Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: Now a little anticipation in the broadstairs household  (Read 39187 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Now a little anticipation in the broadstairs household
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2014, 06:59:50 PM »

That looks somewhat more acceptable.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2014, 07:34:33 PM »

How weird re FF & chrome.  I dont see it on Windows, so as you say it may perhaps be a Linux thing.   Anyone else on Linux able to check to see if FF does the same thing for them?

=try http://labs.thinkbroadband.com/ispa/  ?

b*cat, do we know if that is multi or single threaded, I cant seem to find anything which says what it is.

The main thing is that Stuarts connection tonight does look much better than last night. :)
The TBB burst x6 from tonight in chrome, would seem to indicate that its not an ISP configuration issue.
Just checking.. Is this a brand new cab?   See the waves on the green line could indicate congestion, which could be @ ISP or on the  SVLAN.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2014, 07:40:31 PM »

http://labs.thinkbroadband.com/ispa/  ?

b*cat, do we know if that is multi or single threaded, I cant seem to find anything which says what it is.

Unfortunately not . . . I have no idea. The only thing I do know about that throughput tester is that it does not require java or flash plugins.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2014, 08:27:54 PM »

My cab is not a new one, in fact a few weeks ago I could not get FTTC because it needed to be expanded so I guess it does have quite a few users already although I have no idea as to who and what ISPs could be involved. I'm still going to progress it with TT as their speed tester still shows a lower value than I'd expect. Originally the BT site suggested I would see a range of between 50 and 65mbps as a speed so I did expect the 40mbps service to perform better than it does apparently on the TT tester which shows about 27mbps.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2014, 11:05:11 PM »

How weird re FF & chrome.  I dont see it on Windows, so as you say it may perhaps be a Linux thing.   Anyone else on Linux able to check to see if FF does the same thing for them?

=try http://labs.thinkbroadband.com/ispa/  ?

On ADSL  FF              =   3.21 D   0.36 UP    in Mbps.

Chromium  =   3.1   D   0.36 Up

Opera        =  6.3   D   0.35 Up     I have never seen that on my line with 7.8 Mbps peak  :hmm:

Konqueror  =  will not load test !
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2014, 08:04:59 AM »

Well this morning I decided to do the TBB speed test using my wife's laptop (wired) which has W8.1 with FF and the results are

x1 avg 32.65 mbps and burst x1 35.29 mbps
x6  avg 39.30 mbps and burst x6 37.06 mbps

Just run the same test on Linux desktop and still seeing the low x1 speed with FF.

So there is something funny happening with FF on Linux with the faster speeds as I did not see this when using ADSL2+ with a sync of around 8.5 mbps, my last result using that was x1 7.32 mbps and x6 7.24 mbps.

It would be interesting to see the results from a FF Linux user on FTTC.

Stuart

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2014, 08:17:47 AM »

I just ran the BT tester at http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com on the Linux desktop and both FF and chrome come up with almost identical download speeds. FF was 33.22 mbps and Chrome was 32.53 mbps.

Stuart

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2014, 08:24:53 AM »

No problem with FF on Linux here (but it's version 31.2, so not nearly the latest)

Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2014, 10:00:52 AM »

Well I've been playing some more and tried a fresh and vanilla version of a FF profile. No difference in the TBB speed tester results from their standard flash one as before. If I run their new beta version then I do see the far better results in line with what my wife's laptop reports and the BT Wholesale tester results. So I think that there is something strange either with my version of FF (33.1) or the version of flash which I have installed under Linux.

Stuart

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2014, 10:46:21 AM »

Eric looking at your result for speed it is only showing the x6 result which leads me to believe you may be using their new beta speed tester.

I have booted my older F20 Linux system which has FF31 installed and using the TBB flash tester shows the same poor speeds for x1, as does booting F21 beta and running FF 31. The more testing I've done leads me to believe that the problem at least on my system is the TBB flash based speed tester because it seems to fail everywhere I've tried it on Linux using the flash plugin. However Chrome has its own version of flash built-in and using Chrome I get pretty good results. Most other testers I've tried seem to give much better results and I suspect at least some if not all dont use flash.

For now I'm going to leave things alone for a couple of days and let it all settle down as I have been swapping routers quite a lot and I dont want to DLM kicking in.

Stuart

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2014, 11:10:45 AM »

Yes Stuart, you're right. I do get a slower result on the TBB Flash test:

Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2014, 12:18:12 PM »

Eric thanks for confirming that. I think I am going to go on the TT forum and explain what I've found and suggest that in future if their users are Linux based they avoid any speed testers which are flash based as the results could be skewed. I just checked and the TT speed checker is flash based and gives me 26mbps so their tester is not reliable on Linux.

Stuart

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2014, 05:19:42 PM »

Well Im glad that you found out what it was :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2014, 05:37:14 PM »

I have updated my thread on the TT forum and one of their reps thanked me for my comments, who knows if they will do anything about it.

Still strange that FF and flash wont work well on Linux. I guess we will never get it fixed since the last Adobe Flash for Linux is V11.2 as they dont support it any more and Windows is now on V15 I believe.

Stuart

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2014, 08:47:49 AM »

I opened a thread on the ThinkBroadband forums and one comment from one of the staff there was

OSX flash has an oddity that single thread connection max's out at 12 Mbps.

The HTTPx6 and tbbx1 are using different socket methods in flash, and it is feasible the Linux flash implementation has an issue just like OSX. The OSX one is easy to spot we warn users about.

and since OSX is *nix based it is perfectly feasible that Linux has a similar issue albeit not quite as restrictive.

There was at least two other users who had experienced the problem I had so it is an issue generally in Linux I believe.

Stuart
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

anything