Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Hoping for FTTC but confused about cabinets  (Read 13173 times)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Hoping for FTTC but confused about cabinets
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2013, 11:12:58 PM »

Sorry for confusing you, that information is what I've worked out by using the same checker as you, which should be giving you an estimated speed, as it does for others on the cabinet.

I believe the cabinet opposite St Edmunds Close is a SCP (Secondary Connection Point) supplied from the main PCP (Primary Connection Point) with the FTTC cabinet, which is outside 94 The Street, as that address gives an estimate of 80/20.

It wouldn't matter if you were connected to either cabinet in this case, you will still be able to get FTTC, obviously though the longer your line the lower your speed will be.

What is your speed estimate?
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

wytco0

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2013, 06:58:47 AM »

Sorry for confusing you, that information is what I've worked out by using the same checker as you, which should be giving you an estimated speed, as it does for others on the cabinet.

I believe the cabinet opposite St Edmunds Close is a SCP (Secondary Connection Point) supplied from the main PCP (Primary Connection Point) with the FTTC cabinet, which is outside 94 The Street, as that address gives an estimate of 80/20.

It wouldn't matter if you were connected to either cabinet in this case, you will still be able to get FTTC, obviously though the longer your line the lower your speed will be.

What is your speed estimate?

Ah OK I understand now, I get an estimate of 41.3/6.5.which s very dissapointing.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2013, 10:18:48 AM »

I can appreciate it would be disappointing, but bare in mind that the estimates seem to be really low now.

My original estimate was for 57/20, highest I ever got was about 50 and I was the first on the the carpet.  I'm currently getting 47/9 and my current estimate is 33/6.

I highly suspect you will get higher, but  if you get the estimated then it's still a very good speed for now.  ,Even when I  had just below 40 the speed was very good,
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 10:20:51 AM by Ronski »
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2013, 01:13:00 PM »

Out of nosy interest, what speed do you get from your ADSL connection; are you disappointed because of the estimated speed uplift, or justbecause you would not get near 80?

wytco0

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2013, 04:35:22 PM »

Out of nosy interest, what speed do you get from your ADSL connection; are you disappointed because of the estimated speed uplift, or justbecause you would not get near 80?

I currently get about 3/0.3 and agree vsdl qotes are a big improvement on that.

But we also have another place in Hastings and there I get 60/23 against a quoted 80/20 for infinity 2. There the cabinet is about 50m from the flat.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2013, 04:39:23 PM »

I currently get about 3/0.3 and agree vsdl qotes are a big improvement on that.

But we also have another place in Hastings and there I get 60/23 against a quoted 80/20 for infinity 2. There the cabinet is about 50m from the flat.

wow

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2013, 07:34:48 PM »

So Hastings is more  Cossee-ted than Costessey as far as fibre is concerned. :D

wytco0

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2014, 09:51:47 PM »

I have been watching and checking the wholesale checker and it been showing an Availability Date of 31/3/2014 for fibre for some time,  but this evening I checked again and now its showing 31/12/2014.

I can't help but think that BT and BT Openreach are incompetent in the way that they handle these upgrades, BT hides behind BT Openreach and BT Openreach refuses to comment. They must have know that they were not going to make 31/3/ yet they were still showing it early this week.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 10:40:36 PM by wytco0 »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2014, 10:21:21 PM »

Sad and obviously annoying.  :(

That said, just one minor correction -- it is Openreach and not Openview.  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

wytco0

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2014, 10:41:19 PM »

Sad and obviously annoying.  :(

That said, just one minor correction -- it is Openreach and not Openview.  ;)

Oops now corrected... Thanks

wytco0

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2014, 04:25:53 PM »

I have been watching and checking the wholesale checker and it been showing an Availability Date of 31/3/2014 for fibre for some time,  but this evening I checked again and now its showing 31/12/2014.

I can't help but think that BT and BT Openreach are incompetent in the way that they handle these upgrades, BT hides behind BT Openreach and BT Openreach refuses to comment. They must have know that they were not going to make 31/3/ yet they were still showing it early this week.

Well I have been watching the checker for my phone line since BTO changed the availability from 31/3/2014 just before 31/3/2104. A couple of weeks ago I worte to them to ask if they would meet the 31/12/2014 date and they just ignored my email.

The date is still showing as 31/12/2014 but I have no confidence at all that they will meet it, I fully expect them to slip the data by many months a few days before 31/12.

The most annoying thing is that BTO think this is OK behaviour, they must know now if they are going to meet this date and they also know that by showing dates in the near future none of their competitors will consider an alternative service which is exactly what WiSPire have done.

I hope I am wrong and that BTO have everything ready for the end of December ...
Pages: 1 [2]