Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: SNR-per-tone graph range (DSLStats v5.2)  (Read 10317 times)

drewk

Re: SNR-per-tone graph range (DSLStats v5.2)
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2014, 02:38:41 AM »

Thanks, drewk.

When you say across the line, are you bridging both legs? Where, exactly, are you installing the resistor?

I have the same fluctuation and I wonder if this is the final push that's gets me onto fastpath :)

Each leg of the resistor is connected to one of the two wires of the ADSL phone line: one leg to the "tip" wire and the other to the "ring" wire as they are called (red and green in my case).

Actually, I placed the resistor on a terminal strip and wired that into an unused RJ11 phone jack that I had laying around: one end of the resistor goes to the red wire, the other to the green. (Which wires you use depends on your particular telephone line wiring). Then I just use a short length RJ11 phone cord to connect it to any vacant wall jack: plug one end of the cord into the resistor jack and the other end into a wall jack that carries the adsl/phone line.

See the photo; yellow and black are not used in my phone system. Red and green are the live wires: there is approx 50 volts across them; more when the phone rings, so you would  want to make sure none of the terminals is exposed to touch before plugging it in.

drewk

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2014, 01:08:30 PM »

drewk: could you attach your Hlog and QLN (essentially HR fault Hlog and QLN)?
Quote from: drewk
Placing a resistor across the line will allow a current to flow at all times, not just while the handset is lifted.
Have you confused with capacitor?

I don't seem to have any QLN or Hlog graphs under noisy conditions but here are recent graphs for my very quiet line.

The resistor (not a capacitor) keeps a continuous DC electrical current flowing through the line which "zaps" oxidized terminal connections or splices.

konrado5

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2014, 06:21:52 PM »

drewk: I see some similarities between my Hlog and your. I have similar undulations. My Hlog is for example here:
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=14668.0

Best regards
konrado5

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2014, 10:31:46 PM »

So... what's that resistor called? What do I ask for at Ye Olde Resistor Shop? :D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2014, 11:54:17 PM »

So... what's that resistor called? What do I ask for at Ye Olde Resistor Shop? :D

Looking at drewk's picture, above, I see blue, grey, red and silver bands on the resistor.

Making use of the look-up table in the first main section of that page, I interpret the resistor as being 6.8 kOhms.

blue = 6
grey = 8
red = 102
silver = +/- 10%
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

drewk

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2014, 06:12:21 PM »

Looking at drewk's picture, above, I see blue, grey, red and silver bands on the resistor.

Making use of the look-up table in the first main section of that page, I interpret the resistor as being 6.8 kOhms.

blue = 6
grey = 8
red = 102
silver = +/- 10%

Yes, that is correct: I am using a 6.8k resistor. I would suggest starting with a 15k first and see if that helps (= brown/green/red bands). A 15k will draw less current but may be enough to "seal" the line. On my line with 15k, the problem returned within several days. With 6.8k it has been running full speed for three weeks now.

Also, important: the power dissipation of the resistor should be at least 1 watt. A smaller wattage resistor will get hot and may fail. You can of course use a larger wattage resistor with no problem.

Pages: 1 [2]

anything