Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: Now a little anticipation in the broadstairs household  (Read 39190 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Now a little anticipation in the broadstairs household
« on: October 29, 2014, 01:38:52 PM »

Decided today to order 38mb FTTC but stay with TalkTalk. That way seemed easier and I hope that the FTTC will be as trouble free as my ADSL2+ service has been. The cost comparison with Plusnet is very similar now and in 12 months when the deal expires, Plusnet is where I was thinking of moving to but since they dont yet do self install and TT do decided to stay put. Yes I know TT upload is only 2mb but I dont do that much uploading, only very small text files from my weather station. The activation day is 11th November. I will initially use my Zyxel F1000 rather than their 'super router' and see how it goes. When I checked my speeds it does not show that I could get anything much faster than their medium speeds so chose not to go large.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Now a little anticipation in the broadstairs household
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 03:59:41 PM »

Good luck Stuart. I hope it goes well.
  Eric

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 04:02:53 PM »

Welcome aboard the FTTC Choo-choo train ...... hope it goes as flawlessly as it should do ?

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 04:39:16 PM »

With any luck it will just restart on FTTC with the F1000. I already have an SSFP MK3 installed and the router is set for any type of connection so fingers crossed!

Stuart

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 05:26:35 PM »

Just for information, in case you were unawares, on the day of the migration you will NOT receive a phone call to inform you the switch is about to take place. This is protocol and is highlighted on the job to, "Not contact the EU".

Just a heads up in case you are working on something important, bidding on e-Bay, booking holidays on-line, etc etc etc ....

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 05:29:06 PM »

Just for information, in case you were unawares, on the day of the migration you will NOT receive a phone call to inform you the switch is about to take place. This is protocol and is highlighted on the job to, "Not contact the EU".

Just a heads up in case you are working on something important, bidding on e-Bay, booking holidays on-line, etc etc etc ....

Thanks for the warning, it is doubtful I'd be doing that anyway but will bear it in mind.

Stuart

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 01:04:21 AM »

Good luck - Hope all goes well for you :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 03:06:01 PM »

TalkTalk are not making me believe they know what they are doing.... I had a confirmation letter this morning which said two different activation days in the same letter, in one place it says the 12th and later in the letter it says the 10th of November. Since I cant rely on a broadband service on activation day until it completes I have asked on their forum for clarification.

Stuart

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 03:01:31 PM »

Well gone live this afternoon on TT Fibre Medium with d/l speed of 39998kbps and u/l speed of 2000kbps. Initially I put the HG635 on but once I knew it was OK I switched back to the F1000.

Now for TT the settings on Kitz page do not work. I had to set the Encapsulation to IPoE and NOT PPPoE and with this setting there is no userid or password to provide.

Now with that it is all working on the ZyXEL OK. I also have DSLStats running now and for now still uploading to MyDslWebStats. My user name on there is broadstair by the way as it wont allow more than 10 characters so no s!

Stuart

« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 03:10:55 PM by broadstairs »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2014, 03:42:28 PM »

Glad it all went smoothly, altgough those nice attainable figures of 86295 & 26062 seem wasted on talk talk.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2014, 04:11:12 PM »

Yay - well done :D

btw - I dont want to rain on your bonfire, but have you noticed that from that TBB speedtest your speed for a single thread seems to be limited to 20Mbps, and it took multiple connections to get the 40Mbps?
I'd keep an eye on that to see if it changes, because atm it means that your real throughput speeds are only 20Mbps.   The first set of results should be similar to the 2nd eg

It could be caused by several things but usually either QoS (ISP traffic shaping),  Congestion or MTU
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2014, 04:50:13 PM »

I concur with kitz, you want your single threaded performance to be your line speed.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2014, 05:45:21 PM »

Yes I did wonder about that myself. I'll do some more tests and also test using TT's own speed tester, still 20mbps is much better than the 8 I was getting.

It was not completely straight forward as the HG635 could not stay because the DDNS wont work, and the F1000 took a while to get to connect as I could not compare the HG635 settings directly with the ZyXEL so it was a guess about the Encapsulation setting.

The F1000 MTU is 1500 btw.

Stuart
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 05:48:19 PM by broadstairs »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2014, 05:48:37 PM »

Just to clarify, Stuart. You are taking TalkTalk's 40/2 Mbps service?  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2014, 05:52:00 PM »

Just to clarify, Stuart. You are taking TalkTalk's 40/2 Mbps service?  :-\

Yes because I wanted self install and Plusnet are dragging their feet over that. I may go for TTs 80/20 if I decide I want to spend the extra. To be honest we dont do a lot of TV or any movie watching and the largest downloads I do are Linux distros once or twice a year so 80/20 is not really necessary - although would be nice to have  ;)

Stuart
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11