Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DSLstats Will Not Run HG612 Modem.  (Read 7766 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
DSLstats Will Not Run HG612 Modem.
« on: November 28, 2014, 11:20:20 PM »

HG612 .

8 Nov 2014 23:11:01   Recording started
28 Nov 2014 23:11:03   Unable to login to modem/router
28 Nov 2014 23:11:33   Unable to login to modem/router
28 Nov 2014 23:12:03   Unable to login to modem/router
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After installing new Linux Kernel DSLstats will not record  :(.
Tried stopping it and starting it.
Tried closing it down and re-starting but just get the above in logs.
I have not changed any of it's settings.

The HG612 web page stats look ok.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 09:39:28 PM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: DSLstats Will Not Run.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 07:16:57 AM »

Can you log into the HG612 telnet interface manually? I'm wondering if the HG612 has been remotely updated to a version which blocks telnet.

When you say you installed a new Linux kernel, then assuming that your PC is still functioning normally I'm having trouble thinking of any reason why that would stop DSLstats working.
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 09:15:58 PM »

May be it's nothing to do with the new kernel, laptop running ok.
Last night could not telnet in. :o
Last night lost internet not long after I made the first post, had to do a re-boot modem and I do my firewall at the same time, internet restored.
I could use DSLstats a bit but it was not running smoothly, 'Unable to login to modem/router' keeps coming up.
To day it was working a bit and said 'wrong user name or password' then worked a bit then came up with 'Unable to login to modem/router'
I tried removing log-in details and re put them in, will not connect. >:D
I could telnet in today, put un & pw in then got to ATP>     , but I did not know what commands to use.  :(
I can not see any smoothwall firewall logs that says it's blocking it.
In the login I use my WAN ip but in the logs if I press get IP address it always tells me the internet facing one on my smoothwall box.

Edit ,,,,, just looked through the stored data and not every day was a log file saved (not sure why ) but the ones that where there
'26 Nov 2014 23:28:27   Unable to determine IP address' came up and 'Unable to login to modem/router' came up a lot.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 09:41:05 PM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 11:00:19 PM »

I don't want to duck out of helping with this problem, but I really can't think of any way that DSLstats would be responsible for such erratic behaviour. I'm completely out of touch with HG612 firmware versions, but you can read your version from the Stats page of DSLstats when it's working. We could then check with other people to see who's using the same version and whether they have any telnet issues with it.

Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 12:13:18 AM »

Regarding the kernel update, I upgraded to one and I was getting odd 100% CPU use so in the end I rolled back to another and that seems stable.

I got a feeling the DSLstats problem is something to do with my firewall setup.
Set up is -----------------
Internet>HG612 Modem LAN1 (LAN2 not used)>smoothwall firewall>switch> LAN network and 4 WiFi access points.

Shall I try removing the DSLstats main files I un-packaged ? and re doing them ? to see if something has got corrupted ?.

From the webpage for the modem .....

Product type   EchoLife HG612 
Device ID   84A8E4-21530315048K16059817
Hardware version   VER.B
Software version   V100R001C01B030SP08
Firmware version   A2pv6C038m.d24j
Batch number   BC1P6.030.A2pv6C038m.d24j

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 01:54:27 AM »

I have my hg612 set up in bridge mode with LAN1 connected to my smoothwall, and LAN2 connected directly to the switch behind the smoothwall. I've never had a problem with dslstats.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 07:42:45 AM »

Shall I try removing the DSLstats main files I un-packaged ? and re doing them ? to see if something has got corrupted ?.

It wouldn't do any harm, but I'm doubtful that corrupted files would cause intermittent behaviour.

I got a feeling the DSLstats problem is something to do with my firewall setup.
Set up is -----------------
Internet>HG612 Modem LAN1 (LAN2 not used)>smoothwall firewall>switch> LAN network and 4 WiFi access points.

Is the HG612 configured as an ethernet modem or a bridge? What loonylion described is the normal way it's used, with LAN1 bound to the WAN and LAN2 bound to the LAN.
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, 08:34:45 PM »

It wouldn't do any harm, but I'm doubtful that corrupted files would cause intermittent behaviour.

Is the HG612 configured as an ethernet modem or a bridge? What loonylion described is the normal way it's used, with LAN1 bound to the WAN and LAN2 bound to the LAN.
Modem.

