Broadband Related > ADSL Issues

ADSL activated and going nicely

(1/2) > >>

soms:
Back last year I decided to rent my own exchange line in addition to the family one and back at the start of Jan ordered BT TB Option 1 which was activated today. The delay was due to line works (previously on DACS).

The best bit is that the broadband is coming nice and fast compared to the other line, I expect the line routing may be more direct or something. The difference though is fairly noticable:

Original line:

Equip: Netgear DG834 router
Attenuation (DS): 51dB (US): 15.5dB
Noise margin (DS): 10dB (US): 16dB
Line rate (DS): 2080kbps (US): 448kbps

Newly activated line:

Equip: BT Voyager 220V router
Attenuation (DS): 48dB (US): 28dB
Noise margin (DS): 6.1dB (US): 17dB
Line rate (DS): 5888kbps (US): 448kbps

I expect it will drop out this evening and wouldn't be suprised in the longer term if the target margin might increase slightly as with the original line. I was quite impressed by the difference in performance, before it was activated I was only hoping to get at least 2 meg similar to the other line.

kitz:
Much better :)

>> I expect it will drop out this evening and wouldn't be suprised in the longer term if the target margin might increase slightly.

What amount of SNRM does the other line normally fluctuate by?
Wondering - do you have any plans to try and avoid the DLM system kicking in.  eg let it resync at the lower rate this evening and then keep it switched on and let it stay there?

I dont know if DMTv8 works with the Voyager 220V, but it does work for some of the Voyager 2xx series, perhaps worth a try and certainly no harm done if it doesnt.

>> I was quite impressed by the difference in performance,

Do you by any chance live somewhere where there is a "triangle" route back to the exchange?  Jabsn has 2 lines to his house and it appears that each of them come in via different routing because of his location from the exchange.  I have a friend who also had an "option"* of which green cab hers came in at.  The one that actually served the estate had practically been "all round the houses" by the time it got to hers. 
There was also another green cab  which went down the main road and although the 2nd cab was very slightly further away from the exchange and had a longer E side, its D-side was much shorter giving her an overall shorter line distance back to the exchange.

*I say "option" lightly because it took her about 2 years to get moved.

[edited cause I just realised I trypoed muxed up the D's and E's

soms:
Hmm yes I was wondering about the potential for routing variations. The nearest green cab I have seen is over a mile away and as far as that point I believe there is only the one underground route. We're in a rural location and our village is the last one served by our exchange in that direction.

The number of different road routes back to the exchange are very few and are similar distances, working out at less than 4km. I really know nothing about how UG cables are routed, and whether certain feeds are linked up away from the obvious exchange route I am not sure. Only the last few metres down the road are overhead - with the drop wire going to a joint and then a fat cable down to the DP.

As for SNR variations they are not to bad to be fair, only a few dB up and down over the course of the day. We get more problems with the power tripping off occassionally which has had an effect on the DLM. At one point it looked like the target SNR was 15dB and it still might well be given the variations.

Ezzer:
Soms, look like your recombined things to get a good result. If you were DACS'ed before this usualy means you may well be a distance from the exchange. A DACS ould only be fitted for a good reason & sometimes to de-DACS a line can involve quite a fair bit of work.

Kitz from what you said, is there a number on the nearest Green Cabinet to you, if so is it something/something. Cabs are normaly numbered from No. 1 onwards. some conveluted routes there may be a line going though a cab or PCP then through a secondry cab/SCP which would have the cab number/1 (or /2 etc). assuming your going through an scp your line lenght may be a bit long.

There's an exchange i work from where a cab has 3 scp's, none of the lines are particualy long, just a querk of the rural area. Otherwise such a secondary cabinet could just be a lightning protection unit.

UncleUB:
Does this need moving to a more suited thread ?Sorry if I,m wrong.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version