Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: INPORTANT MyDSLWebStats Announcement  (Read 5785 times)

tbailey2

• Kitizen
INPORTANT MyDSLWebStats Announcement
« on: November 10, 2014, 08:36:03 AM »

Please see THIS POST in the MyDSLWebStats thread....

Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: MyDSLWebStats - Remote Web-based Monitoring now available!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 02:53:23 PM »

if you give me amount of hdd space required and bandwidth I might host your stuff for free.  Got a quad core intel with 32gig of ram doing not much activity.  But its not hosted in the uk, its in germany (main reason uk hosting costs are too expensive for my liking).

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: Re: MyDSLWebStats - Remote Web-based Monitoring now available!
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 07:19:36 PM »

I think you need to make a harder impact using video it worked for Bob Geldof http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFQ4HNvcz3w
Please get your wallets out and donate using paypal  :)

chris6273

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 07:55:27 PM »

Tony, I think you need to consider harder about where you get your server resources from - £120 a month is absolutely pathetic.

Have you looked at providers such as Online.net/OVH? We're currently hosting a server from Online.net with a gigabit connection, Xeon E3-1220 V2 & 8GB RAM witha  1TB hard drive for £30 a month and it's fantastic! Absolutely no issues whatsoever.

I highly doubt you need £120 a month worth of server to run that platform somehow...

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 08:01:58 PM »

I think we need to consider the support. One thing having a hosted server, supporting it is another issue. Should we be asking a volunteer to carry that responsibility.....I think not

I don't think the word "pathetic" is really the right way to express your view ?

Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 08:50:23 PM »

I think we need some idea of what the current loading is for this project before any of us can really see what the costs are likely to be. It is great to have something like this but it needs careful consideration as to how to fund it and for that we need to know what the actual requirements are in terms of storage, bandwidth etc for the current 90 or so users. I agree that it is not reasonable to expect this to be funded by one person, but for it to be funded by the users we need to know more about what is required and what the real tangible benefits are, and therefore what the most cost effective way is to provide it. There are certainly cheaper hosting solutions around but no one right now knows if they would be sufficient.

I must admit I did sign up recently but only to see what the benefit might be for me personally. However so far I'm not sure for me at least there is much beyond the mild interest in seeing what others achieve. If I really needed  to access my stats from the internet I could use Eric's built-in webserver or I could upload my stats data to my own website somehow (now there is a thought for Eric  ;) ).

I am not saying this is not a good idea, but I am saying there needs to be some careful assessment of what the use is and the best way to make it affordable.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 08:52:23 PM »

I sympathise with Tony.  I have a similar issue myself, only Im dealing with several million of hits per week and thousands of individual users per day.   The main site is still by far, way busier than the forums and the adsl checker alone has a huge database accessed by several users per minute.  The forum isnt as busy but its still accessed by anything from 40-100+ people each and every second.

Ive gone down the well worn path of shared hosting, cloud hosting, advanced business hosting, bespoke hosting and dedicated.  No webhost will touch me unless I go dedicated - its been like that for years -  and its my choice to use UK webhosting because I need managed support to take care of crucial server software updates.   For decent dedicated hosting with decent support in the UK then a starting price of > £100+ VAT pm sounds about right to me.  US hosting is way cheaper, but I could not do with the additional latency, nor would I be just a (0800 24/7) phone call away from support.  I pay annually and like most owners behind such community sites we've all put our hands deep into our own pockets to sustain a site.  European hosting is perhaps a good midground, but I think if you are serving a UK community then you need UK or European hosting, you dont want to be crunching numbers on a sever several thousand miles away from your audience.

That said, MDWS is database driven so aside from the database then storage isnt going to be a big deal as theres no large files and each display is simply number crunching from the database so CPU is going to be the main requirement.  Based on the fact of 60 active users then whatever the mechanics it doesnt justify nor is it ever going to be able to generate enough income to cover dedicated hosting.    Based on the number of users and comparable to number of users of this forum which is also database driven.. then yes my forum alone (not counting the main site & wiki) would cope very easily on VDS and tbh it would even cope on cloud hosting/ high spec shared hosting with a reputable host.     
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 09:34:09 PM »

Here goes the confession....I am a freeloader....if i can get it for free then I will.....but I recently donated to Tony a sum of money I would be prepared to pay for this service because it is SO useful to me.