Tomorrow I will try connecting my laptop (after enabling the Linux firewall  ;) ) straight to the modem and check if DSLstats work without any other tweeks.

I have my hg612 set up in bridge mode with LAN1 connected to my smoothwall, and LAN2 connected directly to the switch behind the smoothwall. I've never had a problem with dslstats.
Yes, I must find time to configure that way.

Edit ....Just had to re-boot modem as we lost the internet again, Does DSLstats use any of the modems memory ?.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 08:38:15 PM by tickmike »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2014, 09:03:39 PM »

Does DSLstats use any of the modems memory ?.

Not directly. It simply logs in, issues a number of commands to collect data, and logs out.
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 11:29:57 AM »

I plugged the modem straight into my laptop today and I could use the internet ok.
I tried to 'Telnet' into the modem and I got this odd message.
"Welcome Visiting Huawei  Home Gateway
Copyright by Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.
Login:admin
Password:*****
Had login error three times. Please wait one minute.

Login:
"

I tried several times but thats all I got, so that probably why DSLstats will not log in. :'(
Next I put my network back and I could use the internet ok so I tried to Telnet in again and after trying several times it just kept saying 'Timed out'
Well trying to send this post found I had no internet again and I am going to link this trying to Telnet to the modem makes it fail  :o, I seem to remember reading some other post on the internet about locking the HG612 up with Telnet.
I think I will flash the modem again.

tickmike

• Kitizen
Re: DSLstats Will Not Run HG612 Modem.
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 09:51:49 PM »

After re-flashing the modem it's just the same, but trying my laptop plugged straight into the modem DSLstats are a bit better with the odd 'Unable to login to modem/router' showing up.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 02:41:27 PM »

@ Eric C
Today I plugged my laptop in to LAN 2 again (after turning modem off all night it's not connecting through to the internet on LAN 2) I tried to Telnet into the modem using 'Konsole'>telnet> open x.y.z.105,(Do you normally have to use 'open' in the telnet comand ?)   It then takes 12 to 15 seconds to answer   :o >login =admin> password=admin (they take 2 to 4 seconds to react) then i'm in.

There seems to be a very long lag  :'( Is this because of my static IP's ? (not forgetting my modem LAN address is one of these static ones.)

While it was plugged into LAN 2 I tried DSLstats again, I got a bit off recording with lots of error logs.
eg .

No DSL connection
Timeout while retrieving stats
Implausible down traffic value reported by modem/router
Unable to determine IP address
No stats received
Unable to login to modem/router

Any idea's please.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, 04:44:40 PM »

If you just type 'telnet' in Konsole then you get the telnet prompt from your system's telnet program, and you have to type 'open a.b.c.d' to get the modem login prompt. But normally you would type 'telnet a.b.c.d' to go straight to the modem login prompt. DSLstats does the same (effectively) using its own telnet library.

The long delay is nothing to do with static LAN IP addresses, and isn't normal for the HG612. It would certainly explain the problems with DSLstats. I'm afraid I really don't know what's causing the delay. Am I right in thinking that you have a block of WAN IP addresses from your ISP? If so, then I'm guessing that it may come down to the way the WAN IP addresses are used, but this is an area I know nothing about.
  Eric

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2014, 04:51:40 PM »

I think you're using a WAN IP to access your modem on LAN2. It should be a LAN IP

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2014, 10:58:49 PM »

If you just type 'telnet' in Konsole then you get the telnet prompt from your system's telnet program, and you have to type 'open a.b.c.d' to get the modem login prompt. But normally you would type 'telnet a.b.c.d' to go straight to the modem login prompt. DSLstats does the same (effectively) using its own telnet library.

The long delay is nothing to do with static LAN IP addresses, and isn't normal for the HG612. It would certainly explain the problems with DSLstats. I'm afraid I really don't know what's causing the delay. Am I right in thinking that you have a block of WAN IP addresses from your ISP? If so, then I'm guessing that it may come down to the way the WAN IP addresses are used, but this is an area I know nothing about.

Thanks Eric I will give it some more thought and if I could get another HG612 I could do some tests with it.
DSLstats worked well with my Netgear DG834GT and that was with my Staic WAN IP's and Smoothwall.
Pages: [1] 2

anything