Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Zoostorm 7200/9003/A laptop blue screen/random crash fix. Windows 7 x64  (Read 9118 times)

Bodge99

Hello All,

Long post... Sorry!!

I hope that this might help someone.

We recently bought two of these laptops. Spec follows:
Intel Core i3-4000M, 12GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 15.6 screen, DVDRW, Intel HD graphics, Bluetooth, Wireless N, No Operating System.

Running Linux Mint 17 on one of them. No problems at all. I did change the wifi card for an Intel dual band one.

The second one was bought for SWMBO. I installed windows 7 ultimate onto this with no problems initially. I had to download windows 7 drivers as the supplied driver disk was for windows 8.

Anyone who has built a machine and/or installed windows will be familiar with this.. no biggie.

Anyway, after a couple of days, the windows machine crashed (screen contents "faded" to nothing). A hard reset was required to clear this.
Next, the machine would occasionally blue screen.

Crash dump analysis indicated that (possibly an errant/buggy driver) was crashing the kernel.   

First thing to do was to run the usual diagnostic tools. A full memory check (24 hours) seemed to rule out the memory, A full disk recertification (hdd manufacturers tools, 4 hours.) seemed to rule out any drive problems.

The system was then fully stress tested for 24 hours. All results O.K. (before you wonder, all temps very good, well within spec.).

Now, without voiding the warranty, I couldn't open the case and use a diagnostic card... Technical support got me to do the usual tests (again!). They finally agreed that there was a possible motherboard fault and issued a fault number. Ebuyer could then RMA the machine and replace it.

The replacement arrived a couple of days later. A full reinstall later the machine was up and running.. Guess what happened next.
Yes, the machine blue screened again with the same Stop codes.

O.K. It's possible that there is a bad batch of motherboards.. but I wasn't convinced of this. Then I remembered reading about something similar with some HP desktops (same chipset family). The problem was identified as a problem with "something" that uses the Windows Filtering Platform (google it if required!). There is a patch for this which "should" be delivered via windows update (if required).

The update log showed that this update wasn't installed on the laptop, so I downloaded and installed it manually.

The machine has been running flawlessly for two weeks now. It would appear that this patch has actually solved the problem.

The required file is "Windows6.1-KB2913431-x64.msu" (update KB2913431).

As said before.. I hope that this helps somebody.

Bodge99.

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
Re: Zoostorm 7200/9003/A laptop blue screen/random crash fix. Windows 7 x64
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 11:04:23 AM »

What was the stop code?

IAn

Bodge99

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 11:33:06 AM »

What was the stop code?

IAn

Hi, I archived the logs last week and the NAS is down at the minute.. I'll post the info later.

Bodge99.

Bodge99

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 12:08:29 PM »

Hello,

Having problems with the NAS at the minute.. It's booting but won't appear on the network. I'll look more closely at it later.

Dug out the scribblings that I made when talking to Zoostorm support.

Appears to be F4 03 xx xx.

Whocrashed could not identify anything specific.. just the usual "possible unknown driver/may be a thermal problem" (It wasn't!).

Bodge99

Bodge99

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 11:44:10 AM »

Hello All.

Significant NAS problems at the minute... Ho hum.

I managed to retrieve this one.

One of the WhoCrashed logs:

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Tue 28/09/2014 11:03:47 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\092814-13790-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x75BC0)
Bugcheck code: 0xF4 (0x3, 0xFFFFFA800C81DB30, 0xFFFFFA800C81DE10, 0xFFFFF80002D93270)
Error: CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 28/09/2014 11:03:47 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
Bugcheck code: 0xF4 (0x3, 0xFFFFFA800C81DB30, 0xFFFFFA800C81DE10, 0xFFFFF80002D93270)
Error: CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION
Bug check description: This indicates that a process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

Bodge99.