Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: SHINE a light!  (Read 9277 times)

JGO

• Reg Member
Re: SHINE a light!
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2014, 06:49:17 PM »

( WHY NOT FIT THE DAMN THING IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!! ).

Because it was designed by a Power Engineer, who don't really approve of this light current stuff !  (electronics to other people) Years ago one of them "proved", to his satisfaction, that there was not enough material for a separate qualification in "radio" - ignoring TV, Radar, other Nav aids or computers.

Recently there was some advice in the Telegraph by an "expert" on power saving - which ignored RFI completely. So it goes on ---

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2014, 07:32:19 PM »

I tend to the view that it is cost cutting.
As usual the end buyer only gives a monkeys these days about lowest price at all costs.
So if you put in the extra thingy in the price goes up and they loose sales.
You can just imagine trying to explain to your average punter that it costs a bit more as it has more FRI shielding.......

I come from a very low volume bespoke very high unit value business background where the idea of wasting time trying to save a few quid is absurd.
Compare that to car manufacturers selling in the millions where even saving a few pence per unit makes one the company hero for the week.

Then there is the cut throat way of doing business where you deliberately leave some semi-essential component out to get the price down knowing full well that the end user will have to come back at some stage for the add-on which you can now sell at an inflated price.

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2014, 08:13:23 PM »

I tend to the view that it is cost cutting.

OK tongue slightly in cheek http://forum.kitz.co.uk/Smileys/kitzemotes/smiley.gif  - but cost cutting managers are not going to fuss about "fancy stuff" they don't understand either way .

marjohn56

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2014, 08:35:24 AM »

Inflated, I should say so.

The suppressor kit for the boiler consists of the same suppressor I bought from Maplins but with two legs and spade connectors soldered on, all for an extra £8.

I am definately in the wrong trade these days!

I reckon in the days when I used a soldering iron I could have turned out this 'kit' in about 5 minutes, and that's allowing time for the iron to warm up, it's a job for apprentice muppets, 'go and make 30 of those' would have been the instruction I would have got!

Ah apprentices, now there's another topic, won't get started on that as I don't have enough time for another rant.. >:(
OPNsense 18.* - Billion Bridge - Qotom Q355G4 - ISP - ZEN U.K.

Team Rebellion Member

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2014, 04:08:50 PM »

Exactly!  :)

"And you try to tell the young people of today that and they won't believe you."

[youtube]Xe1a1wHxTyo[/youtube]
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2014, 06:00:49 PM »

There is nothing like the smell of solder wafting up into your nostrils in the morning  ;D

marjohn56

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2014, 11:02:40 AM »

Exactly!  :)

"And you try to tell the young people of today that and they won't believe you."

[youtube]Xe1a1wHxTyo[/youtube]

Is this the right room for an argument?
OPNsense 18.* - Billion Bridge - Qotom Q355G4 - ISP - ZEN U.K.

Team Rebellion Member

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2014, 04:20:21 PM »

Is this the right room for an argument?

[youtube]kQFKtI6gn9Y[/youtube]
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2014, 09:19:10 PM »

I remember when someone  :blush: first mentioned REIN as a possible factor in a post about a fault on this site.
I think some of the resposes were skeptical that such a thing was a factor.

Mind you, the one item I found to be the one most common cause of severe REIN. (Flat screen monitors) inveriably tend to have a ferrite ring on a cable (that mystery small cylinder thing attatched to a cable somewhere along its lenght)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2014, 10:08:44 PM »

I have found my oven/hob is causing many errored seconds when the switch is put into the on position, it has a fluorencent tube that lights up the front panel it would flicker for 20 minutes until it became steady or fully lit, this shows up in the stats as big FEC's and CRC's and then errored seconds.

Did replaced the tube it worked for while but the flickering came back and had to go deeper into the cookers electrics panel and replaced the fluorescent starter unit and the tube fires up straight away.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 10:12:06 PM by NewtronStar »
Pages: 1 [2]

anything