Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Slow BT Total BroadBand Speed ALL HELP WELCOME !!  (Read 46506 times)

Broadband1

• Reg Member
Re: Slow BT Total BroadBand Speed ALL HELP WELCOME !!
« Reply #90 on: February 07, 2008, 10:13:20 PM »

Yeah i have i tried my Neighbours Router and it was the same Stats 26.0db Attenuation rises at night for some reason and 35.5db SNR

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #91 on: February 07, 2008, 10:16:46 PM »

>> but have been limited, NOT BY BT retail i.e. your ISP, but by BT wholesale's automatic system, known as "DLM"

Without a doubt - see the RAG test result.
Its a rate limited MAX account - but shouldnt be because of the line length.

BT (the ISP) seem to be ignoring this :/

broadband1

Have you told your ISP all those facts that I point bulleted out to you.
They need to be told.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #92 on: February 07, 2008, 10:18:03 PM »

Cheers for that... so the next thing is to leave the router plugged into the test socket as described in the previous post, then let us know what it does :)

Kitz... probably best to do the test socket test for an extended time frame. No point getting the line reset if it's still got problems, really. He'll just be back to square one then :(
Chris

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #93 on: February 07, 2008, 10:22:12 PM »

yes Kitz i have pointed out those facts you bullet pointed and all the have to say is are you sure the broadband cable is in. (which is fairly retarded as a question as im using the Broadband phone)

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #94 on: February 07, 2008, 10:23:50 PM »

You're using the broadband phone... actually just a thought.. is your normal landline ok?
Chris

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #95 on: February 07, 2008, 10:30:22 PM »

my landline is fine i just use my broadband phone because its free and doesnt raise my Attenuation :P

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #96 on: February 07, 2008, 10:37:36 PM »

The usual has happened my Line Attenuation has risen and SNR Fallen

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #97 on: February 08, 2008, 06:07:31 PM »

The difference in attenuation your getting is very odd, one of the following could be a cause.

Corroded RF2 filter.
this is something fitted bfore your master socket. Intended to reduce any pick up of backround radio on normal voice. (overhearing radio 5live during a conversation on the phone)
If you have an rf2 then you shouldn;t get any dsl sync at all, unless your very close to the exchange or the rf2 is corroded & letting some dsl slip through. If you have an rf2 then it's a case of caontacting your isp to get a engineer out to replace it with an rf3 which was designed after dsl was invented and lets the dsl go through unimpeded.
How to find out if you have one, this will be a small white box about the size of a matchbox before the master socket maked bt. 19 times out of 20 such a box is purely a connection box. If you take off the lid (carefully this is a bt owned item, disturb anything then it is a chargable visit to fix). Unless a cable is obscuring it then inside you'll possibly see rf2 printed. and an rf2 has 2 small black cylenders about 4-5mm dia 6-8mm high. (an rf3 would have an 8mm square block with a visible copper coil within).

Ring looped internal wiring.
Rather than your internal wiring from the master socket just going off to your extention sockets. this cable carrys on retuning back to the master socket. so your dsl signal splits off & meets itself comming back the other way causeing "Reflections" so causing alsorts of issues with the dsl signal quality. Can you disconnect a cable from the master socket with all the extention sockets still working. this usually means a weekend with a screwdriver & sore knees.

Is your property fed by an overhead cable, follow the cable from the master socket to the outside of the property. is part all of the remaining cable back to the pole a grey cable which looks like 2 wires bonded together (don't mess about with this cable, mainly in case you've got hold of a mains voltage cable instead of your telephony)

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #98 on: February 08, 2008, 07:21:38 PM »

i'm not sure if this can be but there is no boxes all there is really are just multi-coulored wires and a test socket and the wires lead off into the wall :(

I think my line has stablized as my Attenuation was stable all through the night.

And my phonel= line is fed through underground but doesnt take the direct route to the exchange.

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #99 on: February 08, 2008, 07:29:03 PM »

Don't worry about no boxes, it's normal and at least it's eliminated one potental cause. And if your fed underground that eliminates any possible issues with a possible fault in the drop wire. 

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #100 on: February 08, 2008, 08:14:42 PM »

ok i have completed my 24hour observation of my line using the TEST Socket  my attenuation has been consistant as shown below:

Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 0:18:54

Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 288 / 576

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [KB/MB]: 518.00 / 1.74

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 17.0

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 31.5 / 46.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 9.0 / 4.5

Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 3 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): 0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 39 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 3

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

I have moved my DSL back to the normal phone line not the TEST Socket and my Attenuation automatically dropped down to 26.0db
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 08:51:34 PM by Broadband1 »

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #101 on: February 09, 2008, 05:35:01 PM »

I called BT an they say no restriction as usual classic BT not to take the blame isn't it

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #102 on: February 10, 2008, 03:04:04 PM »

Its not the ISP thats limiting your connection speed to 576...  its the MAXdsl system...  and if your ISP had a clue and actually understood the facts that I told you to outline to them... then they would know where to look to lift the restriction.

All you can do is keep repeating those facts to them outlined above..  and hope that at some point it actually gets through to someone who has half an idea of how adsl works.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #103 on: February 12, 2008, 08:16:04 PM »

The Final Battle of Me "Broadband1" ( V ) Them "BT" :

At last they say something is being done. they have removed the restriction and my line is syncing at 632kbps (getting better).

Before I leave i would like to say thankyou to Ezzer, Kitz, and Roseway for their fantastically detailed help :)  may technology bless you in the future :P

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #104 on: February 12, 2008, 09:07:11 PM »

>> they have removed the restriction and my line is syncing at 632kbps (getting better)

Thats not that much better - can you post your full line stats again
and are you still connected at the master socket?

Are you sure its showing 632 because thats not a valid sync speed?
- --- Unless thats 632 KB/Sec which is 5056 kbps - which is a valid sync speed and a fraction away from 5Mbps.
-----
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

anything