Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Keyboard Problem  (Read 12877 times)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Keyboard Problem
« on: September 16, 2006, 08:14:09 PM »

Okay, here's one to tax the thinking caps.
Every so often my keyboard stops working.

Three times when typing this post.
I am typing away, then the speaker makes a sound and I find that nothing has been typed since the sound from the speaker,
"which is obviously just a warning sound".

So it then means having to go back to where it stopped typing and re-select "with the mouse pointer" before I can start again.
Even the flashing mouse cursor/pointer disappears.

(I just did a spell check with iespellcheck, decided to add the second line down,
started to re-type and it happened again. (Three times in total while typing this post).

This only seems to happen after using iespellcheck.

Has any one got an explanation or come across this before please.
It also happens on my Laptop which also has iespellcheck, so not just this PC.
And has only recently started to happen.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 08:16:09 PM by oldfogy »

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
Re: Keyboard Problem
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 09:41:03 PM »

Have you tried upgrading to a newer version of the speilckequer?  I found this same thing happening from time to time then it went away.

I cannot account for it unless it was a result of installing the new version of IE Spell.  I was blaming the browser (Avant Browser 10.1.29).

Remind me never to say things like "then it went away" because it just did it again.  :-X  I was trying to change "downloading" to "installing" in line 2 of this post and, because I was inserting rather than overwriting the keyboard froze.  It seems the problem arises when the last letter of the line reaches the end of the edit box.  At this point you have to delete something to allow the extra space needed.  Does this make any sort of sense? And no, it don't do it every time.

If I am right then it is a Forum software problem/feature/bug/glitch and not your keyboard, or mine.

You may have to hit Kitz with this one  >:D

Some people are like slinkies: they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 10:59:59 PM »

now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the party.
the quick brown fox jumped Ive the lazy dog

the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog
now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the party
now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the party
okay now I'm starting to struggle to wonder what to type to see if this breaks on me or does anything stupid.
which it doesn't seem to be doing ...  now isn't that just typical. okay lets check and see if my spiel checker does anything stupid...
nope just used my spiel checker and everything still seems fine... lets try again.

and ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh
now it did do something silly
and brought up something from the nav menu but it wont bleeding do it again now
run spell checker again.. but still its behaving.
run spell checker again

lets try that again and run the spiel checker again.
now is t

okay getting nearer to finding out what is happening..  the *dink* indicated that an item on the tool bar has been initiated.
therefore for some reason, use of the spell checker must be taking the typing box "out of focus" and "on focus on the tool bar". lets run by that again and nope now its behaving. no it isn't its definitely a problem with the focus.
Now Ive figured out how to break it...  type something do the spell checker, let the spell chucker correct the entry, then press any key which is a shortcut to the ie tool bar.

Got it I think.. after using ie spell it puts focus on the post button for some reason, rather than in the typing box.
When you then press a key which activates the toolbar such as F E a T H, then that activates the toolbar menu. hence the dink and why you can no longer type in the text box
lets test that again. backspace may also have something to do with it.

I dont think its anything to do with the forum software.. it seems to be more something to do with iespell taking the typing box out of focus.

lets manually put the focus on the typing box and now everthing seems to work ok.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 11:07:12 PM »

Guys...  Ive tried to replicate this problem.. and have found that I can only re-create it after Ive used iespell.

It would appear that for some reason after using iespell....  if you try and type something.. if you type a letter that would pull up the toolbar at the top of your browser then this will initiate the toolbar command.

In programming on focus means the area where (or text) box which the computer is concentrated on.
For some reason it would appear that after using IE spell it doesnt return focus to the box where you type in text correctly, and the focus is still in the main browser window.
Therefore when you say for example type "t" after using iespell then it will bring up the Tools.. or typing "h" would bring up the help menu.

If this is the case, then I would say its more likely to be a bug in iespell and not the forum software.

To get around it you have to make damn sure that focus is back in the text box...  but it would also seem that if for any reason you use the backspace key, this can also take focus away from the input text box.

Chris..  do you wanna try it if you get chance at some point and see if you can re-create the same problems, and also if you come to the same conclusion.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2006, 01:32:03 AM »

I don't mean it nastily and I don't like to share problems "only cures" , but thank god it's not just me.

Kitz, If you remember about 2 weeks ago I posted an item in your "Free Software" thread regarding iespellchecker update?

You may want to alter that post to pre-warn people that there may be a fault with that up-grade.
 (on second thoughts see last part of this post).

As you say with regards to the Tool bar, that also explains why on 2 occasions I have had a "Supanet" browser open up " I have a shortcut to Supanet in my favourites".
Yes it only happens just after doing a spell check, then seems to cure itself until spell checked again.

I will have to check which version I am using "probably same as you both" and if I still have the older version in my files.

