Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: HG612 stats  (Read 4103 times)

ipnightly

HG612 stats
« on: November 19, 2014, 10:04:54 PM »

I am about 0.9 of a mile from the cabinet and the exchange is a further 0.6 miles from there. I have had 5 OR engineers and 4 overhead guys in the last 4 weeks since install. They all start off telling me they can't find a fault and end up telling me they have fixed one! My ISP asked me if it was okay if they sent an engineer out one last time and I said ok. However, they didn't show! So I replaced the modem in a vain attempt to see what was going on.

I upgraded from ADSL2+ and had 6M down and .96M up and was looking for more in the upstream in particular. The BT and Plusnet checks quoted 26M down and 6 up ( 3.9M on an impacted line ).
My profile is set at 17a and I get attainable rates of 20Mdown and 1.2M up. I am actually getting 16M down ( was getting 18M till I swapped modem with an unlocked one and set up V4 stats logging and probably caused a resync ) and 0.67 up ( slower than my ADSL!

Been running the stats software for 2 days, but I can't say that I know what I am looking for! Although I do see some potential issues, there is just too much for me to take in and I am about to pull the plug.

I would be very grateful if someone could comment on the attached stats from the HG612 logs. Are there any other stats that might be useful? Is there any way to get upstream line attenuation from the modem ?

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: HG612 stats
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 10:52:46 PM »

I am about 0.9 of a mile from the cabinet and the exchange is a further 0.6 miles from there. I have had 5 OR engineers and 4 overhead guys in the last 4 weeks since install. They all start off telling me they can't find a fault and end up telling me they have fixed one! My ISP asked me if it was okay if they sent an engineer out one last time and I said ok. However, they didn't show! So I replaced the modem in a vain attempt to see what was going on.

I am just going tell you straight 0.9 miles from your premises to FTTC cabinet is very long thats 1448 meters it more than likely your on the Faster Broadband service so thats all your gonna get  :(

If you take my line 1000 meters for example you can see the difference
Discovery Phase (Initial) Band Plan
US: (7,32) (871,1205) (1972,2782)
DS: (33,859) (1216,1961) (2793,3970)

now have a look at my 
Medley Phase (Final) Band Plan
US: (7,32) (871,1205)
DS: (33,859) (1216,1961)

So your line is only able to use the tones  US: (7,32) and DS: (33,859)
thats why your upstream is low it need to use tones above 1000.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 11:39:22 PM by NewtronStar »

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 07:59:00 PM »

The next DS band doesn't start until tone 1216.

Your attenuation in the D2 band is far too high to actually be able to use it.

Attenuation beyond around 66dB to 70dB seems to be the cut off point.

Your Hlog graphs shows quite a steep attenuation over frequency curve & it is already at around 78dB or so at the start of the D2 band.

It also seems that the U1 band is also too highly attenuated to use.

ipnightly

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 11:53:35 AM »

Thanks guys. If thats the case, I wonder why they keep sending engineers? Seems like a waste of time on mine and their part.
I think I will ask to be rolled back to my ADSL2+.

Thanks.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 04:03:07 PM »

I think I will ask to be rolled back to my ADSL2+.

That probably is the best option, in this case.  :-\  Perhaps you will keep us updated as to how things progress?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

ipnightly

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 04:45:27 PM »

One of the problems I see with the graphs and stats ( and you may be right about the cutoff )  is that there is N/A in the stats page under U1 and the graph shows a straigh horizontal line on the graph under U1. Yet when looking at D2, which are frequencies above U1, the stats give a figure 82.5 and there is a curved line on the graph, although somewhat noisy.

As it is really a bit extra in the upload I am interested in, I find it strange that those frequencies in U1 seem to be completely missing. I would expect to seem some figure. Of course I know didley squat myself, so might be barking up the wrong tree!

As an update, I agreed, again, that they could send an engineer out today. As yet, he has not arrived....again!

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 09:49:24 PM »

Interesting Links the core factor with FTTC is the local loop length that is the last part to your premises the D-side or as I like to call it the copper cab this is the bitch with all FTTC service's and the reason why no two lines are exactly the same, yet there is one constant with FTTC the closer you are to the D-side cab the better your chance for good broadband.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 10:08:05 PM by NewtronStar »

ipnightly

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2014, 03:50:18 PM »

Update.
Used GPS to get distance info.
I am 350m from main pole on the main road. The pole is 1km from the cabinet. So my initial driving estimate was pretty accurate. It is pretty much a straight line between pole and cabinet and cables are underground.

New engineer arrived on Friday and one of the things he did try was testing the signal at the pole on the main road and was getting 0.8M up and 26M down. The downstream figure is inline with BT's own checker ( 4M on an impacted upstream is expected).
The engineer phoned base and they did some tests and I got to speak with them also.

I am told that.....BT only look at downstream when doing diagnostics and although the line was under performing, BT would not look into the upstream issue.
In fairness, they did look at other connections from the same pole and apparently and they are only getting .8M up, so "you are not going to get any better" !

However, it would be my contention, that those people are suffering from the same fault and although it may not be an issue for them now, it may be an issue later. Of course they may not realise there is an issue!

I suspect there is a fault between the pole and cabinet that is killing that range of tones.

To demonstrate the issue, I maxed out my upload stream ( 84 KB/s ), started a download and got 200 kb/s. I killed the upload and the download immediately shot up to 17200kb/s ( over 2MB/s ).

Have updated my fault ticket and wait on some feedback, probably next week.

anything