Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Line Stats - QLN  (Read 14043 times)

ardsar

• Reg Member
Line Stats - QLN
« on: November 27, 2014, 09:17:49 PM »

Just setup the Billion 8800AXL in place of the Asus DSL AC68. As discussed in the Asus thread, using that router has banded me and I have a s/n of 10dB resulting in download sync of 22399kbps.

Setting up the billion was a breeze  and it has remained stable. I've started having a play with DSL stats and am curious at the QLN graph. I'm assuming this is normal for a long run to the cabinet? Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
Re: Line Stats - QLN
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 09:29:32 PM »

I have the 8800nl, set up like you said is a breeze, the GUI is fast and responsive and the connection stable compared to the ASUS.

I was kind of fortunate in that I had a line fault develop around the same time I was using the ASUS, fortunately I was able to get my line reset. I did however get knocked down to 40mbps DS whilst trialling the ASUS but so far back to 47mbps which I can live with until they sort out this DLM issue.
Fritzbox 7490 l Plusnet FTTC

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 11:03:53 PM »

I'm assuming this is normal for a long run to the cabinet?

The downwards slant of bit loading up to about tone 120ish looks about normal.  What happens at about tone 220 isnt :(
Then when we look at your corresponding tones on the QLN, we see signs of what appears to be quite bad crosstalk. Anything that centers around tone 250 is (usually) coming from an adsl1/2+ line.

It looks like you also have a disturber affecting tones 1400ish and 1700ish. You dont include your SNR per tone, but Im guessing they will follow a similar pattern to the bitloading.

If your hlog looks decent, then it will most likely be crosstalk at the tones Ive mentioned.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

ardsar

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 07:49:35 AM »

Thanks Kitz for your reply.

I've attached the hlog and bitswap to this post. Clearly the point at which this interference is occurring is also where the majority of bit swapping is happening.

I've read all the threads about the BT court case and DLM. My line has been fixed at a download of 22399 at 10dB now since Friday. Since Friday I have only turned the router off twice - once on Tuesday evening after powering down for over 1 hour to install the Billion and yesterday evening for over 0.5 hours. With the low error rates that I am seeing, is suggesting that DLM is infact disabled? (I have attached the connection stats).

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 09:48:51 AM »

Your hlog is a lovely smooth line :)
Clearly the point at which this interference is occurring is also where the majority of bit swapping is happening.

You could also have an amount of EMI/RFI, whats your SNRm like, if youre getting lots of bitswap then it may reflect in the SNR Margin graph.
Crosstalk doesnt usually cause any variation in SNRm until the disturber switches their router off..  and at this point you notice small blips of increased SNRm.
If the SNRm wavers more often, then its usually EMI.  However, some lines do see SNRm variations throughout the course of the day that are just normal for the line.  Thats not something I can describe because all lines are different and its something that comes with watching the stats over a period of time.   

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 05:39:48 PM »

It looks like you also have a disturber affecting tones 1400ish and 1700ish. You dont include your SNR per tone,

I know those two RFI disturbers well kitz think it's Radio Romania International 1400ish and Radio China International 1700ish and a few other AM Radion stations in there two  >:(

you can see the same two disturbers in my QLN

ardsar

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 07:23:57 PM »

Been trying to work out what was at those frequencies.  Snr varies by around 1db (reduction in evenings).  Graphs can been seen on mydslwebstats - user ardsar

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 09:31:19 PM »

What now interests me is do you both -- N*Star & ardsar -- have a similar topography to account for the "reception" of the same radio transmissions?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2014, 10:07:20 PM »

What now interests me is do you both -- N*Star & ardsar -- have a similar topography to account for the "reception" of the same radio transmissions?

yes B*CAT i couldnt believe it when looking at ardsar QLN and my first thought was could this be a close neighbour.

Burrakkucat knows my location i think it would be interesting for all partys to get an idea if this is a common issue due to topography, it would help me very much indeed  :)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 10:11:10 PM by NewtronStar »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2014, 10:35:41 PM »

Been trying to work out what was at those frequencies.  Snr varies by around 1db (reduction in evenings).  Graphs can been seen on mydslwebstats - user ardsar

yes my DS SNRm varies by 1.2dB from 4pm to 1am the lowest point of DS SNRm is at 8:45pm at the moment I am sync capping my line as an experiment, but normally the SNRm without the cap the SNRm swings from 6.9dB to 5.3dB afternoon to evening  :( 

ardsar

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2014, 11:27:00 PM »

Looking at the graphs on mydslststs something has just happened to make s/n drop, crc errors and es go through the roof. All week the stats had been stable with es around 40 and s/n always above 9db. Any ideas?

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2014, 01:01:55 AM »

Looking at the graphs on mydslststs something has just happened to make s/n drop, crc errors and es go through the roof. All week the stats had been stable with es around 40 and s/n always above 9db. Any ideas?

where you testing any devices at home like ethernet powerline adapters or any new equipment as the event only lasted for 35 minutes.

ardsar

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2014, 07:30:26 AM »

No I wasn't at home lol

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2014, 11:05:28 AM »

yes B*CAT i couldnt believe it when looking at ardsar QLN and my first thought was could this be a close neighbour.

I also believe there could be something in that.

ardsar & NS.  Which part of the UK do you live -  Obviously I dont mean publically disclose your address, but just the locality or even name of nearest largest town.  ie if it was for me, I could say NWLancs, or Fylde Coast.

Radio Romania International 1400ish and Radio China International 1700ish

Im not sure about those, the spread seems a little bit large to be one station.  I dont know much about radio frequencies - but I'd guess it would be something more like maritime which covers a range of tones.

Theres also HAM frequencies which are known to cause problems at 2053kHz-2156kHz for adsl2+.  Ive not looked into the higher vdsl tones, and you'd need to zoom in on your own graphs to check for certain on the tone numbers - This is something I cant do - but very roughly.

1) ~ The first spike centers around tone 1400 =  6037.5 kHz - So youre looking for something around 6000 kHz

2) ~ The second spike centers around tone 1700 = 7331.25 kHz - So your looking for something around 7300 kHz

Now Ive not googled hard, but the first thing I notice is  6000 - 6500 kHz is used by Military and also some older HAM radio sets.
There are also some HAM sets which use 7500-14499 kHz ie the Kenwood TS, no doubt there will be more but I'll leave you to look into that when you know exactly which tones your centering on.    But atm its looking like HAM radio could be a possibility.
-----

ardsar

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2014, 06:55:48 PM »

Well we are in different parts of the uk. I'm located in South Devon and approx 90m above sea level. I will have a look around for ham antennas. There is a taxi that parks just up the road but I doubt it's that. May see if I can borrow an RF sniffer from work.

I'm using a billion router connected to a apc inline ups. The only other equipment in close proximity communicates on 868mhz. Just trying to think what device could have a 6mhz is inside lol.
Pages: [1] 2

anything