Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: DSL stats error reported in the Event log  (Read 5025 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
DSL stats error reported in the Event log
« on: November 09, 2014, 01:29:06 PM »

Eric

I seem to have rather a lot of these in DSLstats event log, that Ive never seen before..  any idea what they mean?

Code: [Select]
09 Nov 2014 10:40:39 Auto snapshots taken
09 Nov 2014 11:56:39 Error running the HG622 workaround
09 Nov 2014 11:56:39 Unknown Event
09 Nov 2014 11:57:39 Error running the HG622 workaround
09 Nov 2014 11:57:39 Unknown Event
09 Nov 2014 11:58:39 Error running the HG622 workaround

The router seems to have locked up and I couldnt get in to the GUI although I did still have a valid internet session. 

From what I can see, I think HG612 modem stats may still have seemed to be able to obtain stats up until this time too, although the only error message for HG612 modem stats I can see is

09/11/2014 12:18:00.41 - ONGOING-ISRUNNING-121800-041.TXT - ** Exiting as there are 2 instances of [HG612_stats.exe] running. Status = 1,
09/11/2014 12:18:00.43 - ONGOING-ISRUNNING-121800-041.TXT - ** ONGOING-ISRUNNING-121800-041.TXT DELETED - Status = 1,

09/11/2014 12:46:07.761 - Start of [GRAPH6.exe] - version 4.0.0.0 28/08/2014
09/11/2014 12:46:07.761 - The Plink log being used came from a RESYNC or SCHEDULED event, so any pauses were disabled

That was me rebooting the router in an attempt to get back into the GUI ^^
I dont have extensive logging enabled.

Ive just run a manual 13hr GraphPD in HG612 modem stats and it looks like my SNRm was still moving slightly up until 12:15ish.  I cant tell for sure, but things were still moving for sure and recording normally at 11:50 ish Edit - It shows clearer on MDWS -  HG612 logging actually stopped at 11:57

I installed some new f/w on the router yesterday, normally I would have just classed it as one of those things - but I notice the same thing has also happened to Ronski this morning too, so wondering if they could have changed something that perhaps locks up the GUI for an invalid attempt?

---
ETA
Link to other thread
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=13930.msg273955#msg273955
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 01:48:44 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: DSL stats error reported in the Event log
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 03:35:22 PM »

That message in DSLstats means that it tried to login to the telnet interface, which failed to respond properly within one second, so it tried the HG622 workaround and this also failed. It's really a false error message - it should really say "Unable to login". In the next release I'll be dumping the HG622 autodetection code, and simply making it a manual user option, to avoid these rather confusing messages.

It certainly looks as though something has changed in the login arrangements with this new firmware. I guess that the only way to get to the bottom of it would be to login manually to the telnet interface and see what happens after a login failure (wrong username, for example).
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 03:58:42 PM »

Eric I noted on Kitz other thread that I also see that error with the earlier firmware on my F1000, today it was when I unplugged the DSL cable to try my HG635 from TalkTalk. I have also seen it other times as well. I dont see the other problem they have with the interface hanging.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 04:46:29 PM »

Yes Stuart, for some reason the HG622 has been a problem ever since I started using the faster networking library. I've been aware of these false positives in the autodetection code, and decided that it's better to do without the autodetection.

Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 10:21:37 PM »

Ah.  Thank you for the explanation.  The wording threw me a little. If it happens again I shall try telnet to see what that throws up.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 12:32:10 AM »

kitz I see zyxel is still problematic then, I think I made the right choice sticking with the billion, lets hope they finally make a bug free firmware.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 03:17:25 PM »

tbh I think thats a bit unfair.   

I personally have found the Zyxel very stable and it works better on my line than the HG612 or the lantiqs.  I'd not seen the lockup issue until installing the new firmware and touch wood its not done it again since.   Im quite happy to admit when something is wrong with the f/w, but at the end of the day - for me and quite a few others - the Zyxel does work well.  To be sure I wouldnt be using it if it was rubbish..  I have others that I can put on the line. 

I think there are bugs that still need to be ironed out in just about all the vdsl modem/routers.   For eg TPlink is now relatively stable, but performance wise it isnt a patch on the Zyxel.. and if TPLink had released their vdsl router to the public in the same state as I got it then there would have been one heck of a lot of unhappy users.   To their credit TPlink at least listened and corrected issues.. and even made a short delay in the release date until I'd confirmed it was stable.
-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 02:29:03 AM »

not saying its rubbish just the firmware seems a bit volatile and shaky.

From where I sit it seems its a product brought to market before its ready.

also really it should be judged on the publicly available firmware, as all these beta ones it seems customers have to ask for as there is no stable download link available for them on their website.

Bugs like ppp not reconnecting without manual intervention, gui ceasing working and port forwarding stopping on a resync are worse than your average router bug.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 04:35:48 PM »

Someone today has kindly posted a link for the latest f/w and changelog thats held on the official Zyxel (.it) site

What is interesting is this as being listed in the new v6 firmware that both me and ronski updated to.

[FEATURE MODIFIED]
1. [Telnet]
Limit the telnet session to one session.

Could this have been the cause of the lockup - I already observed above that HG612 modem stats reported "2 instances of [HG612_stats.exe] running" at about the time that access to the GUI and also telnet crashed.
-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 04:45:09 PM »

I remember replying to this, on another thread?

kitz that change is from b2, wasnt that the one you used fine for many weeks?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 05:10:47 PM »

No.. I didnt update to 6b2 and skipped anything afer 6b1, only installing 6b4 last weekend.

I'd left it mine at V100AAKL6b1 for ages because it was stable and I was happy with it - see my note on the front of the f/w page. I also never installed 6b2 because that was released at the time of BT messing with my line and being hit by the DLM  I said somewhere in the thread that I wasnt going to bother updating to 6b2.

I went straight from 6b1 to 6b4.  I only really installed 6b4 because I wanted to see if it made any difference to my error rates which some one else had reported.

afaik V100AAKL6b1 was also the version that ronski had also previously been using which supposedly included the fix for port forwarding as thats the version he shared with me and I mirrored.

>> ppp not reconnecting without manual intervention <<

Definitely not ever seen that happen to me on any of the versions Ive used.  PPP has always come straight back up on its own and you know how often I will have had that happen over the past few months with whats been happening to the BNGs  ::)
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2014, 04:23:01 PM »

Mines locked up again..  and so has Simons, looking more likely that it may be something to do with the one telnet session. :(

-----

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2015, 12:38:09 AM »

I was getting 'Unable to login' messages & timeouts in the Event log of DSLstats Version 5.4 with firmware V1.00(AAKL.6)b1 & V1.00(AAKL.7)C0 on the Zyxel VMG8324-B10A.
I accepted this due to the conclusion reached in this thread. (Could not afford to re-boot the router again  :( due to DLM Hell)

I moved back to Version 5.2, due to a 'Floating point error' problem, and I am not getting 'Unable to login' messages or 'time outs' when stats are being read from my router (Zyxel VMG8324-B10A).
The latest firmware V1.00(AAKL.7)C0 still has the max number of Telnet sessions set to 1. (According to the Release Notes).
My current DSLstats event log does not have any error messages (Log is 24+ hours long).

I think this may indicate the Telnet session limit may not be the problem.
Please could someone else test and confirm/deny the result I got.

TIA

AArdvark
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 12:53:04 AM by AArdvark »

anything