Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Old style NTE5 master Socket  (Read 9532 times)

wandermark

• Just arrived
Old style NTE5 master Socket
« on: December 08, 2014, 05:37:00 PM »

Hello all!

Have a stupid problem which I'm hoping someone can help me with.

Want to buy an old style NTE5 master socket with the six terminal connections on the inside of the removable front plate.  Mine is faulty (the front plate only) and I've searched high and low trying to find where I can buy a replacement.  I don't have the expertise or time to change out the whole master socket; just want to replace the front plate.

A photograph of the reverse of the old style one I need can be found in the "Removing the Ring Wire" paragraph on the "Improve your adsl broadband connection speed" page of the ADSL tab section.

My phone is connected to the front of my front plate and my computer modem is connected to an extension in another room.

Would anyone know where I can buy one?

Many thanks,

Mark

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Old style NTE5 master Socket
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 06:13:09 PM »

I'd be surprised if you could buy one as a separate item. They must only be a couple of quid to buy as a complete unit ??
Either way, it doesn't matter if you purchase the old 6-way, or newer style 4-way front-plate, to get the most out of your circuit you would only re-connect the two wires back to T2 and T5.  :)

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 09:59:56 AM »

Why not go for the appropriate Mk of Filtered faceplate  for your xDSL and get rid of the pickup of Christmas decoration RFI too ?!

wandermark

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 06:34:49 AM »

Hello again,

Many thanks for the replies!

I'd be quite happy to buy a complete old style NTE5 socket.  The problem is I can't find one to buy!

All six connection terminals on the back of my current faultly front-plate have wires in them (possibly because of my extensions?).

My understanding is that I can't use a modern flitered (splitter) front-plate because I have my modem connected to an extension socket.

Cheers,

Mark

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 07:23:05 AM »

By way of a starting point .............

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NTE5-BT-TYPE-TELEPHONE-MASTER-SOCKET-CTE5-NTE-NTE5A-CTE-/260417535772

There are things that can be done regarding the extension socket ...... ie: possibly converting it into a data-only socket utilising the existing cable and a SSFP (What you refer to as a 'Splitter front-plate). There are other possibilities as well but haven't got time to go into them, I'm afraid. It all hinges on your capabilities ?  :)

As I said before, you only need to connect 2&5 up on the front-plate of the new NTE, that way the 'balance' of the circuit is maintained. You may find by just doing this, you are happy enough with the outcome ?  :) Gotta go. Bye. 

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 11:31:52 AM »

All six connection terminals on the back of my current faultly front-plate have wires in them (possibly because of my extensions?).
Probably because it's been wired incorrectly.  :o

Have you checked where those wires go? They will have absolutely no function in a domestic phone system.
Unless someone has for a very odd reason "looped" some wiring back down unused cores.  >:D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 03:56:59 PM »

They will have been connected like that due to old regs saying we had to, back in the day. No amount of possible 'looping back', or any other configuration ....... will play any part in the circuit. Terminals 1,4 and 6 are not used. Terminal 3 is for the bell-shunt which again is not necessary if using DSL filters, and will improve the circuit once removed at the front-plate.

Only 2 and 5 need be connected.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 04:08:28 PM »

They will have been connected like that due to old regs saying we had to, back in the day.
You live and learn, I never knew that.  8)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 05:19:11 PM »

It was mainly for neatness on the vast majority of extension sockets, but essential if working on the now obsolete 'Renown' small business systems.  :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 08:36:08 PM »

If possible, perhaps Mark could take a series of photographs of the current setup --
  • The connections to the IDCs on the reverse of the lower front face-plate of the NTE5/A.
  • The connections at each extension socket.
Without knowing the full details, it is impossible to provide concrete advice.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2014, 01:17:29 PM »

essential if working on the now obsolete 'Renown' small business systems.  :)
I was aware of some of those sort of issues, though not the specifics, which is why I said "no function in a domestic phone system".

wandermark

• Just arrived
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2014, 07:38:51 AM »

Let's see.  In lieu of a picture, the connections on the back of my old faulty front-plate are:

Terminal         Wire colour

1                 Green/white
    2                 Blue/white
    3                 Orange/white
    4                 White/orange
    5                 White/blue
    6                 White/green

Haven't yet opened up my first extension socket as it's deeply buried in the rat's nest in the alcove behind my computer table.

The modern front-plates (which I will have to buy one of if the old ones are in fact now completely unavailable) seem to have only 3 terminals.  I understand that I can ignore my Orange/white and White/orange wires and tuck them safely away.   I also understand that the Blue/white and White/blue wires are my main phone wires and should be reconnected to the same numbered terminals on any new front-plate. 

This then leaves the question of what to do with the Green/white and White/green wires.  In other words, it seems I will have four wires to connect to only three terminals.

Thanks again,

Mark

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2014, 08:23:14 AM »

Without knowing what the various wires connect to at the other ends we can't be certain, but it seems probable that only the blue/white pair on terminals 2 and 5 is needed, and the others can be tucked out of the way. You could try disconnecting the others from your present faceplate and see if it changes anything.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 08:28:30 AM by roseway »
  Eric

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2014, 09:18:30 AM »

Let's see.  In lieu of a picture, the connections on the back of my old faulty front-plate are:

Terminal         Wire colour

1                 Green/white
    2                 Blue/white
    3                 Orange/white
    4                 White/orange
    5                 White/blue
    6                 White/green

As Black Sheep noted above, only 2,3 and 5 would be used in a modern installation, those are the only three on such a faceplate.
3 is the bell wire so can also be disconnected.
1 and 6 are totally superfluous, so you may have misread something...........

wandermark

• Just arrived
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2014, 03:53:10 PM »

Hello yet again!

Just to say that I've finally opened up both of my extension sockets, and both are wired exactly the same as my old style faceplate, with all six wires connected to exactly the same terminals!

So, in my ignorance it seems that, unless mine is the only house in the known universe that has four wires coming into it, I can safely disconnect the Green/white and White/green , as well as of couse the Orange/white and White/orange.  (What a rat's nest of disconnected wires I'm going to have!)

Or should I for whatever reason try to find a modern faceplate with four terminals and leave the Green/white and White/green connected?

Cheers,

Mark
Pages: [1] 2

anything