Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Replaced microfilter with MK3 faceplate: teething problems?  (Read 5868 times)

Jimadine

• Just arrived
Replaced microfilter with MK3 faceplate: teething problems?
« on: November 22, 2014, 01:29:21 PM »

A week ago I replaced an old Speedtouch dangling microfilter with a new BT MK3 faceplate, primarily for aesthetics but also with a slight hope the newer technology might give a boost in speed. Initially, on both accounts I was happy. I have a standard ADSL2+ package with EE, and prior to fitting the faceplate had been syncing at just under 5Mbps, with a stable connection. After fitting the faceplate I noticed that my sync speed had increased to about 6Mbps. However the day after I fitted it I found that FaceBook messenger voice calls from my Android phone were choppy, with "robotic" speech from the other person, but apparently I sounded fine. And I was stood about two metres from the router. No other devices were on the network at the time. I also subsequently found that my Internet radio kept cutting out. There had been heavy rain but I don't recall this causing any problems previously. I removed the faceplate and put back the old microfilter and everything was fine, albeit back to "normal" speeds. After a few days I decided to try the faceplate again. I installed it first thing in the morning and again it synced at 6Mbps. When I arrived home from work I checked my email on my phone, checked the DSL line stats on the router and then attempted to check the VOIP with a sipgate echo test — and at that point the router proceeded to restart itself! Just before it restarted I had noticed the SN margin had dropped to 6.0 / 1. After the restart the router then synced at just over 5Mbps and has stayed that way since, having been stable. The SN margin seems a bit up and down, but hasn't dropped to dangerous levels again since the restart.

Current stats:

Code: [Select]
Uptime: 1 day, 19:02:07
Modulation: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,126 / 5,122
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 63.34 / 1.28
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 19.0 / 34.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.0 / 3.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 6,422 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 149,179,896
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 204,934
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 173,383
Line Profile: Fast

Has anyone else experienced anything similar? I'm hoping it'll remain stable and that the problems experienced were just teething problems. Otherwise it's back to the dangling microfilter.

Thanks!

JGO

• Reg Member
Re: Replaced microfilter with MK3 faceplate: teething problems?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 02:09:47 PM »

Not met anything like your experience but you say " an old Speedtouch dangling microfilter " and "the network". I wonder,  did you have several extensions with only one ufilter ?

Could you perhaps post a sketch of the system wiring before and after ? could help.

Jimadine

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 04:26:58 PM »

Sorry, should have mentioned. The router is connected to the master socket on the ground floor. All of the first floor extensions sockets are unused/dead. What I mean by the network is the wlan.  :)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 05:31:01 PM »

If all the upstairs house wiring is dead/not used then make sure it is disconnected at the master socket. No point in having unsed wires connected which could pick up interference.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 05:59:11 PM »

If all the upstairs house wiring is dead/not used then make sure it is disconnected at the master socket. No point in having unused wires connected which could pick up interference.

OR modify the frequency response.

A filtered faceplate look after both if connected correctly, so they can still be used as 'phone only extensions.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 04:28:51 AM by JGO »

Jimadine

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 06:06:55 PM »

Have gone back to the old microfilter again as Internet radio was dropping out earlier this afternoon. Again I saw a corresponding drop in the SN margin "Down" value to 1/1.5.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 09:45:22 PM »

Have gone back to the old microfilter again as Internet radio was dropping out earlier this afternoon. Again I saw a corresponding drop in the SN margin "Down" value to 1/1.5.

It could be the SSFP MK3 is increasing your line attenuation but would need to see your attenuation up/down using the MK3 and the microfilter to see the changes if there is any.

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 04:33:56 AM »

It could be the SSFP MK3 is increasing your line attenuation but would need to see your attenuation up/down using the MK3 and the microfilter to see the changes if there is any.

NS The Mk3 increases attenuation at 16-17 MHz -  Jimadine is on ADSL 2MHz max !!

A plot of signal/noise ratio or bit loading vs channel would clarify.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 08:24:50 PM »

NS The Mk3 increases attenuation at 16-17 MHz -  Jimadine is on ADSL 2MHz max !!

A plot of signal/noise ratio or bit loading vs channel would clarify.

I have a feeling Jimadine does not have access to Modem stats software that would give us a physical graph to both of your requested plots, so we may have to interpret the line stats the old way  ;)

Jimadine

• Just arrived
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 09:35:24 PM »

Thanks for all your comments, and apologies for the tardy reply. It sounds like there's no obvious reason why I'm experiencing problems with the faceplate. I will install the RouterStats program at the weekend when I have more time to dedicate to this.

This week I have had the occasional drop out with the conventional filter, but nothing like as bad as with the faceplate. So I guess it's mostly my line at fault.