Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]

Author Topic: Now a little anticipation in the broadstairs household  (Read 39162 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: Now a little anticipation in the broadstairs household
« Reply #150 on: November 30, 2014, 01:26:11 PM »

Currently INP is 3.5 and Delay is 8.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #151 on: November 30, 2014, 04:42:08 PM »

I agree :) 

... but Im just working from figures provided from MDWS which doesnt record delay... & why I work with whatever s available ie depth.   The highest level Ive seen is normally somewhere around the 1200 mark, theres several other steps another one around 600 but as you say they will vary depending upon sync speed.

Although there are no graphs, you can get the current values for both INP and Delay in one go from one of the two All User Stats listings.... It would be possible to graph them both (probably on one graph) but would need to index them on the database sometime... There are 145 individual items/columns of data available to play with if one had the time  :'(
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #152 on: November 30, 2014, 06:45:00 PM »

you can get the current values for both INP and Delay in one go from one of the two All User Stats listings

I didnt realise they were in that section so thank you for letting me know. 
I dont think it is something that we normally take a too much notice of, its only really this past week with the BT/ASSIA thing and the usual process seeming to have changed a little that we are possibly scrutinising such things more closely. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #153 on: December 02, 2014, 11:13:34 AM »

There doesnt seem to be much difference between the Zyxel & the HG612 on broadstairs line when it comes to E/Secs. 

I agree that the Zyxel may have given some more CRCs but from the graphs I wouldnt say its a substantial amount certainly not to the point where the DLM is going to be interested.   SHINE can produce different burst levels and vary too much to drawn anything conclusive for example look how much the 26ths and 27ths varied whilst still using the HG612.  On the 23rd broadstairs line suffered quite a steep peak burst of CRCs but in all fairness who is to say that it couldnt have happened on the HG612.

You may feel Im being defensive about the Zyxel, but I do feel its totally unfair to compare it with the ASUS - theyre not in the same league.  The ASUS has big problems in that its causing most people to be DLM'd.. yet the Zyxel has given quite a lot of people much better line conditions. I'll admit that Zyxel could perhaps be more pro-active with f/w releases, but look at Ronski's line is an example.  He suffers from lots of noise yet the Zyxel gives him a higher bit rate and more recently he even had interleaving completely removed.  OK it didnt last for long because he suffered a really nasty noise burst which made the DLM take action again.. but since being on the Zyxel - and hes been on it for several months now, he certainly seems to have faired better when it comes to the DLM and bitrate.

Ive got a couple of TPlinks here.  My line gets loads more errors using the TPlink and it wouldnt even give me an 80/20 now, it doesnt perform anywhere as good as the BCMs.   TPlink sent me another router just to check it wasnt a one off hardware issue, but both perform the same..  yet I still class it as stable because it performs along the same lines as the ECI modem and better than the HH5 when on a BTr line.   Most people seem to find that the BCM routers do perform better, yet there is still the odd line which does better with the Lantiq chipset.

On the whole so far, I'd still rate the HG612, the Billion and the Zyxel in the top 3.   Id certainly rate the ASUS as the worst... and all the others fall somewhere in between.   

Agreed, although I think the zyxel has some issues, as you said the issues are not even close to the asus which seems a train wreck of a device.

I love my billion, stable fast firmware, and can even now collect stats using the WAN cable so no 2nd cable needed.
The zyxel syncs higher than the billion but on certian lines may have a higher error rate and some of the firmwares are flaky.  Also as a router the zyxel is a better spec than the 8800nl.
The hg612 is the cheapest (or even free if openreach gave you one) and remains a solid choice.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #154 on: December 03, 2014, 09:58:17 AM »

Well yesterday I had the f/w update on my HG635 which then had a problem where it lost my manual DHCP DSN server settings. Today I have been put back on Fastpath but this caused a drop and reconnect of my HG635 which again lost my DHCP DNS settings. I did report the problem to TT but as yet have had no response from their Forum. When I get a response I will tell them it is an ongoing issue, trouble is if I update the forum thread now it will go to the bottom of the pile!

Stuart

Just remembered I could edit my post on the TT forum without it changing my place in the queue!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 10:06:10 AM by broadstairs »

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #155 on: December 03, 2014, 10:46:20 AM »

If your using the automatically provided DNS from TT? --  it may better to manually configure the DNS in the DHCP settings on the HG635.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #156 on: December 03, 2014, 11:27:24 AM »

If your using the automatically provided DNS from TT? --  it may better to manually configure the DNS in the DHCP settings on the HG635.

I have configured my required DNS server settings manually, that is the issue here it is this manual setting of the DNS server which gets deleted the setting is still selected but the server addresses are blank.

Stuart

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #157 on: December 03, 2014, 11:40:17 AM »

Hmm - not good.

Did you try a full reset as if your only using it a router and not a modem you don't need to have the telnet config file present. There does not seem to have been any update on the dsl side of the firmware so after errors you had in your last full modem +router try, I would recommend, that like me, you hesitate from using it again as modem.   
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 03:43:05 PM by les-70 »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #158 on: December 03, 2014, 05:21:16 PM »

Well yesterday I had the f/w update on my HG635 which then had a problem where it lost my manual DHCP DSN server settings. Today I have been put back on Fastpath but this caused a drop and reconnect of my HG635 which again lost my DHCP DNS settings. I did report the problem to TT but as yet have had no response from their Forum. When I get a response I will tell them it is an ongoing issue, trouble is if I update the forum thread now it will go to the bottom of the pile!

Stuart

Just remembered I could edit my post on the TT forum without it changing my place in the queue!

One other tip when using the TT forum is lock your own post. That way it stops any "me too" posting by other users which would then send your post to the bottom of the pile.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #159 on: December 03, 2014, 05:39:50 PM »

One other tip when using the TT forum is lock your own post. That way it stops any "me too" posting by other users which would then send your post to the bottom of the pile.

Yes I've done that in the past too. However I've just checked and that option seems to have gone awol!

Stuart

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #160 on: December 07, 2014, 11:18:49 AM »

From MDWS you look to be running along quite safely re errors at the moment.  You could probably run at 60/20 without getting too many more errors.  If the TT limit for fast path is 1440ES/day anything around or a bit less than 720ES/day is probably optimum for your line in terms of errors/vs sync speed.  However I must admit that without doing speed tests I would find it almost impossible to tell the difference between say 50 and 70 Mb/s.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #161 on: December 07, 2014, 11:51:51 AM »

Yes it is looking not bad now. What I might do is to take down both HG635 and HG612 at the same time so I can do the f/w downgrade to 1.04 which seemed , at least for me, not to exhibit the  DHCP problem, plus when I re-sync I can up the speed on the HG612.

Stuart
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]