Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: NASA: Antares Rocket Launch Failure (28/10/2014)  (Read 6641 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
NASA: Antares Rocket Launch Failure (28/10/2014)
« on: October 28, 2014, 11:05:46 PM »

[youtube]Uh5oYmTURhc[/youtube]
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: NASA: Antares Rocket Launch Failure (28/10/2014)
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 11:43:53 PM »

[youtube]Uh5oYmTURhc[/youtube]

That link does not work for me.   This WP article, I assume, describes the same event...

http://wapo.st/1wE6002

It all reminds me of the fate of the early Apollo mission, Apollo 1.  But credit to the USA, rather than abandon they stuck with it and landed on the Moon a few years later.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/january/27/newsid_3392000/3392419.stm
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 12:05:32 AM by sevenlayermuddle »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 12:03:27 AM »

Link?  :-\  Something must be blocking things at your end, for it is an embedded YouTube video clip.

This screen-scrape shows exactly what I see --

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 12:11:10 AM »

Link?  :-\  Something must be blocking things at your end, for it is an embedded YouTube video clip.

This screen-scrape shows exactly what I see --

Yes, I do believe that is the same footage as WP.

I cannot explain why the youtube version works for you and not me, other than to state I am always doubtful and suspicious/ of anything hosted/published/owned by google. :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 12:26:56 AM »

It all reminds me of the fate of the early Apollo mission, Apollo 1.  But credit to the USA, rather than abandon they stuck with it and landed on the Moon a few years later.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/january/27/newsid_3392000/3392419.stm

Hmm . . . 47 years ago. It doesn't seem that long ago, to me.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 08:58:39 AM »

I tried the youtube clip again this morning and interestingly it has audio but no video.   I did not notice the audio last night as I deliberately had the sound muted.

That is with an iPad, and one that is (deliberately) not allowed to update very often, which probably explains things.

Back to the exploding rocket, BBC news this morning seemed to be hinting that the issue involves a decision by NASA to contract out deliveries to ISS.   Can't help thinking it puts into context the problems of home delivery couriers that we more usually discuss on these forums.   :D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 08:19:28 PM »

Back to the exploding rocket, BBC news this morning seemed to be hinting that the issue involves a decision by NASA to contract out deliveries to ISS.   Can't help thinking it puts into context the problems of home delivery couriers that we more usually discuss on these forums.   :D

Oops!  ::)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 10:34:07 PM »

I've been thinking more about this each time I see it on the news, and the whole concept of subcontracted low-cost deliveries to ISS...

... and  I can't seem to shake off a strange visualisation, whereby an unmarked white van pulls into orbit alongside the space station. An Astronaut leaps out of the driver's door and pushes a 'sorry we missed you' card through the letterbox then, with a small puff of exhaust smoke, drops out of orbit back towards Earth with all the supplies still in the back of the van.

:lol:

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 01:52:29 PM »

I've been thinking more about this each time I see it on the news, and the whole concept of subcontracted low-cost deliveries to ISS...

... and  I can't seem to shake off a strange visualisation, whereby an unmarked white van pulls into orbit alongside the space station. An Astronaut leaps out of the driver's door and pushes a 'sorry we missed you' card through the letterbox then, with a small puff of exhaust smoke, drops out of orbit back towards Earth with all the supplies still in the back of the van.

:lol:

that's exactly what would happen  :P

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 03:20:54 PM »

You do realise that the Antares uses Soviet rocket units from the 1960's and 70's
No, that is not DESIGN'S from that era
It is ACTUAL rocket units which have been sitting in Siberian warehouse for a few decades, refurbished, given a dust down and with the ignition button then pressed.

The view from the Cessa orbiting just outside the exclusion zone is good on this one
http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2014/10/28/breaking_antares_rocket_explodes_on_takeoff.html

anything