Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Crosstalk has caught up with me  (Read 5169 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Crosstalk has caught up with me
« on: December 11, 2014, 07:09:15 PM »

My FTTC service was enabled on the 25th September. At that time my max attainable DS speed was 92917 kbps. Over those ten weeks or so the max attainable DS has steadily come down, and today it reached the point where the max attainable DS equals the actual DS speed (79987 kbps). :(

I guess I've joined the club.
  Eric

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: Crosstalk has caught up with me
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 07:53:03 PM »

Your DS SNRM has lost say 2dB over thoses 10 weeks and you are now sitting on the 6dB FTTC target margin.

You still have a good line it will be interesting to see what vectoring does to your line when it's been made active on your cabinet  :-\

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 08:40:31 PM »

*pokes BT with a pointy stick*

Hurry up and roll out vectoring.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 11:12:30 PM »

I look forward to it. :)
  Eric

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 12:31:36 AM »

I look forward to it. :)

As with all anticipation these days it may fall short on our expectation  :(

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 07:29:40 AM »

Aw, NS ......... Christmas is just around the corner my friend, let's try and be upbeat and not condemn something that has been years in the making.
I think we'll hopefully see roll-out sometime in Feb 2015, but this is just my own opinion from the limited info I've read.

Chin up mate.  ;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 07:44:08 AM »

Looks like I took another small hit this week too, bringing my headline loss to 30Mb. 

I gained some back by using the Zyxel rather than the HG612, but Im now at the stage where if I put any other modem/router on, I wouldnt get 80/20. 

Cheers BS any info is always appreciated :)

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 08:05:49 AM »

On the bright side of things   :)  your error rates look fine and are I think more important than exact speeds provided the speed is pretty good.  Higher errors would give the interleaving speed drop and latency increase.   Without of a speed test, I concluded that I simply could not tell the difference between 60 and 80Mb/s. I did think that I could tell when I was interleaved, though even then it hardly mattered. I am not sue what you would have to do to really notice?

phi2008

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 08:06:26 AM »

Aw, NS ......... Christmas is just around the corner my friend, let's try and be upbeat and not condemn something that has been years in the making.
I think we'll hopefully see roll-out sometime in Feb 2015, but this is just my own opinion from the limited info I've read.

Do you see a blanket rollout or just targeting popular cabinets?

Mark07

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 09:28:22 AM »

*joins in*  ;D

I was under the impression new hardware had to be installed in the cabs for vectoring? Or is it such a simple task BT could roll it out pretty quickly? IE tell the next engineer who has a job at that PCP to connect up this new bit of kit (I know it's not gonna be anywhere near that simple  :D )

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2014, 11:28:27 AM »

*joins in*  ;D

I was under the impression new hardware had to be installed in the cabs for vectoring? Or is it such a simple task BT could roll it out pretty quickly? IE tell the next engineer who has a job at that PCP to connect up this new bit of kit (I know it's not gonna be anywhere near that simple  :D )

I thought I heard somewhere that installing the necessary hardware typically takes around 30 minutes, but that could be for something else in the cabinet so I might be wrong there. If I'm correct, downtime should be minimal and there's a small possibility that the downtime might be further reduced by a method of putting the new hardware in, switching the ports over, then shutting down the old hardware and removing it (if that's even possible).

Mark07

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2014, 03:14:48 PM »

Yep, something hotswappable any engineer could do on their next visit to the cab would be brilliant  ;D

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2014, 03:34:52 PM »

I think I also got some new crosstalk, I thought was neighbour's central heating left on 24/7 but someone came today to turn it off (Was left on with noone there, made a racket all night), and attainable didnt go up :(