Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: INPORTANT MyDSLWebStats Announcement  (Read 5809 times)

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
Re: INPORTANT MyDSLWebStats Announcement
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2014, 11:22:36 AM »

BE1

Its an online free survey tool. You can set up to 9 questions and provide a URL. The moderator can see all the answers the participants see only what the moderator allows. so we could have

1) do you use the service
2) would you contribute
3) how much (multiple choice)

ETC, would give good feedback.

Have a look at http://doodle.com/en_GB/

I use it a lot its very useful

Tony
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2014, 12:52:17 PM »

Of course I'm talking rubbish here I mean the survey, not scheduling service which is here

https://www.surveymonkey.com/mp/online-polls/
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

tbailey2

• Kitizen
Re: IMPORTANT MyDSLWebStats Announcement
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2014, 01:33:10 PM »

HI

Sorry for no response so far but I'm trying to earn some money at the moment as well as looking at something you'll see below...

Couple of quick comments. Re a 'survey' I have no intention whatsoever of turning MDWS into any form of 'subscription' service as it then puts me under all sorts of obligation I just do not want and I get stressed easily unfortunately  - as I learnt 10 years ago when I ended up very ill  - but thanks for the thoughts and the various PMs.

When I started the project in July I had no idea what would happen of course. Okay it works and runs fine now and I imagine quite a few people are now relying on it and there is some useful data to be had and that's what was intended.  I had hoped though that donations would be higher and voluntary without much prodding....

The cost of the server is mostly in the fact that it is fully Managed as Kitz remarked and I agree that the cost is pretty much the rate if you look around in the UK (and I can't recover the VAT either) - if it crashes or there's a problem I can't work out, I get helpful advice or it generally gets fixed literally in minutes of reporting it sometimes. It's fully backed up every night at 01:00 (as most of you are aware!).

The £21 server is similar in spec and has been fully running without any uploads for a week now but it's showing signs of being stressed just running the background processes (I suspect the are more instances of the VPS on the physical server). It's of course NOT managed (other than the hardware) and I am not a server manager I'm afraid. So if it went down it could be down for days while it's resurrected from the latest backup and so on - or I might just give up...

I would like to get everything to a state where it doesn't need much attention, I think most of the graphs etc needed are there along with other facilities.

Anyway thanks to those who have donated or have promised to do so if needs be  :) There is nearly enough in the kitty to fund another month now on the current server and we might just need that....

THE GOOD NEWS is that I have a pending offer of free hosting from a major well-known service provider with possible expansion of facilities as needed! Still waiting to get an agreement on various things but I'll post here as soon as there is an answer one way or the other. This will need another month of the current server to do this comfortably. If this is on then the changeover planned for Sunday coming will NOT happen and things will carry on as they are for a few weeks at least.

Please keep watching for more news.....
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2014, 01:37:33 PM »

can I ask what was wrong with my offer?

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2014, 02:38:37 PM »

can I ask what was wrong with my offer?

If you want yes but I can't say I actually saw it until today I'm afraid. A few hours ago was the first time I've looked at this thread since I posted the announcement due to other work....

Can you give me some examples of other sites you host please? Is it fully managed? The current offer I have (via a PM) is and might already be available but I haven't heard yet...
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 03:45:22 PM by tbailey2 »
Tony
My Books!

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2014, 10:45:53 PM »

its managed by myself.

There is only a few sites on there, none are heavy if fact traffic is almost 0, I actually mainly use the server now for monitoring other servers, but it is configured for web hosting with a control panel.

If you already got an offer you happy with tho I suggest take it, I can be just a backup if it doesnt work out.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2014, 12:01:16 AM »

Excellent news TB2 either way you go MDWS is fantastic and this is coming from a skeptical person, you have done a great job here.

PS I know only to well what stress can do to the head, I am slowly recovering myself since 1998 yet it's still with me you get good days and bad days but there never as bad as the very 1st day  ;)

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2014, 07:54:59 AM »

Just a note that the Server move scheduled for tomorrow, 16th November, will NOT now take place until the hosting is sorted out and available. The service will continue running on the current machinery until further notice.

Thanks to all those who donated that have enabled this to carry on.
Tony
My Books!
Pages: 1 [2]