Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Or to put it another way  (Read 6593 times)

mywifeshusband

Or to put it another way
« on: October 28, 2014, 02:35:57 PM »

Or to put my thread "BT Mail & Outlook" another way in roughly BT's own words, 'BT does not support the use of MS Outlook with its new BT mail service. it used to with BT/Yahoo but not with the replacement service BT Mail. If it works then 'Good' ' - but if it doesn't then hard luck. BT are too busy switching customers from BT/Yahoo to BT Mail to spend a lot of time ironing out snags.

To give BT their due they have probably been as helpful as they can be,  but the problem remains and I can no longer use my preferred 'Industry Standard' emailing platform.
Please post back if BT mail + Outlook works for you, & similarly if it doesn't.
Ta!

loonylion

• Reg Member
Re: Or to put it another way
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 07:08:03 PM »

I'm not sure outlook can be considered industry standard given that it's notorious for violating the RFCs and not implementing things properly. What protocol does your email system use, outlook is well known for having issues with IMAP in particular. The place my dad used to work at used outlook express rather than outlook simply because OE had better IMAP support.

mywifeshusband

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 07:54:28 PM »

Thanks for your reply. Outlook ran on POP3 until I gave control of my PC over to BT helpdesk in order to try and solve this issue.  They changed it to IMAP but both failed to work both on Windows 7 running Outlook and my XP running both Outlook and Outlook express. I was under the impression that Outlook Express was not supported by Windows 7 which offer Live Mail instead. All platforms fail to send emails via my home HUb5, asking repeatedly for password / user name to be corrected. These are the same user name ad password that are accepted by BT mail and the other program based emailing platforms sent via a portable G3 hot spot.          I suspect my HH5 may be at fault but I can't convince BT as yet to change it.

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 09:14:23 PM »

I would suggest trying mozilla thunderbird, if that doesn't work either then it would appear that your hh5 is mangling the authentication somehow, which it shouldn't be doing.

mywifeshusband

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 09:10:37 PM »

Hello Loonylion
Tried it! Thanks for the suggestion. Monzilla Thunderbird rejects outgoing mail in just the same way as MS Outlook if sent through  Home Hub 5. Goes like clockwork though via the G3 hotspot.  I agree it does look like a faulty HH or perhaps the BT technology in their side of the HH. Problem is though that if the blue light is bright and steady they can't see the router or their Infinity is at fault.
The fact that no one else has come in on this thread suggests to me that this particular fault is not effecting anyone else but me which again suggests my HH5 rather than the BT technology that feeds it.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 09:39:27 PM »

I find it strange that a router has issues with only outgoing mail and nothing else, true that there may not be much else which uses authentication but at least in my case incoming mail also uses authentication. I would expect there to be other issues as well if the router was at fault. One interesting thought is to try webmail (if your mail server provides such a thing) as this uses a web browser and see if that works.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 07:35:13 AM »

Have you seen this?   I know it mentions Windows 8, but perhaps it might be of use.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 08:12:56 AM »

Having read through this again I do find it strange that you believe it to be the router (HH5).  Are you saying that devices which send mail OK via a 3G connection will fail sending mail using the exact same program when connected to your HH5?

You see my issue with this is that a router does not care about the contents of packets being transmitted, it simply routes the packets across the internet. If the router is mangling the data in packets then I'd expect it to happen to any data being transmitted not just user/password combination.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

mywifeshusband

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 08:00:10 PM »

Thanks to those who have contributed so far.
Responding to your various points
Yes I have BT webmail which I am forced to use as it is the only wifi facility available to me at home. This works well enough but I find it fussy to use and prefer a program based platform like Outlook, Outlook Express, Webmail, none of these work (send) via wifi but do send from the same programs via the G3 hotspot. Since posting last I have taken my laptop up to the local church. logged on to their wifi router and been able to receive and send using Outlook etc. Now I'm no expert but to me as a one time professional building services maintenance engineer, the common cause of failure seems to be my HH5 or what BT have connected to it on their side of the device. Take my HH5 out of the equation in replace it with a G3 hotspot OR someone else's router in a different location and everything works perfectly.
Please tell me what I'm missing!   

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 08:15:25 PM »

Do you have a BT Wifi (Openzone) connection you can try?

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 10:16:40 PM »

If it's any inspiration I recently started hitting an 'out of the blue' issue with mail access (in this case, google Apps) whereby connections were rejected, asking for password etc, when it made no sense.  This on a system that had been stable and reliable for months.

I can't remember the exact details, but vaguely... the root problem turned out to be a newly acquired and configured Android phone.  Its mail client was opening multiple IMAP connections, and blowing some connection limit that was set at the server, such that other mail clients like my
PC, iPad etc, were sometimes refused connection.   The fix was buried in the Android mail app's settings, limiting the number of IMAP connections, whereupon everything else started working reliably.

Sorry I can't be more specific, must learn to write things down so I don't forget so easily !  :-[

mywifeshusband

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2014, 11:47:42 AM »

Thanks to all who have contributed here, to what appears to be a very unusual HH fault.
However a thought occurred which takes us off in a completely different direction, prompted by something one of you wrote here.
Before I explain I should just say that BT off shore help have taken control of my PC at least 4 times in the last few day and deleted accounts, re installed them, changed passwords several time in an attempt to solve the problem we have been discussing here.
Now although I always used Outlook my BT account was a BT/yahoo joint venture away from which BT have just switched me to the new BT Mail
I thought I'd log on to Yahoo  mail and wondered, as I haven't used it for a long time, which password to use. It refused the current password but accepted the old original that I used before all this trouble blew up.               
Far from taking  me to the Yahoo   mail page it gave me direct access to my e'mails on BT Mail.  THAT is access using a redundant password.
Now could this be the root cause of the problem, TWO passwords conflicting in the  Outlook (and other) e'mail platforms.
So I thought changing  my Yahoo password might solve the problem but I can't see a way to do it as logging on to Yahoo now takes me into BT mail and not the Yahoo account management page.
Any ideas?

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2014, 11:53:35 AM »

Have you tried using uk.yahoo.com ?