Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Putting Fibre In The Ducts.  (Read 3842 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Putting Fibre In The Ducts.
« on: November 12, 2014, 10:50:00 AM »

I was in Derby yesterday, a new railway bridge is being built on London road, it is a year long project and is nearly finished, I spotted a BT van and trailer next to a large open JBP and they where pulling new fibre ducts for the new bridge.
I tried to have a chat with the man working the winch but was difficult because of the noise from the winch engine.
 He said they pull most of the fibre ducts in the night and also blow the fibre in at night, they are allowed to start 12.01pm and can do it without roadworks permission, so that's why I did not see anything about the fibre being put in in our village on the roadworks website  http://roadworks.org/  , but I did have a feeling it had gone in a few weeks ago when I noticed the dirt around the JBP lids in the direction of the exchange had been disturbed.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 11:00:26 PM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Putting Fibre In The Ducts.
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 02:49:27 PM »

The actual glass fibre is never pulled (or pushed).  :no:

What you witnessed being pulled into the standard ducting is the sub-ducting. (It looks like a thick black cable with a yellow stripe along its length.) It is into the sub-ducting that the fibre is then subsequently blown.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 07:43:18 PM »

>> He said they pull most of the fibre in the night <<

Ive several times now seen fibre being blown during the day around here.  I suppose it may perhaps have something to do with locality and how much the road may be obstructed during the process, but twice in the past year or so,  Ive had to cross over to the other side of the main road to pass the vehicle parked blocking the road, which contained that big reel of cable.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 09:31:08 PM »

Around these parts we are generally discouraged from feeding them bread and the likes, even high fibre wholemeal.   It is just not part of their natural diet we are told, and can lead to other health problems.

Ah, just spotted, you said Duckts.  :blush:    Sorry, thought of it and couldn't resist.  Back on topic, please.   ;D

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 11:08:39 PM »

The actual glass fibre is never pulled (or pushed).  :no:
As usual from my small number of brain cells I did not use the right words. :-[
What you witnessed being pulled into the standard ducting is the sub-ducting. (It looks like a thick black cable with a yellow stripe along its length.) It is into the sub-ducting that the fibre is then subsequently blown.

What he was pulling in was like a figure of 8 , black one tube green the other, looked like 5mm dia each tube , but overhaul size  about 20mm across .
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 12:09:27 AM »

What he was pulling in was like a figure of 8 , black one tube green the other, looked like 5mm dia each tube , but overhaul size  about 20mm across.

Interesting. I wonder if (special agent) Walter has seen similar?  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 02:05:59 PM »

Ive several times now seen fibre being blown during the day around here.  I suppose it may perhaps have something to do with locality and how much the road may be obstructed during the process, but twice in the past year or so,  Ive had to cross over to the other side of the main road to pass the vehicle parked blocking the road, which contained that big reel of cable.

was in day also here and I am on a main road, however with that said the ducts here are below pavement not the road.

they dont need permission at night as is no noise.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 02:46:19 PM »

was in day also here and I am on a main road, however with that said the ducts here are below pavement not the road.

they dont need permission at night as is no noise.
I do not think it's a golden rule that they put it all in at night, maybe a day team and a night team .
You say no noise  :lol:  if you could hear the noise that winch was making  :lol:

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 02:49:34 PM »

What he was pulling in was like a figure of 8 , black one tube green the other, looked like 5mm dia each tube , but overhaul size  about 20mm across.

Interesting. I wonder if (special agent) Walter has seen similar?  :-\

I think it's to do with TV video networks.  :hmm: There was/is a small TV studio down the road.