Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Surge protector  (Read 7989 times)

konrado5

• Reg Member
Surge protector
« on: December 05, 2014, 04:17:29 PM »

Could surge protector helpful? Could plugging modem to the mains by surge protector diminish some CRC errors when lightning is turned off, when doorbell rings etc. ?

Best regards
konrado5

boost

• Reg Member
Re: Surge protector
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 05:13:42 PM »

The same question was asked a few months back. As I recall, the conclusion was 'yes but not a cheap/crap one'.

I came to the conclusion (rightly or wrongly) I'd need to spend several hundred pounds on a tidy UPS so abandoned the idea.

I think it may be worth investigating though if you'd like to try it and report back...?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 06:10:37 PM »

You would really need to consider whether the interference is being conducted to the modem/router via the mains wiring (if yes, then quality filtering will assist) or is it an induced signal that is being picked up by the circuit wiring (the xDSL wiring) (if yes, then no surge protector/filter will assist)?

The ideal solution would be to identify the actual cause of the problem and then eliminate it, rather than attempting minimise the end result.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

konrado5

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 06:20:30 PM »

Quote from: burakkucat
You would really need to consider whether the interference is being conducted to the modem/router via the mains wiring (if yes, then quality filtering will assist) or is it an induced signal that is being picked up by the circuit wiring (the xDSL wiring) (if yes, then no surge protector/filter will assist)?
Re-routing incoming service pair from mains wiring has not changed CRC errors number when I turn off lightning etc.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 06:34:15 PM »

When the light switch is operated, from on to off, a small arc will (invariably) occur between the two contacts. That tiny arc will be acting like the very first spark transmitters (as from the beginnings of radio transmission). The question is whether the signal is travelling through free space or is being conducted via the mains wiring.

Before spending any money on any form of surge suppression or mains filtering device you should really test to see if the interference is being conducted through the mains wiring. The best way to do that would be to run the modem/router from an appropriate sized battery for some hours whilst the door-bell and lights are being used as normal.

konrado5

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 07:03:54 PM »

The best way to do that would be to run the modem/router from an appropriate sized battery for some hours whilst the door-bell and lights are being used as normal.
Do you mean car battery or rather something else? I also hear popping in my Logitech X-540 computer speakers (connected to the mains) when lights are turned off. I also hear popping in battery-powered portable AM radio.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 07:09:18 PM by konrado5 »

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 08:14:43 PM »

When the light switch is operated, from on to off, a small arc will (invariably) occur between the two contacts. That tiny arc will be acting like the very first spark transmitters (as from the beginnings of radio transmission).

Without disagreeing with your other points you can "suppress" the interference at source with a suitably rated capacitor and resistor in series across the switch, motor commutator, ( at least 350 v AC to cover peak of 250 v)  This is not the same as a line filter, it damps the spark down at source, much reducing the radio frequency spectral width which is beneficial for conducted or radiated interference. Kits used to be available, aimed at TV but the move to UHF seems to have reduced the need.

"Surge Protector" is a vague term, does it  clip incoming spikes on the 250 AC or is it a low pass filter filter. Depends who is selling ! 

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2014, 09:51:37 PM »

Do you mean car battery or rather something else?

A car battery or a power pack for, say, a cordless drill.

I also hear popping in my Logitech X-540 computer speakers (connected to the mains) when lights are turned off.

Unfortunately that does not really help. It could be radiated energy being picked up by the audio circuitry (even the leads to the loudspeakers) or it could be energy conducted via the mains wiring.

I also hear popping in battery-powered portable AM radio.

In that case, you have shown that there is significant radiated energy.

Perhaps the light switch is question has aged and its contacts do not abruptly open but have a small amount of bounce. Maybe a new light switch would solve the problem. Other than that, a series connected capacitor - resistor pair across the switch contacts -- as JGO suggests -- would quench the arc.

konrado5

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2014, 10:44:16 PM »

In that case, you have shown that there is significant radiated energy.
Is it not normal hearing click in AM radio when lightning is turned off?
Perhaps the light switch is question has aged and its contacts do not abruptly open but have a small amount of bounce. Maybe a new light switch would solve the problem. Other than that, a series connected capacitor - resistor pair across the switch contacts -- as JGO suggests -- would quench the arc.
But CRC errors appear not only when lightning is turned off. It also appears when doorbell rings, electric saw is used etc. Moreover, I don't klnow if neighboorhood mains noise induces into my home mains wiring.

Re-routing my phone wiring did not diminish CRC errors. Is it  proof of mains induced impulse noise? Moreover, changing flat RJ11-ended phone cable on twisted pair CW1308 RJ11-ended has not change anything.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 10:52:51 PM by konrado5 »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2014, 11:19:09 PM »

I also hear popping in my Logitech X-540 .

K5 I have the Logitech X-530 and here pops from speakers when light switches are turned on this could be a design fault in the circuitry or inadequate suppression componets on the board.

and not all pops turn into errored seconds or crc's

« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 11:40:27 PM by NewtronStar »

konrado5

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2014, 11:20:55 PM »

It implicates that also my two ADSL modems: TP-Link TD-W8950ND and D-Link DSL-2740B has a design fault in the circuitry or indequate suppresion componens on the board. I see CRC error at the same time when I hear pop from speakers and portable battery-powered AM radio.

konrado5

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2014, 11:41:09 PM »

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Speakers/Popping-and-Humming-sound-Shielding-issues-Logitech-Audio/m-p/21946?view=by_date_ascending
Quote from: kitz
and not all pops turn into errored seconds or crc's
Yes. I hear also some pops when I don't see CRC errros. Moreover, if I enable ADSL2 instead ADSL2+ I don't see CRC errors when lights are switched. CRC errors appears on higher frequiences.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 11:43:47 PM by konrado5 »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2014, 11:58:00 PM »

It implicates that also my two ADSL modems: TP-Link TD-W8950ND and D-Link DSL-2740B has a design fault in the circuitry or indequate suppresion componens on the board. I see CRC error at the same time when I hear pop from speakers and portable battery-powered AM radio.

K5 you are not alone, what could we do apart from re-wiring the whole house and change every switch all for the sake of shaving off a few CRC's /Errored Seconds here and there for broadband it will be come an OCD issue when you tell people to stop turning on switches because it effects my broadband if this is were your at & others out there then you need help.

If you listen to MR 50Hz you will end up in a psychiatric hospital, just let the ES and CRC's pass by don't get caught up in this silly modem stats stuff, there are better hobbys out there  ;)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 12:03:43 AM by NewtronStar »

konrado5

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2014, 12:10:35 AM »

I want to know what good BER at SNR margin 0.9 dB I have if I would have CRC errors only from phone wiring, not from mains wiring.
Pages: [1] 2