Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Sudden drop in FTTC performance; why?  (Read 1823 times)

bart613

Sudden drop in FTTC performance; why?
« on: December 14, 2014, 12:19:39 PM »

Hi folks,

I have had some problems with my FTTC recently -- http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=14696.0 -- but I thought I managed to track them down to faulty/dodgy power supply connected to Cisco ASA 5505 which was standing next to my modem and causing massive RFI (literally, I switched PS and number of FEC errors went down to ~ 0; after 3 days DLM disabled interleaving on my line and speed went up to ~ 44Mbps attainable and 39.9Mbps sync on 40/10 line).

It was all nice and dandy I was enjoying low latency and great speed  8); in short great performance on my broadband.

This morning I got notification that my line has resynced.  Checked everything and noticed massilvey elevated number of FEC errors >:(, errored seconds and degraded SNRM and SNR levels that *all* started around 1PM on Friday (12 Dec 14)  >:( >:( >:(

I wasn't even at home around that time and I'm pretty sure there isn't anything around in my flat that could turn itself on to cause RFI.

Have a look at these; number of FEC errors

Errored seconds; it went down to 0 after I switched the modem off this morning after I noticed the problems (I wanted to get a fresh graph on QLN.)

SNRM

I'm massively puzzled as to what possibly could happen.  I tried to feed these stats to A&A ISP support, but they don't really seem like they're to keen on them (what is a bit disappointing).

Does any of you kind kitizens have any suggestions / want to take guesses as to what potentially might have happened?  I'm still very fresh in the whole (V)DSL stats world :graduate: but given the QLN didn't change, HLog looks okay and it's just SNRM suddenly went down I literally have no idea what could cause this.

Any input much appreciated.  Thank you in advance!

Bart

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Sudden drop in FTTC performance; why?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 12:48:38 PM »

At this time of year the most obvious cause is christmas tree lights.  Doesnt have to be in your property, could be a neighbouring flat.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

bart613

Re: Sudden drop in FTTC performance; why?
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 12:58:11 PM »

That is a ... very good point.  It makes me speechless, but it's fair  :o :o :o

Especially, given my bedroom where master socket it (top class architecting here) is next to another bedroom with another master socket just behind the wall.

Damn it!  >:(

anything