Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: low priority modem stats - ronski  (Read 3656 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
low priority modem stats - ronski
« on: October 27, 2014, 03:25:36 AM »

Is it possible to add a option to make the task run at lowest priority (so only uses idle cpu) as the stats collection on normal priority causes stuttering in ff13.  Also this may also slow down the apps a bit as my system seems to be a constant issue of been too fast.  Also I would like the priority to be set when using either of the 2 graph creation buttons as well. :)

Ronski

• Kitizen
Re: low priority modem stats - ronski
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 03:42:12 PM »

Hi Chrysalis, you can change the task priority on the task menu. If you need any other task priorities you can export the task via task scheduler,  alter the priority and then import it again.

The two graph creation buttons don't have tasks, they just run programs.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 11:19:02 PM »

yeah but the option is only for normal or high, I want it at "lowest" :) but I will do the export import trick thanks.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 07:55:03 PM »

ronski I exported the task, edited priority from 7 to 10
deleted old task
reimported task

now the gui app says task does not exist but it is there in task scheduler.

Ronski

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 10:30:47 PM »

When you imported it did you use exactly the same name? Only other thing I can think of is that you imported it into a folder,  and not the route.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 07:46:31 AM »

the name is the same yes.

On import the task becomes owned by the admin user, after manually changing it to my username, the app detects it again, however the app cannot disable it, so e.g. if I disable both types of stats it stays enabled.

Seems easier if you just add the option ;)

The problem I have is two fold, this runs too fast on my rig and BE doesnt seem keen on slowing it down.  I still cannot create snapshot stat graphs.
Second when in games it causes stuttering so I want it to only use idle cpu clocks.

Ronski

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 10:01:37 AM »

May be easier for you  ;)

So I've just spent the last hour and a half altering the program just for you  ;D

I've attached a new updated program and would appreciate it if you could test it please, just extract over your existing copy.

• I'd like you to delete your schedule task, use the menu option to use the low priority task (unchecked)
  • Create the task, then export it and check that the task priority value is 4
  • Then delete your task and use the menu option to select the high priority task (checked)
  • Create the task, then export it and check that the task priority value is 7
  • Finally close the GUI program, navigate to C:\HG612_Modem_Stats\Scripts\Editor (presumes default path), and edit the Editor.ini file. Change the value of TaskPriority to the value you require and save it. (This was previously a YES or NO setting)
  • Start the GUI program and create the task (Do not click the task priority option, as this will change it back to 4 or 7!)
  • Export the task and check the priority value.

Hopefully that will do the trick and you can feed back how you get on, I've done it this way as the current way works for everyone else and I don't wish to complicate things for everyone else, although the changes will be in new updates no one will see any diffence regarding task priorites.

Regarding your current stats problems hopefully now BE1 is back he can get that sorted.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2014, 10:40:56 AM »

The problem I have is two fold, this runs too fast on my rig and BE doesnt seem keen on slowing it down.  I still cannot create snapshot stat graphs.

If you email the logs to me that I requested, I should be able to determine where it needs slowing down (if that is indeed still necessary).

Maybe you missed my email of 25th October?

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 10:51:24 AM »

Second when in games it causes stuttering so I want it to only use idle cpu clocks.

I'm surprised that happens, especially as you have such a fast PC.

Maybe you could limit it to only using one core of your processor via the Processor Affinity setting in Task Manager if all else fails.

I don't know if changing that setting would remain permanent though.

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2014, 01:54:18 PM »

Maybe you could limit it to only using one core of your processor via the Processor Affinity setting in Task Manager if all else fails.

It is not permanent, it resets when the process dies.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2014, 03:46:01 PM »

Just found this to make a program run with a pre-set priority:-

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/40287-cpu-priority-shortcut-program-create-windows.html

Once the shortcut & task are created, it may work if the task is manually edited to run the shortcut instead of the program ???

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2014, 10:41:50 PM »

sadly its not permanent, only for the lifetime of the process.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2014, 11:00:46 PM »

May be easier for you  ;)

So I've just spent the last hour and a half altering the program just for you  ;D

I've attached a new updated program and would appreciate it if you could test it please, just extract over your existing copy.

• I'd like you to delete your schedule task, use the menu option to use the low priority task (unchecked)
  • Create the task, then export it and check that the task priority value is 4
  • Then delete your task and use the menu option to select the high priority task (checked)
  • Create the task, then export it and check that the task priority value is 7
  • Finally close the GUI program, navigate to C:\HG612_Modem_Stats\Scripts\Editor (presumes default path), and edit the Editor.ini file. Change the value of TaskPriority to the value you require and save it. (This was previously a YES or NO setting)
  • Start the GUI program and create the task (Do not click the task priority option, as this will change it back to 4 or 7!)
  • Export the task and check the priority value.

Hopefully that will do the trick and you can feed back how you get on, I've done it this way as the current way works for everyone else and I don't wish to complicate things for everyone else, although the changes will be in new updates no one will see any diffence regarding task priorites.

Regarding your current stats problems hopefully now BE1 is back he can get that sorted.

works perfect, the exported tasks were the reversed of what you said for first 2 exports.  But 3rd step has priority 10 :) and now the app can disable/enable task again,, thanks.

Ronski

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2014, 03:39:58 PM »

Thanks Chrysalis, the results you got are correct. I've just transposed the numbers when I typed up my reply.