
WiFi or Mains
« on: November 28, 2006, 11:22:41 PM »

Anyone tried networking using the mains adaptors now on the market?

Which is best for a house that needs to cut down on cables running everywhere and being chewed by the cat? ^-^

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
Re: WiFi or Mains
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 08:33:11 PM »

Son in law has a WiFi network round the house, but this won't reach the workshop/office/gym at the end of the garden (around 50 ft).

So he used a mains adapter type thingie and it works like a charm.  He is well pleased.  Very simple to set up.

Best way to keep the cats away from cabling is to make sure that all exposed cables carry at least 250 volts  >:D.
Some people are like slinkies: they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 10:38:09 PM »

Ive seen the Netgear ones advertised and they seem quite good, but Im afraid I cant speak from personal experience.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 07:40:10 AM »

Best way to keep the cats away from cabling is to make sure that all exposed cables carry at least 250 volts  >:D.

Blimey, you're taking a risk there. Have you noticed whose forum this is? :no:

Eric
  Eric

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 08:59:02 AM »

WiFi anyday. From what I have seen on Solwise, you can have probs with mains if the wiring is poor and is it the case that the two adaptors need to be on the same mains ring?

Indeed Wifi doesn't always go a great range, but within range you have so much flexibility.

When you can't get Wifi in the garage just run a length of cat5 out around the garden and plug it into the router, its far cheaper and more reliable for sure. :)

anything