Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Old style NTE5 master Socket  (Read 9533 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Old style NTE5 master Socket
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2014, 04:08:38 PM »

Yup ....... get rid of 'em all mate, apart from the Blue/White pair of course.  ;)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2014, 04:30:12 PM »

As mentioned above, terminals 1 and 6 (green and white) have no purpose, so you might as well disconnect them and tuck the wires out of the way.
  Eric

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2014, 07:54:13 PM »

Terminals 1 & 6 were originaly designed as a means to additional power to anything plugged into any sockets.

The idea was a small plug into mains transformer. the DC cable has a PSTN plug at the end. with + & - voltage on 1 & 6
That way anything more than a basic phone could have additional power requirements fed by the existing telephone cabling.

As it turns out any equipment needing additional power are designed with its own mains plug or transformer. so the terminal 1 & 6 idea never took off. We still have that need to make sure our telephone sockets are within a couple of metres of a mains socket today for DECT, answer machines, alarm systems routers, faxes, telex machines etc etc.

Was a great idea, just that as the rest of the world didnt pick up on it, so many appliences were manufactured with the idea of a mains socket, or the designers just didn't know

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2014, 10:04:07 PM »

Why does the op have to Buy a NTE5 socket, I thought that belongs to BT ? if it's faulty they should replace it  :hmm:
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

wandermark

• Just arrived
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2015, 07:36:00 AM »

Hello all and belated festive greetings!

Job done!  Rob at Telecom Green kindly sorted me out an old but perfectly working NTe5 faceplate with six terminals.  I installed it but without the orange and green wires.  Also ripped out all the orange and green ones at my two extension sockets.  Everything is now working fine!

Many thanks for the info and advice from everyone.

Mark

Pages: 1 [2]

anything