Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: leaving your PC on 24/7  (Read 26554 times)

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: leaving your PC on 24/7
« Reply #90 on: October 30, 2014, 07:13:19 PM »

Maybe, maybe not...
We have a number of CFL bulbs, mostly in what you might call "utility" or "background" situations, e.g. hall/landing/utility room and central lights in some rooms that have other lighting.

They are so awful at warming up that there is a significant temptation to just leave them on unless you know for sure you're leaving that room for many hours.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #91 on: October 30, 2014, 08:44:34 PM »

So if I have a 20W CFL and a 100W bulb, does the CFL use less units of my electricity than the 100W bulb?

Yes, the CFL will probably reduce metered units.

But if reducing metered units is all that matters to you, and we are going to overlook all the other issues discussed in this thread, I have another suggestion...

...Replace all your light bulbs with battery operated LED camping lamps, and arrange a regular bulk daily delivery of environmentally evil alkaline batteries, and a daily collection of used ones for disposal.   I'm not suggesting that is a good idea.  For most people, like me, it is a terrible idea.  But for reducing metered units it may be hard to improve upon.   :D

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #92 on: October 30, 2014, 09:20:09 PM »

question for others.

if you measured all device usage to be e.g. avg of 5 watts per hour across hour for day.
but the actual meter increased by say 12 per day.

what would you do?

One of the main problems can be calculations on paper can be different to actual power consumption, actual power consumption is measured with also taking voltage into account, the other obvious difference in calculations could also be the difference in accuracy of whichever meter is being used to give you a reading, also not forgetting that any manufacturers stated rating is likely to be rounded up or rounded down.

If you download the calculator I uploaded you can see the effect by changing and using different voltage can have.

Actually I'm quite surprised that no-one has already downloaded it instead of nit-picking over minor comments.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #93 on: October 31, 2014, 01:22:02 AM »

Sorry oldfogy was updating the RPi memory card from 8GB Noobs to 32GB without noobs it's fascinating you can't expand the file system with a noobs & OS image.

Yes I opened up a can of worms here, most people in the uk would not know how much each device around the house consumes per hour, the only thing we have is each device will have or be labled or in the manual and state the watts used.

It's very simple XXXX watts * 1 hour = usage, for example a 100 watt light bulb left on for 1 hour will use 100 watts if the bulb is left on for 10 hours this will be seen as 1KW (unit price for 1KW used in the household)

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
rootfs           29G  2.5G   26G   9% /
/dev/root        29G  2.5G   26G   9% /
devtmpfs        215M     0  215M   0% /dev
tmpfs            44M  248K   44M   1% /run
tmpfs           5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
tmpfs            88M     0   88M   0% /run/shm
/dev/mmcblk0p1   56M  9.7M   47M  18% /boot
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 01:42:05 AM by NewtronStar »

Ronski

• Kitizen
« Reply #94 on: October 31, 2014, 06:25:31 AM »

So if I have a 20W CFL and a 100W bulb, does the CFL use less units of my electricity than the 100W bulb?

Yes, the CFL will probably reduce metered units.

But if reducing metered units is all that matters to you, and we are going to overlook all the other issues discussed in this thread, I have another suggestion...

...Replace all your light bulbs with battery operated LED camping lamps, and arrange a regular bulk daily delivery of environmentally evil alkaline batteries, and a daily collection of used ones for disposal.   I'm not suggesting that is a good idea.  For most people, like me, it is a terrible idea.  But for reducing metered units it may be hard to improve upon.   :D

I'm really starting to wonder what planet your from  ;)

Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]