Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Slow BT Total BroadBand Speed ALL HELP WELCOME !!  (Read 46397 times)

Broadband1

• Reg Member
Re: Slow BT Total BroadBand Speed ALL HELP WELCOME !!
« Reply #105 on: February 13, 2008, 04:22:29 PM »

well my line has dropped to 576 Down and 288 up.

Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 3:36:50

Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 224 / 576

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [KB/MB]: 958.00 / 5.02

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 15.5

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 10.0 / 19.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 26.0 / 35.5

Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 100 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): 0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 621 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 104

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 37

Well basically im about to give up with BT maybe with broadband all together and get Dial-up or ISDN for that matter.  :wall:

Well im off for a  :drink:

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #106 on: February 13, 2008, 08:08:49 PM »

well my line has dropped to 576 Down and 288 up.

Are those the speeds for a non-Max 512 connection?
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #107 on: February 13, 2008, 08:12:20 PM »

nope Upto 8mbps ADSL not SDSL

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #108 on: February 13, 2008, 11:35:22 PM »

Broadband1

Just been reading through this thread, I'm gonna say a couple of things that may help you get somewhere with BT, and help you understand the situation a bit better.

- Your ISP i.e BT Internet, have placed no restriction on your line. This has happened automatically because your line had too many faults. So the helpdesk are correct when they say they have placed no restriction on you. The only restriction BT Internet could place on you is to limit the speed you download stuff at. This is TOTALLY unrelated to your sync speed, which is the speed at which you connect to the DSLAM in the phone exchange.

- BT Wholesale are the company that are responsible for implementing the MaxDSL network. Your fault is with your PHYSICAL line rather than something an ISP can control.

- You've tried the test socket and it's no better - I don't quite understand why your uptime was just 18 minutes in your screenshot when you'd supposedly tried it for 24 hours though. The SNR was terrible, so obviously things aren't right at all.

- Therefore, you need to call BT's THD and get them to book an engineer to come round and have a look. I really think we've exhausted all suggestions to test your own equipment etc - it obviously needs someone to fix whatever the physical fault is on your line. The other stuff had to be eliminated first otherwise if an engineer finds it's something wrong with your equipment or internal wiring, you will be charged quite a lot for wasting his time. - just as a warning to you.

So say to BT something like "I've rung up many many times before, I am confident that there is a problem with my line and please would you get an engineer to visit my property as I have tried everything including a different router and in the master socket." When you get warned that the engineer might cost you money if he finds nothing wrong, say yes that's fine I accept that.

Let us know how you get on :)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 11:40:19 PM by mr_chris »
Chris

J.Man

• Reg Member
  • When PC's couldnt get any worse there came Vista
« Reply #109 on: February 14, 2008, 05:41:55 PM »

Hi i see my neighbour has been taking up this issue with you guys you may notice my IP is the same as his well probably because BT have messed up my connection. Nearly everyone on my street has been dropped to 500k maybe its just bad luck i've seen everyones internet all our Line Attenuations are between 19db at the front of the street to 27 right down the back. From what i've seen in this thread those are pretty good so maybe BT is at fault just for the record im on BT as well.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #110 on: February 14, 2008, 06:00:53 PM »

Hiya J.Man, welcome aboard.

A line attenuation of below 30dB is generally considered to be quite a short line. Therefore you should be getting a steady, good, 8Mb sync.

I am completely baffled by what's going on with this, can I ask you if your attenuation varies at all? Or does it remain constant?

This problem isn't going to go away without a BT engineer visiting to see what's going wrong somewhere. If your sync speed has dropped to 500k, you need to contact BT and get them to send an engineer to you too

Please note, sync speed is the connection speed reported by your modem/router, and is, as far as this fault is concerned, ENTIRELY unrelated to your IP profile.

>> you may notice my IP is the same as his

Hmm, that wouldn't happen, at all, unless you were both physically on the same Internet connection. Stuff like IP addresses messing up would be affecting either a very large number of BT Internet users, or none at all.

Like I said, the issue appears to be with the lines themselves, perhaps a bad underground/overground cable somewhere that's common to your street - maybe one feeding a cab or something.

So J.Man, everyone who's line sync has dropped to 500k in your street needs to contact their ISPs to get it sorted. Before you do, just make sure that you have followed some basic troubleshooting - mainly try the connection in the test socket, behind the master faceplate, and see if you still sync at 512k, and if your attenuation still fluctuates (if applicable).

This is to avoid a red face and being out of pocket if an engineer turns up and says it's a problem with your equipment, which I doubt, judging by what I've read in this thread.

But as I said, there's not a lot more we can help with, it needs an engineer to sort it. If it really is as bad as Broadband1 has been telling us (and I have no reason to doubt that), then an engineer should come round, and easily spot the problem.

So when you ring BT you say your attenuation is *blah* your SNR is *blah* and your downstream/upstream sync speeds are *blah*. You should probably mention that a lot of your neighbours, some who are also with BT, are having the exact same problem, and specifically request an engineer comes to look at it.

Good luck :)
Chris

J.Man

• Reg Member
  • When PC's couldnt get any worse there came Vista
« Reply #111 on: February 14, 2008, 06:31:20 PM »

Well i requested an Engineer but BT India keep pointing me towards the FUP number even though me and "Broadband1" have never breached the 5Gb allowance as we kinda have an agreement. and both are Line attenuation vary i know this as a consistantly check my line stats like every 3-4 hours and as "Broadband1" said previously we both used to recieve about 6-7mbps on rainy days.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #112 on: February 15, 2008, 12:32:54 AM »

Hiya, you need to re-request an engineer, but firmer this time. If you're within the fair usage limits then don't accept it when they tell you about the FUP, as this is nothing to do with sync speed, as I keep saying.

If you're firm and polite enough, and tell the helpdesk that you've done the tests like I have said a few times in this thread, they will send an engineer no problems.
Chris

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #113 on: February 15, 2008, 04:32:52 PM »

Just one last question on Tuesday I called BT about my line after 30mins the guy said that after the call I should wait 3-4 days for my line to stabilise soo latest is Saturday but this is day 3 but only difference I see is more errors and higher Connection times :( is that a good or bad sign

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #114 on: February 15, 2008, 07:01:46 PM »

>> I should wait 3-4 days for my line to stabilise

Im sure youve been there - done that before.

Please note that as been mentioned before several times...  the speed that you sync at and the throughput speed at totally different.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #115 on: February 16, 2008, 03:46:38 PM »

This topic has kinda ended up going round in circles and the same questions keep being asked and answered. For this reason, and also due to its length, its usefulness has dwindled, so I'm locking it.

Broadband1 and JMan, if you have any new queries / anything to report, please feel free to start a new topic :)
Chris
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

anything