Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: iOS 8 & 8.1 upgrade  (Read 5792 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
iOS 8 & 8.1 upgrade
« on: November 04, 2014, 01:29:49 PM »

Yesterday, after updating one of my test devices to iOS 8.1,

Dont get me started on that.  Ive currently got my dads ipad which has nearly gone out of the window.  Last month it would have taken him more than 12hrs to download iOS 8 on his adsl connection so I brought it here to do.   I took it back to his home where its worked ok, but now hes being nagged to update to iOS 8.1....  so dutiful daughter brought it back here again this morning.. but I cant get the damn thing to connect to my network to update no matter what I try.  I'm actually looking at it right now and after searches I see that this is a common bug with iOS 8.    I didnt really want to have to do a default reset because it will forget all previous wifi passwords...  but it looks like Im going to have to as just clearing mine hasnt worked.  :mad:

----
Edited by admin to split thread and form own topic.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 01:16:15 AM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: iOS 8 & 8.1 upgrade
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 03:14:09 PM »

I didnt really want to have to do a default reset because it will forget all previous wifi passwords...  but it looks like Im going to have to as just clearing mine hasnt worked.  :mad:

I don't actually use iTunes a great deal, I just play with my own Apps.  But I wonder if you could back it up first, then reset, then restore ... and would that stand a chance of getting things to work?   Don't blame me if that makes matters worse though!

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 11:56:43 PM »

But I wonder if you could back it up first, then reset, then restore

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately I couldnt back it up because it just wouldnt connect to my network, and aside from if I connected it to my PC then it may have got muxed up with my apps etc.   In the end we updated it on his own internet connection.  Luckily it wasnt as big an update as 8.0 so didnt take too long.

Since then though, my own ipad (iOS 8.1) is now being a PITA and intermittently not seeing my connection.   Its almost like its forgetting the settings and d/cs from the network and then cant find it again.  It will usually work if I switch the wifi off and then back on again, but its still a bit of a nuisance.    The ipod and ATV are fine - as is my android phone. 

Also iirc you too have an ipad2?   Have you noticed power consumption difference since the update?   Normally I dont have to plug it in every day, yet for the past week Ive had to recharge it every single night.  I wouldnt even say Ive even been using it a lot.. possibly less than normal because Ive been out most days and evenings, and I usually use my  ipod to stream to the ATV, so if anything I would expect that to need recharging the most.   Ive not had chance to look what could suddenly be draining the battery quicker, but Ive not installed anything new. 
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 12:03:42 AM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 12:10:36 AM »

I do have an iPad2, but I won't be updating it.   A major problem for iOS dev's is that, once a device is updated, you can't go back.   So if somebody claims your App doesn't work on an earlier version you are really a bit stuck.

The device we updated to iOS 8.1 was a later iPad Mini.   It seems sort of OK, though I've noticed a few OS crashes, leading to what looks like a full restart from the Apple logo.  Older iOS versions you'd see the occasional App crash, but this is the first time I've seen the OS crashing.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 01:04:23 AM »

Thanks for the reply.  Ive not really had a problem with crashing.  It did do a full restart on its own just the once a few days after the update for some obscure reason, but other than that touch wood its been ok.

Ive just spent some time trying to find out whats been going on and it seems like battery life and wifi are the major complaints for 8.1 :(
Ive just gone through and tried all the suggestions listed here.  I was quite surprised at how many settings seemed to have changed by the upgrade :(   Ive also turned off that spotlight thing which I dont want.  So I'll see how it goes and if it makes a difference. 

Next Im going to search and find if theres any way I can get rid of all the annoying icons its dumped on my home screen for apps that I'll never use, but wont delete.   :mad:   

I also seem to have jumped in on your thread and taken it OT (sorry  :-[ ), so I'll split it to its own thread.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 01:27:56 AM »

Next Im going to search and find if theres any way I can get rid of all the annoying icons its dumped on my home screen for apps that I'll never use, but wont delete.   :mad:   

I guess thats a no.  :angry:

I now have a whole front home page for icons which I never use such as the annoying 'Tips'  along with others such as game center, ipad messenger, podcasts, newstand etc etc.   :no:

Code: [Select]
Tips app ships with the iOS 8, so it’s a default app and you should know this simple rule about all the default apps:
we cannot remove them from our iPhones, iPads, or iPod Touch.

I will be doing this though which is a good idea to clear the clutter from my screen.
-----

anything