Thanks Kitz & feliscatusx2
You've both been a big help

Current version with problems is: 2.1.1.325
Other version in storage is: 2.4.0.428 this is probably the newer version, ( I must have re-ghosted my drive and not re-updated this program).

Which version are you using,......... please.

No checks and NO PROBLEM'S "until now", as I have just done a check.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2006, 01:48:46 AM »

I have just replaced it with v2.4.0.428 so will have to see if the prob ............... (yes same problem) this time I noticed the "Edit" menu opened as I started to type "problem".

I have also just tried www.iespell.com but no page found.

So, it looks like I will have to leave checking until the end or put up with the problem, for now at least.
But at least I/we now know where the problem is.

Thanks again both....

Could it be anything to do with Java "jdk-1_5_0_08-windows-i586-p.exe" as again I have only recently installed this?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 01:52:48 AM by oldfogy »

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2006, 10:32:20 AM »

> Could it be anything to do with Java "jdk-1_5_0_08-windows-i586-p.exe" as again I have only recently installed this?

Wouldn't imagine so, ieSpell doesn't use Java, and you didn't have any java apps running did you?
Chris

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2006, 04:31:41 PM »

> Could it be anything to do with Java "jdk-1_5_0_08-windows-i586-p.exe" as again I have only recently installed this?
I Wouldn't imagine so, ieSpell doesn't use Java, and you didn't have any java apps running did you?
I Wouldn't imagine so, ieSpell doesn't use Java, and you didn't have any java apps running did you?

Re Java:
I don't use java of any kind that "I know of" except when occasionally I get a toolbar message saying Java needs to run, "allow access or not".
The only reason I installed it was because it came recommended as a update.
But as you say it can't be that, as I have now rolled back my PC 2 months, before installing the Java update and the same problem still exists.

At least we now know what is causing it to happen "although annoyingly" so I think I will leave it at that, or at least until there may be an alternative spell checker for IE or a possible remedy appears.
(Just leave checking until the end, or put up with it as I know it will happen).

Thanks Chris
Phil

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2006, 04:54:21 PM »

I think it must be a quirk of iespell
I just tested my above findings on a couple of other forums, where it does the same thing.

Im currently using v 2.1.1.235, but Ive used previous versions for years, yet Ive never noticed this before..  but possibly because Im quiet lazy and dont always use it.. or at least only do so to check a post after Ive typed it.

I suppose at least now we are aware of when and why it does it we can we on the lookout.
-----

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2006, 05:39:03 PM »

Google Toolbar has a speelng chekker too (it accepts both British and American English words, though, which might not suit everybody).

*edit* Sorry kitz, didn't see your request for me to try it earlier. Will do so later on. :)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 05:41:37 PM by mr_chris »
Chris

Accordion

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2006, 01:09:41 PM »

Can I join in?

I would have considered this behaviour as 'normal' in that activation of another program (in this case Spellchecker) changes the active window focus. Returning to the posting page has been done, but at the top level, not the message box. Hence the active window has become the menu commands.

I've seen similar behaviour using other programs, can't think of any off-hand. Unless you count using the Alt+Tab key to switch between open programs. Sometimes I've been working away feverishly and found that I've pressed Alt without the tab key. Anything could happen because that has put me into the menu commands of whatever program I was working in.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2006, 04:09:29 PM »

Hi Dave,
Thanks for that.

Yes, at one time I used to think that I had pressed the Alt key by accident, but then realised it was happening too often so started taking more notice of just when it did happen.

But as I say, at least I now know what was causing it to happen and can rest easier, with leaving the check until the end, or at least be prepared for it to happen.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2006, 02:27:31 AM »

A newer version of iespell has recently been released, v2.4.0 Build 428

On their homepage (which is now back up and running) after being high-jacked.
It now shows several bug fixes and a few, "right click" enhancement's since the last version of v2.4.0

So hopefully this might resolve the problem.

http://www.iespell.com/download.php

EVIL-SCOTSMAN

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2006, 06:23:08 PM »

maybe nothing to do with this, but have you got sticky keys turned on in windows xp ? if so turn them off as if you hit shift or alt or control 5 times within a set period of like 5 seconds or so, your pc will beep and sticky keys will be turned on and they basically act as shortcuts for whatever and can be a pain in teh butt, also for your pc to beep, holding down 3 keys on your keyboard at the same time will make the pc beep, not all of them mind you, just some will make the beeping noise if you have held or pushed 3 keys by mistake.

i know i am again late to the thread, but it may help, probably not.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2006, 07:07:45 PM »

Hi Evil-Scotsman.

Thanks for the suggestion, but it is definitely a iespell problem as under test from different people it does the same thing, but thanks for the thought anyway.

A newer version of iespell has recently been released, v2.4.0 Build 428
Although this has still not solved the problem either.
Pages: [1] 2

anything