Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Slow BT Total BroadBand Speed ALL HELP WELCOME !!  (Read 46513 times)

Broadband1

• Reg Member
Re: Slow BT Total BroadBand Speed ALL HELP WELCOME !!
« Reply #75 on: February 06, 2008, 10:17:24 PM »

in the day (3am-10pm) my Line Attenuation is Low and SNR is High then in the Evening (After 10pm - about 3am) to find those out i missed a whole day of college

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #76 on: February 06, 2008, 10:19:33 PM »

Honestly are you psycic you got my RAG Number right  :)

adsl 1 linecode : RGEC
dslmax linecode: REGEGEC
sdsl linecode: 1111GGGGZZZZEEEE

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2008, 10:21:42 PM »

*correction to post 75 (i think tahts the one)*

In the day (3am-10pm) my Line Attenuation is Low and SNR Margin is High then in the Evening (After 10pm - about 3am) It is the opposite i think you can work out the opposite :D to find those out i missed a whole day of college

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #78 on: February 06, 2008, 11:01:16 PM »

Here we go Attenuation just jumped from 26db to 50db and can Street Lights affect Attenuation

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #79 on: February 07, 2008, 12:04:09 AM »

Nothing should really affect your line attenuation. Attenuation is the loss in POWER of the signal between the exchange and your equipment. This is different to the SNR - Signal to Noise Ratio - which is a measure of how much signal is present compared to the amount of electrical interference, or noise.

If your attenuation is fluctuating as much as it is, then there is definitely something VERY wrong with your phone line or your internal wiring. I notice very early on Kitz asked you to try your router plugged into the test socket behind the master socket. If you don't know what this is, there is a diagram on this page -> http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/troubleshooting.htm

What this will do is eliminate all your internal wiring, so you can see if the line becomes more stable which would then indicate that one or more of your extensions is probably to blame.

If that doesn't work, try a different router if you possibly can, as the one you've got might even be faulty.
Chris

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #80 on: February 07, 2008, 03:51:49 PM »

Chris thanks mate i have just tried that for 4hours and my attenuation went from the Daytime usual of 26db to 25.5db  :P

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #81 on: February 07, 2008, 03:58:06 PM »

It wouldn't be expected to change the attenuation. The question is whether it improves the stability of the connection, i.e. reduces or eliminates the re-syncs.
  Eric

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #82 on: February 07, 2008, 04:07:29 PM »

ok i just called BT they think it might be that i over used my Download Limit and the lady said its not likely as last time i over ran it was in May of 2007

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #83 on: February 07, 2008, 04:14:20 PM »

I have supposedly used 2.86GB even though my hub stats dont show it :( and my download monitor that shows Even P2P downloads and Microsoft updates only shows 0.9GB so who should i trust BT or my independant checker.

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #84 on: February 07, 2008, 04:29:06 PM »

By the Way would DMT change anything or would i waste my time and in that llast post apparently the 2.86GB is how much data has passed through my Line eg. Web surfing, emails. i have actually only downloaded 0.9GB :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #85 on: February 07, 2008, 04:52:18 PM »

Your usage includes all data transferred (and may include uploads as well, but I'm not sure if BT include this). This is the same with all ISPs.

I don't think that DMT is going to be any help in your situation.
  Eric

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #86 on: February 07, 2008, 04:56:31 PM »

ok thanks for that and I only suggested DMT as i see so many people using it to get higher speed

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #87 on: February 07, 2008, 09:15:00 PM »

i have just tried that for 4hours and my attenuation went from the Daytime usual of 26db to 25.5db 

Did it stay around 25.5 or did it go back up to 50-something again?

Leave it in the test socket if you can for a longer time and see what happens. If it stays stable, then the problem is with your internal wiring. You could plug a phone into the filter too so you weren't without a telephone for all that time, you would just be without the extensions. This is important to know, as BT would charge you an arm and a leg if they came to your house and discovered it was your internal wiring at fault!

ok i just called BT they think it might be that i over used my Download Limit and the lady said its not likely as last time i over ran it was in May of 2007

That's a stupid answer from BT - there's nothing your ISP can do that will affect your attenuation or connection stability - this is purely down to either your phone line, extension wiring, faulty exchange equipment or your router. We're trying to eliminate all of the ones you can control!

I have supposedly used 2.86GB even though my hub stats dont show it  and my download monitor that shows Even P2P downloads and Microsoft updates only shows 0.9GB so who should i trust BT or my independant checker.....
.... apparently the 2.86GB is how much data has passed through my Line eg. Web surfing, emails. i have actually only downloaded 0.9GB

All data passing through your connection counts, unfortunately, whether it's downloading files, emails, web pages, etc...

Your hub stats will probably only show total since it was last reset, I don't know how the hub monitors your usage.

By the Way would DMT change anything

DMT is only useful if you have a stable connection to start with. You need to sort this out first before even thinking about using the DMT tool. It can't perform miracles! If you use it to get a higher speed, your line needs to be ULTRA stable. And in this case you wouldn't get a higher speed anyway, because your line is fixed at 512k.

Can I try and explain something which you seem to be confusing?

Very basically, ADSL works in 2 stages:

1. The part between you and the exchange, which is nothing whatsoever to do with which ISP you're with*
2. The part the ISP controls e.g. limiting your speeds if you go over download limits etc.

* Applies to all ISPs who use BT Wholesale i.e. most of them, apart from the LLU ones, which doesn't concern you since you're with BT.

You are having probs with number 1. The ISP CANNOT limit your SYNC speed or control if your connection is totally dropping (resyncing).

We need to try and sort this out for ya - please can you carefully answer the following questions for me? Cheers :)

• How long have you been with BT Internet
  • Have you EVER connected faster than 512k?
  • Before you were with BT, did you have ADSL before - if so who were you with? And what speed did you get?

Thanks - this may help us identify more what's going on and the course of action to take.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 09:22:08 PM by mr_chris »
Chris

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #88 on: February 07, 2008, 09:53:06 PM »

I have been with BT since April of 2007
In the beggining i was syncing at the full 8128kbps then it dropped a month later due to 512k Kicking in :(
Umm before BT I was on dial-up from AOL .

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #89 on: February 07, 2008, 10:07:25 PM »

OK, so from that, it looks like Kitz's assumption was right, you are on a MaxDSL (up to 8Mb) line... but have been limited, NOT BY BT retail i.e. your ISP, but by BT wholesale's automatic system, known as "DLM"

It's probably because you had a severe problem on your phone line and the DLM reduced you to 512k in order to attempt to make your connection more stable.

You should now leave the router in the master test socket for an extended period of time (24 hours or so) and monitor the SNR and attenuation as often as you can.

If you absolutely must have a phone connected too, you can plug ONE phone in to the phone socket on the filter, but double-check that this isn't affecting your SNR/attenuation when you do. The idea is to eliminate as much of your house wiring as possible to prove the problem is with your line or the exchange.

By the way, I asked before but you didn't seem to notice that bit... have you managed to try another router yet?
Chris
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8