Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Are BT throttling connections?  (Read 36833 times)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: Are BT throttling connections?
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2014, 05:46:56 PM »

The HH3/router Broadband led indicator did turn orange just after 12pm to-day which is quite rare and no access to broadband the HG612 was not effected it was still gathering stats on the RPI.

All I did was to turn off/on the HH3/router and broadband became available again.

bbnovice

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2014, 07:18:01 PM »

Looks like BT/Openreach have a big problem and they have been very reluctant to admit to it:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/12/12/bt_infinity_working_to_fix_the_problem_after_three_days_of_outages/

I'm cross as I've spent nearly 2 days trying to sort out my FTTC connection which has been behaving very oddly - I started investigations at my end because BT Customer Services lied to me and said there were no known FTTC network issues. There patently were. 

Trawling the net I see some FTTC users suspect that these issues go back to November which BT have also been trying to deny.

Its irritating when they have problems, but these things happen and one has just to accept it. But to initially try and deny to their customers the existence of issues is inexcusable. But they will get away with it as usual.

Can you tell I'm angry?????   

Bodge99

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2014, 07:20:09 PM »

Which shower are you with, bodge ??

Zen.

Just superb...

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2014, 07:30:11 PM »

Which shower are you with, bodge ??

Zen.

Just superb...

Agreed. I've had no issues so far with Zen on their part of the service/network (FTTC) since signing up to them.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2014, 07:58:57 PM »

Any ISP is 'Fantastic' if you have an in-life fault-free existence. I've met lots of EU's that say Talk-Talk are brilliant ?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2014, 08:06:31 PM »

PS .............. here are Zen's rules .......... so stop being a 'Hater'.  ;) ;D

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2014, 08:40:55 PM »

now i have some evidence to claim that something is auto throttling my upstream this has been going on for on for over 13 months, if you look at the TBB speed test it's clear that the US is being restricted.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2014, 10:39:05 PM »

This one is bad though.  I'd be an extremely unhappy user if I were with BT. 
Theres no need for this and its almost creeping back to something similar to Phorm which I was strongly against.
In fact Im not even sure if they are supposed to do this without offering consumers an opt out.

---
ETA
Post made to Facebook, because I do feel strongly about this, and its not something that they should be doing without at least giving customers an opt out
https://www.facebook.com/Kitz.co.uk/
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 10:51:34 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2014, 11:18:58 PM »

Its really slow on VPN tonight no matter which termination server I use. Something is seriously wrong on BT Internets network tonight. 

The reason I say BT Internet, I work within the NHS and its BT Openreach provided N3 VPN connections to Hospitals and GP Surgeries etc appear un-affected by this that I can tell tonight.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 11:47:38 PM by simoncraddock »
Fritzbox 7490 l Plusnet FTTC

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2014, 12:00:57 AM »

Many of the large corporations and businesses are unlikely to be using DSL, instead using leased lines.   
Even SMEs and offices etc will use a BT Business plan.   Therefore they will be on different VPs/SVLANs.  I should imagine that they wouldnt dare attempt to do something like this with business users.

What BT is doing is generating additional income from their residential users.   This is whom and what they are using.

http://www.barefruit.com/technology/monetisation.php

Barefruit generates highly targeted traffic for ISPs by replacing DNS and HTTP errors with relevant advertising. Operating at network level, Barefruit technology enables ISPs to resolve error traffic across the customer base with no capital outlay.

The patented relevance engine and usability-tested landing page implemented by the Barefruit solution is helpful, relevant and most importantly, provides a 'go-forward' surfing experience.

Strong user confidence in our website suggestions, resulting in high levels of page interaction, is reflected in the market-leading monetisation we achieve.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2014, 12:13:26 AM »

What BT is doing is generating additional income from their residential users.   This is whom and what they are using.

http://www.barefruit.com/technology/monetisation.php

Barefruit generates highly targeted traffic for ISPs by replacing DNS and HTTP errors with relevant advertising. Operating at network level, Barefruit technology enables ISPs to resolve error traffic across the customer base with no capital outlay.

The patented relevance engine and usability-tested landing page implemented by the Barefruit solution is helpful, relevant and most importantly, provides a 'go-forward' surfing experience.

Strong user confidence in our website suggestions, resulting in high levels of page interaction, is reflected in the market-leading monetisation we achieve.

>:(

As is quite well known, I do not use a Beattie service, so there is nothing I can do in the way of making a complaint.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2014, 12:29:17 AM »

I am not savvy into the BB network after it leaves my household yes I can get my head around the DLM but this area network or backbone stuff is to complicated for me.

Lets see if I am understanding some stuff here  ??? the business customers on FTTC is effecting the residential customer ?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2014, 12:38:31 AM »

As is quite well known, I do not use a Beattie service, so there is nothing I can do in the way of making a complaint.

A bit more digging and Talktalk also use barefruit, they call it "DNS enhancing service".   Talktalk provide an opt out though - link
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2014, 12:50:05 AM »

I am not savvy into the BB network after it leaves my household yes I can get my head around the DLM but this area network or backbone stuff is to complicated for me.

Lets see if I am understanding some stuff here  ??? the business customers on FTTC is effecting the residential customer ?

No..   BT are meddling with parts of the interwebs which IMHO they shouldnt be.   DNS (Domain Name System)  is what converts the webpage url you type in your browser into the correct machine readable address so that you end up where you want to go.  Think of it like a huge telephone directory for the internet.

They appear to be only doing so with the residential users and not the business accounts.   They are using a third party which can interfere with the results that get returned, and which seems to be slowing down their viewing of webpages etc.
What is wrong is that they are doing this in such a way that even if the EU wants to use another DNS service (such as google or openDNS) they cant :( 

-----

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2014, 01:12:22 AM »

They are using a third party which can interfere with the results that get returned, and which seems to be slowing down their viewing of webpages etc.

So that would be why my upstream is oscillating during a test because the third party is interfereing with the results  :o
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

anything