Broadband Related > ADSL Issues

Max ADSL re-establishing MSR etc. after many problems

(1/6) > >>

Simon:
Hi,

I've had a number of problems over the last 2 weeks with multiple disconenctions and slow line speed - have 'up to 8meg' from BT but was getting 100-200kbps download speeds for several days at a time (even though connection was 5000+) I've had multiple calls with BT helpdesk in India, and 2 engineer visits, both of which concluded that the line is OK. Anyway upshot of it all is that I'm not sure the best way to proceed. My config was 2wire 1250 at end of extension lead (had this for many years), now have Voyager 2110 into master socket (via doubler that is other end of aforementioned extension.) Overnight BT turned of Interleaving as you can see from below.
Below are the stats I'm getting at the moment:

Line Mode   G.DMT       Line State   Show Time   

Latency Type          Fast       Line Up Time   00:00:04:23   

Line Coding   Trellis On       Line Up Count   1   

Statistics                   Downstream   Upstream   

Line Rate                 8128Kbps                448Kbps

Noise Margin           11.1 dB                  21.0 dB   

Line Attenuation      15.5 dB                  31.5 dB   

Output Power          19.8 dBm                  11.8 dBm

15:06 6/2 –Speedtest.net test shows  490k down, 380k up. When I checked my IP Profile an hour or so ago it was 500Kbps.

My question really is: what should I do - leave it for 3+ days and see if the profile increases? Should I expect further disconnections, if so are a small number normal? Do the above figures look OK - I guess the 8128 is pretty good!!!

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
BTW I'm around 2.5k from the exchange.

Many thanks
Simon

roseway:
Hi Simon and welcome.

It looks as though they have reset your connection so it can train again. On the face of it your stats are excellent and you can expect to get the highest possible IP profile (7150 kbps) if it now proves stable. It might take a few days for the IP profile to rise, although in theory such a large change ought to happen within a few hours. I guess you do have to wait a bit.

It's fairly common in fact for BT to fix a problem but tell you there is nothing wrong, so hopefully that's what's happened in your case.

Simon:
Hi,

Thanks for the response. Since my post the Voyager has disconnected/reconnected 12 times - surely this cannot be normal. As I said it is attached to the master socket and is sat underneath a sideboard cabinet - wireless signal to pc's is fine. I guess my problem is that I get very frustrated with it - i've now reconnected my old 2Wire 1250 back at the end of the extension lead and am only getting a syc of 2114.

Should I go back to having the Voyager in the master socket and put up with the disconnects until it settles down? I had it in there all night last night and it also disconnected a couple of times - i'm getting a bit paranoid about the whole affair and just need someone who knows what's what to give me some adivice and a plan of what i shoul do over the next few days. Should I persevere despite disconnects and then provide BT with all the stats I can if it doesn't settle down? Surely these multiple disconnects are not going to help the sync/ip profile settle down.

Sorry for all the questions but i'd really like some reasoned guidance - rather than that given by BT.

Thanks
Simon

roseway:
Such frequent disconnections are not normal, so it looks as though you are suffering from some large amount of interference. Unfortunately there are numerous possible reasons for this. See this page for some tips on diagnosing the problem. In addition, is there any audible hiss or crackling on the telephone? If so, this might indicate a line fault.

Simon:
Thanks Eric,

I have the router back under the sideboard connected to the master socket via the doubler at one end of my extension cable. The extension cable runs about 10 ft and then there is a wired junction box - 1 lead from this goes to a socket, into which are connected 2 sky boxes (using another doubler), the other runs for another 12 feet to a socket plug into which goes another filter and a cordless phone base. I have had exactly this set-up for many years and all has been OK. Of course this does not mean that things can't change. From a logistics viewpoint it is difficult to take everything else away and leave the router in the master socket alone for any extended period of time.

Would I be better to persevere for a few days and see how things go, or is the fact I'm getting high disconnects mean I'm flogging a dead horse? how many disconnects is acceptable, say over 24hrs?

some questions - 1. is the floor a good/bad place for a router, 2. Are the Voyager 2110's more succeptible to interference - are there routers that handle this much better? 3. what kind of interference should i be looking for and how far away should things line phones, speaker etc..be?

Thanks
Simon

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version