Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: DNS redirection/capture on TalkTalk  (Read 6211 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
DNS redirection/capture on TalkTalk
« on: December 13, 2014, 10:42:29 AM »

Having seen the reference to the opt out on TalkTalk I thought I'd try to see how this works. I normally use specific DNS servers in my fixed IP setup on my lan so I went and changed the primary server address to one of the DNS server addresses my router gets when it connects (78.151.235.131) and tried an obviously rubbish web address at which point I get a TT web page saying they could not find the page - see attached image. When I tried their opt out page it says something about the router needing a reboot and when I tried it the message came back saying there was an error, no surprise really as I have remote management turned off.

I just tested their published DNS server 62.24.134.1 and it returns the normal server not found page for the same rubbish address. So it seems they default to their capture DNS servers on connection using FTTC.

Stuart
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 10:45:31 AM by broadstairs »
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: DNS redirection/capture on TalkTalk
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 10:52:36 AM »

It appears something may be broken with trying to switch off the "Error Replacement Service".   This was posted on their community forums a couple of weeks ago and they seem in no hurry to fix it.

The TalkTalk error replacement service helps customers find the right website when a web address isn't recognised.

The ability to opt-out of the service isn't working as it should. Our engineers are working hard to fix the opt-out function and hope to have the issue resolved by the end of January.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused during this time and we'll keep you updated as we get more information.

http://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Known-Service-Issues/Error-Replacement-Service/td-p/1535504

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 11:07:39 AM »

Interesting missed that one. As I said it does not affect me as I use my own DNS addresses. However since they reboot the router AND manual DNS server addresses to not survive a reboot or resync I do wonder if the two are connected  ;) unless they mess with DNS server addresses somehow under the covers in f/w another way. It is all to do with your router though not their network.

Stuart

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 11:50:42 AM »

I am with TTB and their default DNS picked up by the router just give the normal browser broken link  (one of which I do use in my manual settings i.e. 64.24.202.5).  Maybe Business users are spared this issue. 

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 01:34:50 PM »

I 'think' TT are redirecting DNS, but they are at least offering a way to opt out.   Unlike BT, they dont appear to be sniffing out and redirecting port 53 traffic.

With not being a customer I cant check, but everything Ive seen would seem to indicate that their DNS servers are simply using BareFruit services.  So the opt out is an easy fix to change to one of their DNS servers which isnt using Barefruit.  ISP's usually have a whole stack of DNS servers.  I think at one time I counted that BT had in excess of about 20 so Ive no idea how many TT have. 

Im only guessing but they could have things set up so that say 2/3rds of their DNS servers use Barefruit, whilst the remaining 1/3rd are 'clean'.

Then its likely that their opt out solution reconfigures your modem to set the DNS server to one of the 'clean' servers.   The problem with this though as you pointed out, is that the change does not survive a reboot.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 01:36:18 PM »

PS..   I'm going to move both threads, as they are ISP specific and not FTTC specific, as it relates to both fttc and adsl from the relevant ISPs :)
-----

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 02:05:46 PM »

I am aware of 4 DNS servers that TT use:-

78.151.235.131 and 78.151.235.4 which are passed to my router at connect time and at least the 1st one gives that screenshot I posted earlier.

62.24.134.1 and 62.24.243.2 which are publicised as their DNS servers and at least the 1st one does give the normal server not found message.

Stuart

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, 03:10:32 PM »

Thanks for the confirmation, so it looks like as suspected then that some actively use Barefruit, whilst there are some that dont?
-----

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2014, 04:06:46 PM »

Does this relate to the ability to use the  TT parental filter settings or the equivalent TTB worksafe settings?

I have used use the worksafe to block suspected virus web sites and I think I have had that engage something once or twice.  More often it is Google Chrome that suggests not proceeding. I guess we are all being watched over one way or another.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2014, 04:49:33 PM »

As a user of TT's broadband and telephone service for the last . . . ooh . . . seven and a half years, I had long ago ditched any hardware they had supplied. The modem/router that is my current device of choice is a Huawei HG622. (Supplied by our missing maestro, Asbokid, as a receipt for my donation to The Dogs Trust.) From the GUI I have specified the two (primary & backup) DNS servers to use. For good measure, I have also specified the two same DNS servers in the network interface configuration file for each and every device that is connected to my LAN.

When entering something completely silly into the web-browser's address bar I obtain the expected response --
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.