Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: DSLstats - requests please :)  (Read 14226 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: DSLstats - requests please :)
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2014, 01:01:43 PM »

I hope Im not speaking out of turn as Eric would be the best person to answer because its his baby, however...

DSLstats only works on Broadcom based routers

Unfortunately, the HH5 is locked and doesnt provide telnet access to be able to get any stats.  It also uses a Lantiq chipset and therefore even if you did have telnet access to the CLI none of the broadcom commands to get the stats would work.

Your best bet would be routerstats hub which scrapes the data from the webGUI.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2014, 01:03:55 PM »

I can't see any reason why DSLStats couldn't use the HTTP interface

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2014, 01:19:48 PM »

I am sure it could  --- if --- anyone has the time and inclination to do a major job coding it and maintaining thereafter.  It might be a lot easier to get a broadcom based device.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2014, 01:30:06 PM »

Easier for the 3 million users who have the HH5?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2014, 01:33:23 PM »

I can't see any reason why DSLStats couldn't use the HTTP interface

To do so would mean an entirely different approach and probably encroaching in an area the John already covers with routerstats.
DSLstats uses telnet and the router's CLI which provides far more information about the line stats. 

Its an entirely different way of doing things, Im trying to think of a simple way of putting it, but a similar difference could be described as how you need a web-browser such as Firefox to fetch and interpret information using the http protocol from a server or you need an ftp client such as Filezilla to fetch or put files from/on a server using the ftp protocol.   The webgui GUI uses http whilst the CLI uses telnet.  Think of Johns program as the former, Erics is the latter.  So it would be a major overhaul to make DSLstats perform like routerstats. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2014, 01:37:04 PM »

There are some Routers that use odd pop up type interface to login, meaning the the HTTP access cannot be used by a remote program to access the stats as the login stage always fails.
So telnet has to be used
(as indeed the notes on John's Routerstats/RS lite program suite explains)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2014, 01:39:30 PM »

Easier for the 3 million users who have the HH5?

As an alternative someone may be able to do something like this which ejs wrote for the TPlink routers.

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=14377.msg269624#msg269624

---
ETA

Should have mentioned that the TpLink routers such as the TD-W9980 use the same chipset at the HH5 which is why I mentioned it.   Dont know how much BT have b@stardised the HHs though.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 02:08:21 PM by kitz »
-----

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2014, 02:08:40 PM »

Somebody has already done it, but it would be nice to have it integrated into DSLStats and then MWDS
http://www.s-parker.uk/2014/08/accessing-bt-home-hub-5-statistics-with-php-curl/

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2014, 02:46:44 PM »

While there is some useful data on that page most people who monitor things would be very disappointed with the absence of error stats. Most of the dslstats and MWDS pages would be blank.  While this thread is about requests we need to remember that any request is asking if an unpaid person is willing to spend some or a lot their time on something.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2014, 02:50:45 PM »

Any chance of adding the Homehub 5 as a supported device? Limited stats are available over the HTTP interface.

I see others have already given some good answers, but this is what I was going to say:

Sorry, but I'm afraid not. DSLstats gets all its data by telnet, and getting some data by HTTP would involve more extra writing and testing than I've got energy for.
  Eric

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2014, 02:55:27 PM »

If there was a how-to I'm sure some keen coder could be persuaded to hack some code together to do it.

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2014, 03:38:00 PM »

While there is some useful data on that page most people who monitor things would be very disappointed with the absence of error stats. Most of the dslstats and MWDS pages would be blank.  While this thread is about requests we need to remember that any request is asking if an unpaid person is willing to spend some or a lot their time on something.

Well said.

Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2014, 04:01:15 PM »

Give the 3 million users of the Homehub 5 I'm sure there's a lot more chance that donations from just a fraction of them would result in figures far exceeding expectations.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2014, 04:27:01 PM »

Give the 3 million users of the Homehub 5 I'm sure there's a lot more chance that donations from just a fraction of them would result in figures far exceeding expectations.

Sorry but I can see no point in carrying on this discussion. Roseway has said a firm NO, it is his program and so that should put an end to it.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2014, 04:30:14 PM »

Sorry but I can see no point in carrying on this discussion. Roseway has said a firm NO, it is his program and so that should put an end to it.

Stuart

I'll just add that Eric doesn't expect or even accept donations.
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything