Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Huawei EchoLife HG612 Home Gateway DSLstats etc. Modem connections.  (Read 5373 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)

I'm a bit puzzled by the comments about why the need to connect the HG612 as in the WiKi 
   http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/hg612unlock.htm           
running a RJ45 cable running between LAN2 on the modem and a spare port on the router. Why. :hmm:

I use....HG612 Modem LAN1 (LAN2 not used)>smoothwall firewall>switch> network and 4 WiFi access points. I have DSLstats on my WiFi connected laptop and I have put the Modem LAN ip address in the Login page, I do not have any problems in getting the stats, I can also bring the modem stats up with a web browser, Seems to like Firefox Browser best.

I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Dray

• Kitizen
Re: Huawei EchoLife HG612 Home Gateway DSLstats etc. Modem connections.
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 10:20:59 PM »

When its configured as a modem with PPPOE running on the router, the modem is invisible.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 03:06:22 PM »

When its configured as a modem with PPPOE running on the router, the modem is invisible.

I do not use a router as such so will there be any way to get the modem stats if I ever get FTTC ?

Remembering that my Static IP's are internet ones (EG not yet gone through my firewall and routed).

I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 04:32:35 PM »

I do not use a router as such so will there be any way to get the modem stats if I ever get FTTC ?

Remembering that my Static IP's are internet ones (EG not yet gone through my firewall and routed).

I do it with a lan cable from lan2 to my switch, bypassing the smoothie. There is no security issue as lan2 does not have any access to the WAN, the cable is purely to access the hg612 UI and telnet for stats purposes.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 09:36:15 PM »

I do it with a lan cable from lan2 to my switch, bypassing the smoothie. There is no security issue as lan2 does not have any access to the WAN, the cable is purely to access the hg612 UI and telnet for stats purposes.
I had a look at this today on LAN2 on the modem I can get a public IP address and get on the internet with my set up .
So I do not think this will work on ADSL modem !.
I did try again to set up PPPoE, Bridge, Smoothbox dialing, I could get DSL up but there was no way to get it on the internet, I also tried my laptop PPPoE but that would not connect it.

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 10:12:05 PM »

I had a look at this today on LAN2 on the modem I can get a public IP address and get on the internet with my set up .
So I do not think this will work on ADSL modem !.
I did try again to set up PPPoE, Bridge, Smoothbox dialing, I could get DSL up but there was no way to get it on the internet, I also tried my laptop PPPoE but that would not connect it.

it must be in default bridge mode with WAN bridged to LAN1 only.  As it is when OR provide it. Set up PPPoE on SWE, and if you're using SWE 3.1 add the DNS server addresses manually on the PPP page, because there's an issue with automatically getting the DNS addresses from PPPoE (will be fixed in update1 when it releases).

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 10:53:16 PM »

it must be in default bridge mode with WAN bridged to LAN1 only.  As it is when OR provide it. Set up PPPoE on SWE, and if you're using SWE 3.1 add the DNS server addresses manually on the PPP page, because there's an issue with automatically getting the DNS addresses from PPPoE (will be fixed in update1 when it releases).
That's the default bridge I tried but do not forget I use static IP's I have to give one to the modem LAN with it's subnet mask I cannot just use it in the default 192.168.1.1/ 255..255.255.0 mode.
I use SWE3 and I can add DG & DNS.
Like another poster on ADSL it will not connect to the internet.
I had to go back to using PPPoA with un & pw on the modem.