Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Wiring existing extensions into a VOIP adapter  (Read 4847 times)

Vanburen

Wiring existing extensions into a VOIP adapter
« on: November 12, 2014, 04:37:48 PM »

I will (hopefully) be in the position of getting a Gigaclear FTTP connection in the next couple of months.

This will mean we'll probably want to get the BT line disconnected.

However we have a couple of extensions and an alarm panel wired into the front plate of the master socket, which I would like to to be able to connect to a VOIP adapter (possibly Vonage).

Assuming I have the BT line disconnected and I then plugged a RJ11 + BT 431A adapter[1] into the master socket (RJ11 used for the VOIP adapter,  BT 431A for a DECT base station), would the extensions and alarm panel then be able to dial out via the VOIP adapter?

I think this *should* work, but just wanted to ask in case anyone had any experience doing anything similar.

[1] http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-431A-Plug-to-BT-Socket-RJ11-4-Wire-Telephone-Cable-Adapter-005907-/190747444542

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Wiring existing extensions into a VOIP adapter
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 05:34:00 PM »

:hmm:  Hmm . . . I do not have any experience of what you propose to do but I have thought it through, paused, re-read your proposal and thought again.

If I am understanding correctly, you intend to (essentially) have the telephone "line" connected to the existing wiring via the adaptor being plugged into the front of the NTE5/A. It should work . . . but perhaps a thought experiment is called for.

Let us imagine that you have your Gigaclear FTTP service installed and operational. Remove the lower front face-plate from the NTE5/A and then plug the adaptor into it, then plug the DECT base station & VOIP adaptor into the respective sockets. It should then work. Why do I suggest unplugging the lower front face-plate from the NTE5/A? You do not want to have the loading of the capacitor - resistor pair from the NTE5/A nor Beattie's metallic pathway across your circuit.

Further thinking . . . Perhaps you should ask Gigaclear exactly what they provision for an install.  :-\  I imagine there would have to be an ONT (or media-converter). The typical ONT installed by Beattie -- for example the Huawei HG8240 (see image below) -- has two ports for telephony purposes to which the existing internal wiring cab be connected. You may find that Gigiaclear are already prepared to connect to existing internal telephony wiring.

I will certainly be interested to know what they would advise.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Vanburen

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 10:03:12 PM »

Thanks for your insight burakkucat, it's very helpful.

I hadn't considered that the socket itself or the disconnected line may potentially cause issues. Ideally there would be some form of interstitial plate available which could route all the faceplate wiring to an RJ11 socket, while ensuring there was no connection to the test socket. I have an old i-plate lying around somewhere, so might try making something myself.

Gigaclear don't actually offer a phone service, and have partnered with Vonage.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 11:56:29 PM »

Since typing my earlier comments I have remembered that when Beattie installs a FTTP service and the end user has requested FVA (fibre voice access), a modified NTE5/A is then fitted. Basically the NTE5/A is fitted with a switch. The configuration switch selects either the old metallic pathway (D-side) or the link from the ONT.

Unfortunately I do not have a picture of such an NTE5/A to share.  :no:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

benji09

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 10:29:00 PM »

I assume the alarm panel uses the BT line to dial out. If this is so, the BT line is 50V, but I doubt if the vonage VOIP adapter provides that higher voltage for a phone, or your alarm panel. Could you not try wiring it up before new broadband arrives to try it. Also does the alarm panel dial out a standard telephone number when it activates, or a special number? If the latter, the vonage phone system might not be compatable with your alarm system.
  Incidentally, SIPGATE is a very cost effective VOIP network............
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 09:30:44 AM by benji09 »

Berrick

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 09:32:36 AM »

alarm panel wired into the front plate of the master socket, which I would like to to be able to connect to a VOIP adapter

Something you may have overlooked regarding the alarm.

If mains power fails even though you most probably have a battery backup in the alram system you wont have in your VoIP or Gigaclear FTTP equipment by default, so no internet. Therefore even if the alarm has been triggered and is sending you wont receive it.  :'(
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional

benji09

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 09:25:54 PM »

Another problem with tampering with your alarm wiring is that if your insurance company knows that you have an alarm system that is supposed to be wired to the correct specification, and it is not, they might  refuse to pay out a claim that you submit to them. Your alarm company must approve, or even carry out any modifications to the system. You would probably find this wording in your contract with them...........