Broadband Related > ADSL Issues

Speed reduction accompanied by brief service interruption

(1/3) > >>

hake:
My SmartAX MT882 seems to work well.  It typically synchs at a respectable 4.5mbps.  However, the speed dips during the day, especially late afternoon.  I have noticed that a brief interruption in service seems to take place coincident with the speed drop.  The router attempts to reconnect with almost invariable success.  I hasten to add that the service interruptions are very infrequent and only momentary.

I have attached an image which shows my essential ADSL information (snapshot taken at 10am).  I would expect to be down to 3.5mbps by teatime.  I switch off at night when I have done with the Internet.  Booting the router the following morning will bring speed back up to 4.5mbps, sometimes as high as 5mbps.

For those who cannot see the image, the important data is as follows: -
Bandwidth: 4640kbps (down), 448kbps (up)
SNR: 16db (down), 11db (up)
Attenuation: 39db (down), 22db (up)

The MT882 synchs at and holds a higher speed than a Solwise SAR130 which, after synching at 3.7mbps, quickly drops to 2.5mbps.  This would sugest that the performance of the MT882 is superior to that of the SAR130.  I have two of each and this observation applies to either example of each type.

I am 1.28 miles from the telephone exchange and the equipment is probably supplied by BT Wholesale (I am a PlusNet customer).  When the exchange was first MaxADSL-enabled in April 2006, I synched at 6mbps with the Solwise SAR130 (sometimes 6.3mbps) which was sustained for long periods.  After 6 months, I noticed that the speed had started to fall and it quickly reduced to 4.5mbps and then further to 3.5mbps as the teatime effect took effect.  The very same SAR130 manages a sustained 6.4mbps at a friend's house (1 mile from a different exchange using TalkTalk LLU).

I tried a ADSL Nation faceplate and got a speed of 5.5mbps but my house telephone wiring caused a problem (the voice phones would not work) and I had to restore the 1988 BT supplied faceplate.

[attachment deleted by admin]

MikeS:
Hi

It sounds like a similar isue to the one I had (Thread - large noise margin drop in the afternoon) . In my case what was happening was that my line was good until around 3-4pm when it would start to get increasingly noisy.  The increasing noise levels would eventually force a resync, and the sync speed would drop, by anything from 500 to 1500, usually around 5pm ish, sometimes followed by further resyncs later in the evening.   The irritation for me was that the resyncs caused my IP profile to be reduced, so that my actual download speed became pathetic.  Has your IP profile been affected ?

Your late afternoon resync may be responsible for your momentary loss of service.  I see that your SNR margin is high, as was mine.  This may have been increased to stabilise what was seen as a noisy line by the DSLAM,   if this was the case it would explain why you used to sync at higher rates.

The solution for me, after BT had done what they could for my line, was to try several routers and pick the one that handled the noisy period the best. I plugged the router directly into a face plate splitter to avoid any internal wiring issues. Like you I used to switch my router off at night, which simply meant I was going through the same issue each day.  I now boot the router up during the noisy period and leave it on 24/7.  This does mean that your sync speed will be lower than that which you currently see in the morning but you should not get the resyncs.  If you are really lucky your SNR margin will be reduced to reflect the improved stability of your line, which means your sync speed will increase and may more than compensate for the loss.

roseway:
All I would add to that is that I rather suspect there's a problem with your internal wiring if there was a much better speed with a filtered faceplate but it stopped your phones working. What I suggest you do is check out the wiring properly and then try the filtered faceplate again.

But MikeS is certainly right in suggesting that you try different routers if you're able to do that. They definitely do vary quite widely in performance on less than perfect lines.

Ezzer:
With the newer face plate causing problems with voice comms in your extentions the following might prove wether the new face plate is at fault.

First of all, what was the problem when the new face plate was fitted ? One fault caused by internal wiring which is made worse with a DSL signal on the line is whats called a HR-Dis' The effect is you get dial tone in your extentions but when you dial a number you always get "Sorry that number has not been reconised" (if you have a phone which can pulse dial and you can succesfully dial a number then this confirms this particular fault).

The HR-Dis is a partial disconnection, 2 main causes: with the idc type of connections in our internal wiring (the type at the back of your nte face plate where you hold the wire over the slot & push it home with a small tool) there should be no more than 3 wires in any slot, any more then the 2 bits of metal which contact the copper in the wire spread too far apart to make a proper contact.   The second cause, when using the tool to terminate the wires, support the socket well in you hand or against something solid. When you push the tool in, keep it straight. If the toll vears over to one side then this will spread the contacts apart again preventing a full contact (there is a dodge around this but this is where too much knowlege is a dangerous thing) best bet, replace the socket.
  Whenever you terminate on your internal wiring, give each wire a gentle tug to make sure it's held well, same if your using a screw terminal type extention, when the insulation ahs been stripped back, this makes sure you havn't nicked the copper too much

Other wise if you can get hold of a short pair of telephone wires, the 0.5mm dia copper type you find within your internal cable (buy a meter of cable from a diy shop, should be less than a £)

terminate a pair on 2 & 5 at the back of the face plate & fit the plate back in your master socket the other end to be terminated on 2 & 5 on a spare extention socket (nab a known working socket from elsewere in the house as a tempory test piece, but before you disconnect the normal internal wiring double check what colour wire went where. internal wiring hasn't always got say blue with white ring wire in no.2 for instance. that way when you restore the extention socket it should work as before)

Try a phone in the ext socket, if it dosn't work, your face plate is faulty. Still got the recipt ?)

Good grief, I can waffle can't I

roseway:
There's nothing wrong with good advice, even if it does take a lot of words. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version