I should also donate to other software/firmware/services I use....but I probably will not :blush:

Ian

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 10:16:26 PM »

I must admit I did sign up recently but only to see what the benefit might be for me personally. However so far I'm not sure for me at least there is much beyond the mild interest in seeing what others achieve. If I really needed  to access my stats from the internet I could use Eric's built-in webserver or I could upload my stats data to my own website somehow (now there is a thought for Eric  ;) ).

I am not saying this is not a good idea, but I am saying there needs to be some careful assessment of what the use is and the best way to make it affordable.

Stuart

Kind of know what your saying though after using MDWS as the upload from the RPi 24/7 its has given me a better understanding of my line and into others this is where MDWS really works to see and identify a possible issue for the community but most of the community running modem stats software will be well aware of the possible cause.

For me MDWS just seems to give the best of both worlds of 24/7 modem stats, DSLstats is good for graphing for 24 hours and works on the RPi but if you want to see over 24 hours or 10 days in a single graph with DSLstats then you would be better of with HG612_Modem_stats but it won't work on the RPi as the software is windows based and my PC will be turned off at bedtime so HG612_Modem_stats fails in 24/7 stats logging the RPi does the 24/7 52 days of the week.

£120 thats the amount of savings I save a year on electricity with the RPi doing the Modem stats  ;D
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 10:28:58 PM by NewtronStar »

chris6273

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 09:04:10 PM »

I think we need to consider the support. One thing having a hosted server, supporting it is another issue. Should we be asking a volunteer to carry that responsibility.....I think not

I don't think the word "pathetic" is really the right way to express your view ?

My comment is basically just on the hosting costs: "£120 a month that the dedicated server rental for this facility costs" - That's an enormous amount of money every month for a dedicated server nowadays!

Have to admit though - UK hosting is very expensive. Does it have to be in the UK though? - How about France?

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2014, 05:27:53 AM »

My comment is basically just on the hosting costs: "£120 a month that the dedicated server rental for this facility costs" - That's an enormous amount of money every month for a dedicated server nowadays!

Have to admit though - UK hosting is very expensive. Does it have to be in the UK though? - How about France?

yeah I pay a fraction of that for a server in canada (could be france if I wanted)

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2014, 09:27:15 AM »

I don't seem to feel these responses are helping Tbaily2 with his dilemma in providing this service to us on a "Donation" basis.

Perhaps the forum moderator might setup a "Doodle" poll, to see how many want it, are they prepared to donate, and the quantum. I'm sure BE1 is familiar with the free Doddle service but I'm also willing to set it up if necessary ?

Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2014, 09:24:12 PM »

Perhaps the forum moderator might setup a "Doodle" poll, to see how many want it, are they prepared to donate,

its pure and simple g3uiss the money aint coming in and is going into negative equity running this MDWS server it looks like the tough decision has been made to downgrade from expensive server to a low cost server it makes sence as I can't see 60 users forking out £2 pound per month every month it then turns into whats called a monthly contract  :no:

« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 09:26:38 PM by NewtronStar »

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2014, 10:26:11 PM »

I'm sure BE1 is familiar with the free Doddle service but I'm also willing to set it up if necessary ?

I'm afraid I'm not at all familiar with it.

What is it?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2014, 11:02:54 PM »

Im not familiar with it either, I think its this, but I havent sussed out how it would work.

If you want a poll then you can always start one on the forum if that helps and saves people from having to sign up to something.

In fact I think it may perhaps be best if I move the discussions about donations to the other thread, and keep this one the main thread clear for technical posts.

---
ETA - Thread now split and merged.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 11:15:48 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: [1] 2