Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: DG834G - I think it's V4 - port forwarding issues?  (Read 4400 times)

Thunderchild

• Just arrived
DG834G - I think it's V4 - port forwarding issues?
« on: February 06, 2008, 10:57:37 PM »

Hi all,

Sorry I hate to be one of those people that joins a forum and asks a question abruptly without saying hi. :) I'm just heading off to bed atm but I'll properly introduce myself later if folks want :D

Anyway I think my router is the v4 (the firmware says Firmware Version    V4.01.28).

I'm just curious if anyone has ever had problems with port forwarding just stopping working randomly? I keep getting this and all I can do is hard reboot it a few times. Soft rebooting seems to have no effect, and even hard rb doesn't always work :(

Is it a known problem? And is the new firmware that's out soon going to help? If not, which router do you recommend after I smash this one to bits very soon :D

Thanks all

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: DG834G - I think it's V4 - port forwarding issues?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 02:52:08 AM »

Hi and welcome :)

>> Anyway I think my router is the v4 (the firmware says Firmware Version    V4.01.28).

Thats a v3....
The v4 router firmware starts v5x.x.x

>> I'm just curious if anyone has ever had problems with port forwarding just stopping working randomly?

Just checking that you've hardcoded an IP address into the PC which youre trying to forward to.. rather than getting an address via DHCP from the router?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 09:24:41 AM »

Morning all,

There is a problem with the routing tables and if i am right this should be fixed in the new version of the firmware. The current nat issues cause the routing tables to not work properly. The new DSL code appears to have fixed the NAT issues in the early testing stage we have performed here, i have advised Netgear and once the GPL is done they will be sending me test version before they release it.
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

Thunderchild

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 07:45:30 PM »

Hi and welcome :)

>> Anyway I think my router is the v4 (the firmware says Firmware Version    V4.01.28).

Thats a v3....
The v4 router firmware starts v5x.x.x

>> I'm just curious if anyone has ever had problems with port forwarding just stopping working randomly?

Just checking that you've hardcoded an IP address into the PC which youre trying to forward to.. rather than getting an address via DHCP from the router?

You're right I have done this as I end up with IP conflicts. I was thinking of undoing it last night but it seemed.. well..silly to blame that ;D Should I undo it and create a port forward range instead of single integer?

I have have the problem before I did this however not as often.

That's great news about the new firmware - I'll refrain from making several smaller routers of my big one for the time being then.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 09:52:33 PM »

By the way, it says underneath which version of the router it is - v2, v3 or v4.

I'll refrain from making several smaller routers of my big one for the time being then

:lol: nice one ... welcome to the forum :)
Chris

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 10:03:55 PM »

>> You're right I have done this as I end up with IP conflicts. ....

No its correct to assign a specific IP address and forward to that .

>> I'll refrain from making several smaller routers of my big one for the time being then

:lol: classic  :lol:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 11:29:48 AM »

Aye tis pure class....  :lol:
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.