Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Openreach Huawei EchoLife HG612 3B  (Read 35797 times)

markbarabus

Re: Openreach Huawei EchoLife HG612 3B
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2014, 01:50:14 PM »

Just an update on my situation- i managed to get hold of a working draytek vigor 120 v2 and my connection to the router is now working. The strange thing is i didnt even need to use the pppoa/pppoe trick the vigor is known for as its in pppoe mode only. Seemed very stable, i had 3 days uptime with good sync speeds, low 20ms pings etc so was very happy with that. Only yesterday it started losing the wan ip again, not as often as the hg612 but enough to be annoying. Its in pppoa/pppoe mode today but i'm still having to reboot the modem every 3 hours or so for the modem to re-establish a wan ip. The only change here is we have strong winds and all the cabling is overhead so perhaps that could be causing disconnects? Will have to see if it stops when the wind calms down. Havent bothered to look at logs yet as theres a chance its just the wind.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 06:20:56 PM by markbarabus »

markbarabus

« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2014, 07:13:32 PM »

The weather has been nice and calm for a few days here now. Disconnects have stopped so it would appear to have been the wind however i have noticed that i have very high packet loss and pings whilst connected to the wnr2200 and vigor 120. My average ping is coming back as 50-200ms and i'm on fastpath so thats not good at all. Packet loss can be anything from 1-30%. My first thoughts was storm damage as i know BT had a few area outages last week due to the lightning and wind. However if i dig the ISP modem back out (home hub 4) my connection is perfect- 0% packet loss, 20ms pings so this would indicate my line being fine and no damage. Also, if i change out the vigor 120 for the HG612 i'm also seeing perfect results there. It only stays connected for a minute at a time due to the pppoe issue however so i'm unable to test for any length of time. So with those results you would think the vigor 120 is the problem but if i connect directly to the vigor 120 with a pc the connection is perfect. So once again i'm at a loss as to whats the problem. 3 modems and i'm still no closer to getting this perfect setup. I think its about time i got a new router just so i can rule out that being the problem. Any router suggestions? Id love something that supports ddwrt or tomato for long term but stability and good qos is my main concern here.

markbarabus

« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2014, 07:34:45 PM »

Something interesting- i just decided to try the wan port on the home hub 4. Connected to the vigor 120 it established a connection but showed the same packet loss symptons i have when connected to the wnr2200. So this pretty much tells me what ever router i use with the vigor 120 its going to have these issues. For the sake of testing i connected the HG612 to the wan port the same way and unbelievably it works with no connection drops or packet loss. I have no idea how its connecting as the home hub is all locked down but i presume its using pppoa otherwise it would drop connection like the wnr2200 over pppoe.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2014, 10:34:58 PM »

Sounds like your are having more luck with your connection that I'm having with mine, well done.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

markbarabus

« Reply #64 on: December 14, 2014, 11:40:12 PM »

I don't believe in luck :D. You're not with BT are you by any chance? Went through a similar situation that your having, took BT 6 months and 7 visits to get my line stable. At least i'm 99% sure its stable i just need to get a decent QoS capable router working so i can rule out these random latency spikes. My problem now is what do i buy next as that last test i did pretty much tells me what ever router i use the vigor 120 is going to drop packets and to my knowledge thats the only modem capable of connecting to a pppoe router over adsl as it has the magic pppoa trick. The HG612 is great but useless to me as it drops every minute over pppoe and cant do the pppoa trick like the vigor 120.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2014, 12:01:26 AM »

I'm working my contract out with Eclipse.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

pedro492

« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2014, 12:18:49 AM »

I'm working my contract out with Eclipse.

Sounds like sweating out a flu virus.  You must be very patient.  With FTTC available to order on your exchange, I would plump for the profligate path:  rescind that ADSL(1) contract, cough up any dues (but not without a fight), and then give Eclipse the bird.
ˇˇˇ no contestaré mensajes privados sobre temas que puedan tratarse en el foro !!!

markbarabus

« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2014, 07:33:47 PM »

Messed around with the vigor 120 some more and got it working. Had to flash a very specific firmware version 33201 and set it up in BRIDGED IP LLC mode. Any other setting and it just constantly dropped packets so for anyone else BRIDGED IP LLC is the way to go for BT ADSL lines. Its not perfect, drops sync every once in a while and no where near as good sync speeds as the HG612 gets but unless anyone has any suggestions on how i can get that working i think its a lost cause.

Also, i still have random packet loss when browsing the web and running tracerts on the same machine but maybe thats normal? If i leave the machine running tracerts at idle and browse from another machine it seems fine with no packet loss so its just when i'm browsing at the same time on that machine.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

anything