Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Openreach Huawei EchoLife HG612 3B  (Read 35735 times)

markbarabus

Re: Openreach Huawei EchoLife HG612 3B
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2014, 03:11:48 PM »

Okay i swear this modem seems to have a mind of its own. Had pretty much given up after trying just about everything, came back to it just a moment ago and i can get into it fine again? Reset with the 10 second thing just to be on the safe side and settings are all correct for ppoe modem side now. Setup my router to pass on the login info through PPOE and to serve DHCP but still no bloody internet! Maybe i should leave it plugged in for a while and see if the ai decides to give me internet  :D.

But seriously any ideas where i could be going wrong here? I've been over my settings atleast 10 times and i really cant see anything wrong. Screen of my router is here and i have the modem set exactly as in your screens Ian.

Thanks

HighBeta

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2014, 03:24:26 PM »

Just a thought...
Sometimes ddwrt's software needs a password to connect to PPPoE. (Some Draytek's also have the same issue on bt)
Try 1234 or 123456 in password  & double check the firewall rules.  DCHP server is usually unticked on the hg612
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 03:48:54 PM by HighBeta »

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2014, 03:59:14 PM »

Okay i swear this modem seems to have a mind of its own

Maybe...that's why is was sold.......try another :no: :no:

Ian

markbarabus

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2014, 06:51:10 PM »

Just a thought...
Sometimes ddwrt's software needs a password to connect to PPPoE. (Some Draytek's also have the same issue on bt)
Try 1234 or 123456 in password  & double check the firewall rules.  DCHP server is usually unticked on the hg612

Thanks i tried a password but no joy unfortunately. Also made sure the DHCP is unticked on the modem side as the router is handling DHCP so its not that either. I'm going to try directly connecting to the modem again tomorrow to see if i can get internet at all. It wasnt working the last time but i was getting line stats so obviously its syncing to something...

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2014, 10:10:37 PM »

Nearly forgot this post I made a few weeks ago http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=14594.msg272722#msg272722

I have been using my unlocked HG612 as a modem only on my post office (talk talk non LLU) ADSL connection for several months, and earlier this week after maintanance on the line http://status.zen.co.uk/broadband/outages.aspx?number=01437 the modem was in sync (it had not even dropped it) but the pppoe connection was unable to connect.

After checking the line could sync if a router was used in pppoa mode I decided to configure the HG612 as a router using the settings shown in the attachments below.

Something to think about.
Ian

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2014, 10:59:40 PM »

I'm finding the same as you, Change some settings and it locks you out and a 're-set' puts if back to the default setting and you have to start again, I cannot get it in to bridge mode or setting up my static ip's.
I had dsl up but No internet. >:D
There are that many settings it's confusing  :'(
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2014, 02:28:44 AM »

I'm finding the same as you, Change some settings and it locks you out and a 're-set' puts if back to the default setting and you have to start again, I cannot get it in to bridge mode or setting up my static ip's.
I had dsl up but No internet. >:D
There are that many settings it's confusing  :'(

why don't you leave it as default and add your static ips as aliases on smoothwall's ffc mod?

markbarabus

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2014, 02:17:43 PM »

Well i sort of got it working after much determination. Not sure why but i had to change the modulation from VC MUX to LLC to get a connection. It just wouldnt connect with VC MUX ENABLED and kept telling me PPP connection failed in logs. No idea why this is as everything i have read seems to suggest it should be VC MUX but it wont connect?

So i got it working with LLC but heres the thing it keeps dropping internet connection every few minutes. I've configured the HG612 as the bridge and firewall, everything else off and my router with DDWRT is handling everything else. I never had this problem on my previous setup with the HH4 so not sure what could be wrong?

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2014, 04:16:01 PM »

I've configured the HG612 as the bridge

Can you say how you did that please, what firmware is it.?

Have you seen my last post.
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=14626.msg273783#msg273783
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

markbarabus

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2014, 05:30:56 PM »

I got the PPOE bridge working by following Ian's instructions but instead of selecting VCMUX i had to change it to LLC in order to get a connection. Screens are below for reference. Other than disabling NAT and QoS in advanced everything else was left at default. I think i may have also deleted one of the default WAN connections under BASIC>WAN.

Note:DHCP transmission doesnt need to be ticked i was just trialing this to see if it would stop my disconnects and it didnt so you dont need to tick this.

Unfortunately its no good though as my broadband is constantly dropping roughly ever minute so i'm back on my HH4 now with the DDWRT router attached. I'll probably try some different DDWRT firmware when i get chance as theres still the possibility of the router being the problem but to me it almost certainly looks like the HG612 is the problem. I've got a second HG612 on the way so i'll also give that one a try just incase this one is faulty.

Btw I'm using the August H-Wolf build stickied in the forum, is there a later version available that i can try? Ian i noticed you mentioned latest but your link takes me to the same H-Wolf one i'm using?

Id be interested to see if you get the bridge working tickmike and if you experience the same problem with connection dropping.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 05:35:14 PM by markbarabus »

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2014, 07:40:45 PM »

is there a later version available that i can try? Ian i noticed you mentioned latest but your link takes me to the same H-Wolf one i'm using?

I have found only the earlier version on the mega site https://mega.co.nz/#F!LdJFDIJL!e_E1twsIg2kTet8mPjrb4w(in folder B030SP06) can the hg612 be used as a router .....bridge mode use either version.

I have never had trouble with being "locked out"??

Ian

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2014, 09:00:06 PM »

Can anyone with a spare HG612 Un-lock>Reset>get to this default screen above then try just ticking the LAN2 box and then 'Submit' and tell me what happens please.

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2014, 09:06:49 PM »

my informed/educated guess.........you will get locked out.....port mapping means that the pppoe is "mapped to that port" you will be unable to access the web interface.......

:( :-[

Ian

markbarabus

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2014, 09:55:46 PM »

I already tried that tickmike and yeah its not a pretty result, you will get locked out and have to do a hard reset. As i understand it lan2 is your only access into the web interface so if you set both ports to the wan your going to lose access.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2014, 10:10:28 PM »

So you are saying that you can only use LAN1 to  your network once you have set it up via  LAN2 ?. :hmm:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

anything