Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Test socket to adsl modem cat5e wire for ideal adsl testing situation  (Read 8935 times)

setecio

• Reg Member

I've read it mentioned in other posts that the NTE5 adsl filtered face plate is the ideal solution for ruling out interference or degradation of the adsl signal from the internal wiring since it cuts out the internal wiring from the equation. The second best is the testing scenario of plugging a filter directly into the test socket and then the adsl modem into the filer using a short length of the RJ11 adsl cable. This however  introduces the slight possibility of the filter or the wire or the connections on the wire causing a problem which can be mostly ruled out by trying different ones.

It occurred to me that a small custom cable could replicate the high standard of the adsl filtered NTE5 faceplate without the need to actually fit one. This suggestion is purely for convenience and the ability to test to the same standard as an adsl filtered NTE5 faceplate.

The cable would be a BT plug to an RJ11 plug, the BT plug goes into the test socket and the RJ11 into the adsl modem. These can be bought, but I'm not sure the quality of the wire used, so for a top quality version I'd suggest a custom wired cat5e cable with BT plug on one end and RJ11 on the other. A BT & RJ11 crimper and plugs would be needed and only 2 wires need to be connected ..... use a twisted pair and link them correctly ( centre two on RJ11 to 2&5 on BT as described here http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wiring/UK_telephone/uk_telephone.html )

Anyway, I think this would give you a quick test option of the same high quality standard as an adsl filtered NTE5 faceplate.

Would the experts agree ?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 08:44:01 PM by setecio »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Test socket to adsl modem cat5e wire for ideal adsl testing situation
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 01:15:59 AM »

I'll confess Im not an expert when it comes to cabling..  with being on a short line its not something Ive personally ever had to do.
So hopefully one of the other guys can answer.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 07:45:05 AM »

The kind of cable you're describing is the kind used for years on dial-up modems, and these can indeed be used to connect a router. The only caveat is that the connections aren't standardised, and there are at least two different schemes in use, so you have to make sure that you get the right one if you're buying one. Making one with twisted-pair cable would be the best technical solution, although I don't think CAT5e would be the best choice because it's rather fat and inflexible for these small connectors. I would use BT-spec telephone cable I think.
  Eric

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 09:43:34 AM »

Some  routers such as Cisco ship with 2-pair cat5 leads and these are perfectly suitable when it comes to getting them where you want them. Some of the shielded leads like the Belkin "hi speed" ones are a nightmare though, they just keep curling up and getting tangled in with everything else.

I am presently using a custom made cable (because I am fussy like that!) which is a very short length of the blue pair removed from a Cat5 cable, inserted into a short length of thin telephone cable sheath with an RJ-11 plug crimped on either end.

I am not a fan of flat RJ-11 leads at all, yet almost every router comes with them. It is even worse when people then have a 10 metre extension cord to the socket as well.

In the case of the BT Home Hub the lead is 2.5 metres long! My view is that especially on long lines its a bit of a let down when your using a faceplate filter etc and then using a rather poor lead.

It seems because they are stranded/multi-core you can get a slight increase in attenuation figures and because they are not twisted they are more vulnerable to sources of interference.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 09:45:35 AM by soms »

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 10:34:39 AM »

If your not using the line with any other apperatus apart from broadband then yes you can plug directly into the socket without a filter.

SDSL lines tend to have a different face plate on the nte5 which takes an rj11 not the standard uk-pstn.

Usually cat 3 or 5 cable could be better at getting around some snr issues, but thats not 100%

When I test to a customes socket i use a cat3 cable, mainly because its more rugged than the normal cables you get with router/modems. Sometimes i get a better result with my cat3 than a standard cable although this is rare. Very occasionaly, it can work the other way around.

setecio

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 10:34:19 PM »

Thanks.

The kind of cable you're describing is the kind used for years on dial-up modems, and these can indeed be used to connect a router. The only caveat is that the connections aren't standardised, and there are at least two different schemes in use, so you have to make sure that you get the right one if you're buying one.

From this page
http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wiring/UK_telephone/uk_telephone.html
It would appear that 2 & 5 on the BT side need to go to the centre two on the RJ11 and that it doesn't matter which way around they go. I presume you are talking about avoiding the cables where 2 & 5 on the BT plug don't go to the centre two connectors on the RJ11.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 07:30:54 AM »

I presume you are talking about avoiding the cables where 2 & 5 on the BT plug don't go to the centre two connectors on the RJ11.

That's right.
  Eric